Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge from cuttings

Options
  • 15-08-2018 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I took cuttings from a mature yew tree around a year ago. They're still in their pots, around 7 per pot. I've lost around 10% which was to be expected, but the remaining 60 aren't dead but don't seem to be growing rapidly either. A lot did put on a sprig of fresh green growth during the summer but kind of stopped then. I can't see roots at the bottom of the pots. Cuttings are around 6 inches tall.

Is this normal? When should I plant these in the ground? I intend to make a hedge. Should I pot them on? Should they be in a greenhouse?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

I took cuttings from a mature yew tree around a year ago. They're still in their pots, around 7 per pot. I've lost around 10% which was to be expected, but the remaining 60 aren't dead but don't seem to be growing rapidly either. A lot did put on a sprig of fresh green growth during the summer but kind of stopped then. I can't see roots at the bottom of the pots. Cuttings are around 6 inches tall.

Is this normal? When should I plant these in the ground? I intend to make a hedge. Should I pot them on? Should they be in a greenhouse?
    Thanks
    No experience of yew cuttings, just that yew is slow but also tough.

I suggest to dig a few out and see if they are rooting in pots. If so then maybe re-pot and wait at least to winter to plant out - but only if you can keep them weeded.
    I would not put them in a greenhouse if they are already outside.

Advertisement