Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Report: 'Thousands' of Children Sexually Abused by Hundreds of 'Predator Priests'

• 15-08-2018 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/child-sex-abuse-victims-predator-priests-pennsylvania-grand-jury-report-a8491941.html
    More than 1,000 children were molested by hundreds of “predator priests” among six Roman Catholic dioceses in Pennsylvania, a grand jury report revealed.

The investigation identified more than 300 priests who it alleged committed the abuse over decades.

The report suggested that the “real number” of child abuse victims was likely to be ”in the thousands”.

It added: “We believe that the real number of children whose records were lost or who were afraid ever to come forward is in the thousands.

The report is thought to be the most comprehensive to date into abuse in the US church, but while prosecutors have filed charges against two priests, the vast majority of crimes happened too long ago to prosecute under current laws.

It is absolutely harrowing that we are still dealing with this bullsh**, with the Church going so far as to refuse to pay damages by claiming the victims 'consented'.

The fallout from this towards good, innocent priests and Catholics is also going to be sad to see and hopefully does not end up in some form of vigilante backlash with how heightened the current climate in the US is at the moment anyway. Hopefully the victims get some form of justice or closure for this horrific abuse, and hopefully the scumbags responsible get what they have coming.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Do they shoot lasers and have a telltale shimmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I wonder how many Irish names appear on the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

"We believe"- so making up numbers then for effect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭OB1Kildare

in many cases the church were just moving the problem priests around from one state to another ...creating town after town of victims. They have never in my mind fully apologized for the conduct - from those at the top to the ones preying on the school kids.....and i doubt they ever will .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Never ever trust a priest. Filth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Billy86 wrote: »
    The fallout from this towards good, innocent priests
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/child-sex-abuse-victims-predator-priests-pennsylvania-grand-jury-report-a8491941.html

It is absolutely harrowing that we are still dealing with this bullsh**, with the Church going so far as to refuse to pay damages by claiming the victims 'consented'.

The fallout from this towards good, innocent priests and Catholics is also going to be sad to see and hopefully does not end up in some form of vigilante backlash with how heightened the current climate in the US is at the moment anyway. Hopefully the victims get some form of justice or closure for this horrific abuse, and hopefully the scumbags responsible get what they have coming.

Sure the 'good' priests, if they weren't doing the fiddlin themselves were doing their best to protect the fiddlers.

What an insitution and to see people sitting in the churches on a Sunday still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

OB1Kildare wrote: »
    in many cases the church were just moving the problem priests around from one state to another ...creating town after town of victims. They have never in my mind fully apologized for the conduct - from those at the top to the ones preying on the school kids.....and i doubt they ever will .

One of the priests in this report quit after years of allegations and being moved. The church were happy to give him a reference for his next job at Disney world. It's like they don't see child abuse as a problem at all, yeah let's not warn his next employment opportunity which will give him free access to kids yet again. Talk about a lack of conscience , absolute hypocrites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sure the 'good' priests, if they weren't doing the fiddlin themselves were doing their best to protect the fiddlers.

What an insitution and to see people sitting in the churches on a Sunday still...

Exactly.

I’d love to know the exact number of priest that

A - were fiddling

B - Priests that knew lads that they were working with were at it, and said nothing.

C - Priests that actually reported other priests for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

And we're rolling out the red carpet for the Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Never ever trust a priest. Filth

I have about as much love for the Catholic church as I do for Islam, but I have a hell of a lot less grá for bigotry.

People really need to start copping themselves on, or we're all going to suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    One of the priests in this report quit after years of allegations and being moved. The church were happy to give him a reference for his next job at Disney world. It's like they don't see child abuse as a problem at all, yeah let's not warn his next employment opportunity which will give him free access to kids yet again. Talk about a lack of conscience , absolute hypocrites

Where did you read that? That’s horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

This is nothing more than catholicophobia motivated church bashing. Those kids were sluts who wanted to be abused and if people want to celebrate the visit of the leader of this great institution then they should be able to do so without being constantly reminded of these trivial issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

buckwheat wrote: »
    Those kids were sluts who wanted to be abused.

Fecken hell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

buckwheat wrote: »
    This is nothing more than catholicophobia motivated church bashing. Those kids were sluts who wanted to be abused and if people want to celebrate the visit of the leader of this great institution then they should be able to do so without being constantly reminded of these trivial issues.

What a depraved thing to come out with. Banned.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Glad we're in Ireland and not living in that mad country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I can see it at the gathering of people in the Phoenix park, and our rapping pope shouting out 'Dublin! Make some f#cking noise!' to a big roar of applause. The party will kick off until oh no
    'We've got a young streaker!',
    'No, wait, false alarm, its not a streaker; one of the young boys has escaped from the holding pen'

-F Boyle -

Sickening. Absolutely sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I blame God and Jaysus, they were the ones saying catholic priests cannot marry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

erica74 wrote: »
    And we're rolling out the red carpet for the Pope.

Ideally to arrest him.... but unfortunately since the Vatican is it's own country he'd have diplomatic immunity I'd imagine.

Best we can hope for is that he gets struck by lightning in Phoenix park and it's labelled as an act of God.

biko wrote: »
    I blame God and Jaysus, they were the ones saying catholic priests cannot marry

Now change that to "Mohammed" and "Married and impregnate a 9 year old" and use it to tar all Imams with the same brush.

That is just as ludicrous - apparently Catholic bashing is okay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The Vatican's response: "We have no comment at this time"

Shameful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I wonder will the Pope be giving an apology when he visits next week ?
    I wouldn't be holding my breath ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It's an interesting point though, the fact that RCC priests can't marry seemed to have attracted the worst deviants to the priesthood (not saying all priests).

You just don't have the same issues (at least on this scale) with Reverends.

Church of England does seem to be a truly progressive institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Yet people will still defend their sky man organisation to the hilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

myshirt wrote: »
    I can see it at the gathering of people in the Phoenix park, and our rapping pope shouting out 'Dublin! Make some f#cking noise!' to a big roar of applause. The party will kick off until oh no
    'We've got a young streaker!',
    'No, wait, false alarm, its not a streaker; one of the young boys has escaped from the holding pen'

-F Boyle -

Sickening. Absolutely sickening.

Frankie Boyle I presume?

He obviously said this before he drank the leftie kool aid and started pontificating from the safe space of his Guardian column.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That is just as ludicrous - apparently Catholic bashing is okay?

can't we bash all religions equally?

TomSweeney wrote: »

Not at same scale but hey, I wouldn't go patting them on the back just yet.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/22/church-england-excluded-child-abuse-allegations-inquiry-downplayed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Why wouldn't you bash an organisation responsible for the suffering of millions of people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's an interesting point though, the fact that RCC priests can't marry seemed to have attracted the worst deviants to the priesthood (not saying all priests).

You just don't have the same issues (at least on this scale) with Reverends.

They had almost as much child abuse in their institutions.. and teaching against the Bible..

and see

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/AbuseTracker/

every church is guilty all over the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Graces7 wrote: »
    They had almost as much child abuse in their institutions.. and teaching against the Bible..

and see

Indeed the world would be a much better place without gods and religions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

and see

It tends to happen because people value the institution more than what it represents.

Since the catholic church has the same percentage of abusers as the general population I can't see celibacy as being a cause.

I know I'm not catholic anymore but I do think priests should eb able to marry. It's a long lonely life being a priest. And even in the bible there's a reference to it

St Pauls letter to Timothy.
    A bishop must be irreproachable, married only once, of even temper, self-controlled, modest, and hospitable” (3:2) and “Deacons may be married but once and must be good managers of their children and their households” (3:12)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

"We believe"- so making up numbers then for effect ?

It would be much better if the catholic church didn't hide and cover up their criminal paedophile and sex offender staff members. People would know the truth then and not have to guess at how many innocent victims there are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Fecken hell.

I think you have missed the point here. I assume that post was sarcasm as it was the exact response the church used. The official church stance on the issue is the children wanted it and in some cases teased and flirted with the priests until they couldn't resist abusing them.

The actual legal defence used by the church is that the children were sexually promiscuous and consented to the abuse so they don't deserve compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I wonder will the Pope be giving an apology when he visits next week ?
    I wouldn't be holding my breath ...

It's been reposted by several news outlets that he will not speak or answer any questions on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/article216785330.html

'Australia's longest-running royal commission — which is the country's highest form of inquiry — had been investigating since 2012 how institutions responded to sexual abuse of children in Australia over 90 years. The inquiry heard the testimonies of more than 8,000 survivors of child sex abuse. Of those who were abused in religious institution, 62 percent were Catholics.'

Aren't the church refusing to cooperate and hand over information to Australian authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

In other news:
    Water is wet

We've all known this for years. Nothing will ever change though cause people are TICK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I fully believe that the organization should be ran from the county,any and every country it has withheld evidence to cover up these crimes against should do the same, for any organization,not just religious. I mean, withholding evidence,not paying fines ..ffs I'd be in jail for ignoring tv license

Indeed the world would be a much better place without gods and religions.

I'm sure we could find other things to be cvnts to each other over.

I fully believe that the organization should be ran from the county,any and every country it has withheld evidence to cover up these crimes against should do the same, for any organization,not just religious. I mean, withholding evidence,not paying fines ..ffs I'd be in jail for ignoring tv license

But who's gonna run them out of the country?
    Rural Ireland is still full of Holy Joe's, Church is going nowhere.

If it was discovered that McDonalds staff had secretly been abusing kids all over the world and Management and Law enforcement knew about it and did NOTHING or that they secretly buried a load of kids in unmarked graves in Tuam OR that they basically enslaved mothers in Laundries, do you think McDonalds would still be in Business? Course they wouldn't, they'd have to re-brand or something

Now let me ask you this:
    How many of you that have kids, have had their kids baptised, take first holy communion, confirmed, etc?
    How many of you have got married in Catholic church?
    How many of you have explicitly told your next of kin I do not want my funeral to be held in a Catholic church?
    How many of you have questioned your relatives that do go to Mass about whether they should be supporting the Catholic church?
    How many of you that have kids have told the school where you child goes to that you don't want them thought about Christianity?

I think you'd find the numbers are very much in the churches favor.

People in Ireland are thick as bricks.

I'm sure we could find other things to be cvnts to each other over.

To quote Steven Weinburg.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This was in the paper today

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/bishops-commitment-to-child-protection-a-lot-of-lip-service-1.3597658
    The man who created child protection structures for the Catholic Church in Ireland would not do so again because of the resistance he encountered from bishops. “If I was faced with the prospect again and knowing what I know now, would I go down that route again? The answer is no. Very definitely not, ” Ian Elliott told The Irish Times.

Before his appointment as first chief executive of the Catholic Church’s National Board for Safeguarding Children in 2007, Mr Elliott had been director of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in Belfast and was on secondment to the Department of Social Services in Northern Ireland where he led major reforms in child protection services. A Presbyterian from Dublin, he attended St Andrew’s College before going to study at Trinity College.

Up to 2013, when his contract was not renewed by the Irish Catholic Church, he oversaw reviews of child-protection in 16 of the 26 Catholic dioceses on the island and four religious congregations.

Looking back his view of the Irish Catholic Church’s commitment to child protection is that it was “a lot of lip service”. There was “very limited commitment”. His work was resisted by bishops particularly at the beginning when “they were very resistant”, he said.

grahambo wrote: »
    But who's gonna run them out of the country?
    Rural Ireland is still full of Holy Joe's, Church is going nowhere.

If it was discovered that McDonalds staff had secretly been abusing kids all over the world and Management and Law enforcement knew about it and did NOTHING or that they secretly buried a load of kids in unmarked graves in Tuam OR that they basically enslaved mothers in Laundries, do you think McDonalds would still be in Business? Course they wouldn't, they'd have to re-brand or something

Now let me ask you this:
    How many of you that have kids, have had their kids baptised, take first holy communion, confirmed, etc?
    How many of you have got married in Catholic church?
    How many of you have explicitly told your next of kin I do not want my funeral to be held in a Catholic church?
    How many of you have questioned your relatives that do go to Mass about whether they should be supporting the Catholic church?
    How many of you that have kids have told the school where you child goes to that you don't want them thought about Christianity?

I think you'd find the numbers are very much in the churches favor.

People in Ireland are thick as bricks.

None of anyone's damned business and I'll tell anyone who deigns to ask.

To quote Steven Weinburg.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

:eek: and untrue... it is disobeying "religion" that does that.:

Just spent an hour on the Catholic Answers fCatholic News forum .. the excuses, rationalisation etc were predictable and after rattling a few lugs I escaped

Phrases like, "smear campaign" and "witch hunt.! and of course all in the past and all the stuff we have heard here so often!
    And they even accused me of being.. ANGLICAN :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Rescinded. Looks like it was sarcasm.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Rescinded. Looks like it was sarcasm.

The best kind of sarcasm is the kind where you don't even realise it's sarcasm. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Irish state tax payers will be paying out for the leader of the greatest paedo gang too. Well done Ireland! A story came out recently of this happening in a Newry school and the priests in the school knew about this certain priest and his actions and STILL kept his picture on the wall until the news got out to the mainstream.

They don't give a sh*t.

How do you square that belief with the behaviour of the catholic religion in relation to child rape and molestation?

I get that no organisation can be held to account for the actions of individual members but the catholic religion through its officers, priests, Bishops, cardinals and the Pope himself have conspired to commit some of the most horrible crimes against children.

The catholic religion even today are refusing to divulge information about some of its priests ,Bishops etc who pose threats to innocent children today.

I'd suggest that if you are going to see the Pope when he lands in here that you at least have a think about his behaviour in relation to sex crimes against children and his unwillingness to do everything in his power to bring those responsible to justice and protect innocent children from being raped and buggered in the future.

And just for clarity I'm not anti catholic I'm anti religion in general, whether it's followers of the paedophile profit blowing themselves up or the representative of jesus facilitating and hiding paedophile priests etc,etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's not entirely true though either - the reality is that all religions seem to be so vague or even contradictory that someone can find a justification for just about anything.
    Take "mental reservation" - that effectively allowed priests to lie so as to protect the reputation of the church. Which is exactly why children were sworn to secret over their abuse too, thus allowing the abuser to abuse more children in the future.

Do you really think Father Sean Brady was disobeying his religion when he did that? If you do, then you're saying you know better than the Vatican who raised him to Cardinal afterwards - which would itself be heresy on your part. :)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

volchitsa wrote: »
    That's not entirely true though either - the reality is that all religions seem to be so vague or even contradictory that someone can find a justification for just about anything.
    Take "mental reservation" - that effectively allowed priests to lie so as to protect the reputation of the church. Which is exactly why children were sworn to secret over their abuse too, thus allowing the abuser to abuse more children in the future.

Do you really think Father Sean Brady was disobeying his religion when he did that? If you do, then you're saying you know better than the Vatican who raised him to Cardinal afterwards - which would itself be heresy on your part. :)

You have a skewed idea re heresy. And one bad example? Come on!

and earlier quote. You are radically wrong there. Nothing vague and nothing contradictory unless you twist it. Very strong, very simple and very direct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement