Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Report: 'Thousands' of Children Sexually Abused by Hundreds of 'Predator Priests'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't, and the ones who did that did so in gross disobedience to the tenets and directives of the catholic faith; I see where yiou are coming from BUT their appalling behaviour is not religion but a distortion.

Child abuse is not part of the Catholic religion! so what you write has nothing to do with religion.

And again, you apply that sin as the norm for all Catholics?

You need to review your starting premise. Abuse is not any part of the Catholic faith/religion .

http://www.thejournal.ie/bishop-limerick-church-dark-history-4182209-Aug2018/

How do you square that belief with the behaviour of the catholic religion in relation to child rape and molestation?

I get that no organisation can be held to account for the actions of individual members but the catholic religion through its officers, priests, Bishops, cardinals and the Pope himself have conspired to commit some of the most horrible crimes against children.

The catholic religion even today are refusing to divulge information about some of its priests ,Bishops etc who pose threats to innocent children today.

I'd suggest that if you are going to see the Pope when he lands in here that you at least have a think about his behaviour in relation to sex crimes against children and his unwillingness to do everything in his power to bring those responsible to justice and protect innocent children from being raped and buggered in the future.

And just for clarity I'm not anti catholic I'm anti religion in general, whether it's followers of the paedophile profit blowing themselves up or the representative of jesus facilitating and hiding paedophile priests etc,etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

buckwheat wrote: »
    This is nothing more than catholicophobia motivated church bashing. Those kids were sluts who wanted to be abused and if people want to celebrate the visit of the leader of this great institution then they should be able to do so without being constantly reminded of these trivial issues.
    Troll level 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What has Francis done since becoming Pope to deal with sex abuse in the church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

volchitsa wrote: »
    That's not entirely true though either - the reality is that all religions seem to be so vague or even contradictory that someone can find a justification for just about anything.
    Take "mental reservation" - that effectively allowed priests to lie so as to protect the reputation of the church. Which is exactly why children were sworn to secret over their abuse too, thus allowing the abuser to abuse more children in the future.

Do you really think Father Sean Brady was disobeying his religion when he did that? If you do, then you're saying you know better than the Vatican who raised him to Cardinal afterwards - which would itself be heresy on your part. :)

Yes he was. he was forced under his obligation of obedience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Graces7 wrote: »
    I don't, and the ones who did that did so in gross disobedience to the tenets and directives of the catholic faith; I see where yiou are coming from BUT their appalling behaviour is not religion but a distortion.

Child abuse is not part of the Catholic religion! so what you write has nothing to do with religion.

And again, you apply that sin as the norm for all Catholics?

You need to review your starting premise. Abuse is not any part of the Catholic faith/religion .

Thanks for answering and I'm not having a go I'm trying to understand.

Maybe it's not the religion I should be raging against but the church. As I understand it the Vatican holds information on priests that have committed crimes against children all around the world.
    The Pope has it in his power to divulge this information to the relevant authorities but refuses to do so , leaving some of these criminals free to commit more crimes against children and escape justice. This makes him in my eyes, an evil criminal himself. The same goes for any other person who has access to this information and does not pass it on.

How do you view the Pope and his actions in relation to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Abuse is not any part of the Catholic faith/religion .

http://www.thejournal.ie/bishop-limerick-church-dark-history-4182209-Aug2018/
    Bishop of Limerick says Catholic Church must acknowledge 'dark' aspects of its history

It Would be nice to see the Catholic Church acknowledging the 'dark' aspects of its present.

The Vatican refuses to release files of Australian priests accused of abusing children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The full report is out there for anyone to read. Abusers and enablers are named and shamed and the victims provide full accounts of what happened to them. Additionally, correspondance that clearly details cover-ups and attempts to protect the church from "scandal" is published. It's harrowing reading, not for the faint-hearted. Descriptions of horrible abuse and despicable blackmail and victim-blaming from bishops. One victim attempted suicide and another later died from complications relating to an addiction to painkillers, which he had been taking since suffering a back injury after a particularly violent assault from a priest. It's horrific stuff.

Would really make you question why on earth we're having the head of this organisation in our country where similar abuse has taken place and for which his organisation has still not properly apologised. People have been deeply, deeply hurt by the church. I still can't believe we're rolling out the red carpet, and furthermore, that people are actually going to go and see him.

It's also interesting to read from the report that there is no reason to believe that this problem has gone away or is a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 usename18

Don't be facetious
    "We believe"- so making up numbers then for effect ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Hundreds of posts on threads about Muslim grooming gangs and Muslim immigrants

Nowhere to be seen except to complain about catholic bashing on a thread about abuse carried out and covered up by Catholic priests and bishops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Hundreds of posts on threads about Muslim grooming gangs and Muslim immigrants

Nowhere to be seen except to complain about catholic bashing on a thread about abuse carried out and covered up by Catholic priests and bishops

Yup. The hypocrisy is outstanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Do they shoot lasers and have a telltale shimmer?
    If it bleeds we can kill it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You have a skewed idea re heresy. And one bad example? Come on!

One bad example? Really? You're aware, as I am, that there wasn't just one case of abuse where the church's priority was to cover up instead of taking effective action to stop the abuser? That was the norm. I only mentioned the most well known one in Ireland - but can you name a single case where the hierarchy prioritised the children and went to the police? Anywhere in the world?
    and earlier quote. You are radically wrong there. Nothing vague and nothing contradictory unless you twist it. Very strong, very simple and very direct.

As for the comment about religions being ambiguous, no, I stick by that. It's exactly why slavery was accepted and justified by Christians before being condemned by them equally firmly.

And while I know there is nothing about allowing child abuse, it's still a fact that stopping child abuse was not something that anyone in the church found important compared to upholding the church's reputation.

Because in Catholicism there is little room for personal interpretations : when someone goes against the church's official strategy, then either they are wrong or the church is wrong. If the church is wrong, then there's no reason to defend it.

The fact that the church seems to be lying about what its policy really is doesn't actually plead in their favour, IMO.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is nothing more than catholicophobia motivated church bashing. Those kids were sluts who wanted to be abused and if people want to celebrate the visit of the leader of this great institution then they should be able to do so without being constantly reminded of these trivial issues.
    What a depraved thing to come out with. Banned.
    Rescinded. Looks like it was sarcasm.

Ah jaysus seriously slow on uptake there.

But I guess the real scary thing is some within the church actually did use that argument about gay children leading them astray.

I think that scumbag fortune was one to use it.

If anyone watched the movie shown recently on TV about Spotlight investigation in Boston, one of the things that stood out was the huge amount of cities and towns in USA where abuse happened.
    And the fookers just listed them as sick for a while before then dumping them on another unsuspecting community.

The were a number of Irish names amongst the abusers.

6 places were mentioned in Ireland along with places in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Belgium, etc.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah jaysus seriously slow on uptake there.

But I guess the real scary thing is some within the church actually did use that argument about gay children leading them astray.

I think that scumbag fortune was one to use it.

If anyone watched the movie shown recently on TV about Spotlight investigation in Boston, one of the things that stood out was the huge amount of cities and towns in USA where abuse happened.
    And the fookers just listed them as sick for a while before then dumping them on another unsuspecting community.

The were a number of Irish names amongst the abusers.

6 places were mentioned in Ireland along with places in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Belgium, etc.

This is actually what i was referring to

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/catholic-church-sex-abuse-paedophile-criminal-injuries-compensation-scheme-victim-support-sexual-a7903396.html

My mind genuinely boggles at people who can just ignore this. The mental gymnastics they must go through to justify their position.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is actually what i was referring to

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/catholic-church-sex-abuse-paedophile-criminal-injuries-compensation-scheme-victim-support-sexual-a7903396.html

My mind genuinely boggles at people who can just ignore this. The mental gymnastics they must go through to justify their position.

Not even to avoid criminal charges but just to avoid paying compensation to victims.. that's just.. hm I'm not even sure where that ranks anymore on the list of awful **** the Church has done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"We believe"- so making up numbers then for effect ?

Thank you for letting all of us know just how much you really, actually care about the victims in the threads you spend your days infesting.

The Pope meanwhile, has condemned the cover up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45249109
    Pope Francis has condemned the "atrocities" of child sex abuse and clerical cover-ups in a letter to the world's 1.2bn Roman Catholics.

The letter to "the People of God" calls for an end to the "culture of death" in the Church, addresses failures to deal with abuse and asks for forgiveness.

Last week a grand jury report detailed seven decades of abuse in Pennsylvania.

The landmark investigation found more than 1,000 identifiable minors had been abused by 300 priests in the US state.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Why is there no one being arrested and put on trial in Ireland for covering up sexual abuse ?

It's not as if those in political power in Ireland are pro Catholic Church anymore, quite the opposite in fact.

Concealing a crime is a criminal offence to the best of my knowledge.

Why, if there was so much abuse covered up and evidence is available (or can be obtained with warrants if needs be) to show they covered it up, are these people not being arrested, charged, and put on trial ? If found guilty they can be sentenced, if found innocent they can be cleared.

Ireland is capable of holding fair trials and serving justice, so why are the authorities not doing so ?

The crimes are genuinely suspected, so why are the police not taking in bishops and questing them ? and if found guilty in a court of law, they can and should be imprisoned like anyone else.

Now that the government and authorities are no longer pro Catholic Church, I don't understand why they are not taking at lease some of these people to trial ?

What's going on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why is there no one being arrested and put on trial in Ireland for covering up sexual abuse ?

The crimes are genuinely suspected, so why are the police not taking in bishops and questing them ? and if found guilty in a court of law, they can and should be imprisoned like anyone else.

Now that the government and authorities are no longer pro Catholic Church, I don't understand why they are not taking at lease some of these people to trial ?

What's going on ?

You've be forgiven for thinking that either far more than just the church are involved. Or that things aren't nearly as clear cut as some ranters would have have you believe.

Another difficult set of questions: of the overall child abuse carried out in Ireland - how much of it was (or is) done by a priest / brother / nun vs a family member? Who places children in more danger today, ministers of religion (any religion) or step-fathers? I have no statistics - but I have hunches and anecdotes from people who have worked in the protection industries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It's not as if those in political power in Ireland are pro Catholic Church anymore, quite the opposite in fact.

Concealing a crime is a criminal offence to the best of my knowledge.

Why, if there was so much abuse covered up and evidence is available (or can be obtained with warrants if needs be) to show they covered it up, are these people not being arrested, charged, and put on trial ? If found guilty they can be sentenced, if found innocent they can be cleared.

Ireland is capable of holding fair trials and serving justice, so why are the authorities not doing so ?

What's going on ?

Are you implying that perhaps there was no sexual abuse of children by priests?
    Or not enough to matter?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

volchitsa wrote: »
    Are you implying that perhaps there was no sexual abuse of children by priests?
    Or not enough to matter?

Neither, in fact the absolute contrary. There was a large amount of both abhorrent abuse of children and to my mind, an even worse, systematic covering up an attempt by the abuser's managers (i.e. certain bishops) to conceal criminal actives and prevent convictions.

There has been some convictions for abuse, but not a single one for attempting to covering up / conceal criminal activity ? Even with all the recent evidence that has come to light in the media, still noting.

Is attempting to concealing a crime not a criminal offence ? Why not single arrest for it in Ireland ? why no warrants to search Bishops offices, why no trial never mind a conviction / sentence ?

Why is no one in the media / political parties demanding same either, what's going on ?

It's not as if those in political power / media are in pro Catholic Church anymore.

Should these people not at least be arrested / questioned / put on trial at the very least ?

Do you not want to see arrests, questioning, trials and at least some successful convictions for the cover ups ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I let my child make 1st communion a few years ago and I'm ashamed I did. To appease family. Shame on me; how do I properly leave this horrible cult

tupenny wrote: »
    I let my child make 1st communion a few years ago and I'm ashamed I did. To appease family. Shame on me; how do I properly leave this horrible cult

No formal procedure is required, you just leave, don't let anyone tell you that you can't, they are bullshyting if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

tupenny wrote: »
    Turn your back on them and never darken their door again and don't tick the catholic box on the next census form.

Advertisement