Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accounting exams

• 15-08-2018 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey,
    I’m entering my final year of college, so applying for graduate contracts soon.
    I’m on placement in a small accounting firm for a few months so I can do bits and pieces.

I am sh1t scared of the cap2s and faes. To the point where I think I might not even try. I am very very average, I never did accounting in leaving cert, and my grades are average and I have very little self confidence in what I do.

Is it doable? If I sacrifice a lot?

Also can someone tell me what kind of work I would be doing in a big firm starting off, compared to a small one? Will it be the same thing all the time??

I just don’t think I’m good or smart enough whatsoever, and need some help from people with experience.. thanks in advance! I know there’s a lot of qs in this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Hey,
    I’m entering my final year of college, so applying for graduate contracts soon.
    I’m on placement in a small accounting firm for a few months so I can do bits and pieces.

I am sh1t scared of the cap2s and faes. To the point where I think I might not even try. I am very very average, I never did accounting in leaving cert, and my grades are average and I have very little self confidence in what I do.

Is it doable? If I sacrifice a lot?

Also can someone tell me what kind of work I would be doing in a big firm starting off, compared to a small one? Will it be the same thing all the time??

I just don’t think I’m good or smart enough whatsoever, and need some help from people with experience.. thanks in advance! I know there’s a lot of qs in this

Yes it’s doable if you put your mind to it. However your employer or you may also prefer ACCA. You’d need to define a big firm but if you mean top 10, you need to pick a department. This will likely be audit so the role will be all audit work but you’ll progress through the role and type of work over the duration of the contract. In a nutshell, yes it could get repetitive but it’s an excellent base for your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pixie11123

Of course it's doable, even without an accounting degree or experience. Have some confidence in your ability and work hard and you can do it easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

I second the above poster. ACCA is handy. I d definitely have a good think about which professional institute you want to register with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I didn't do accountancy for the leaving or in college and some how have managed to (hopefully) get through ACA. I didn't have a clue about the different accountancy boards before starting. I might have gone with ACCA. Not that the actual work/ exams are easier but they seem to be more manageable. But yes if you put your mind to it you can get through the exams. Have more confidence in yourself :)

Advertisement