Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming in the usa

Options
  • 16-08-2018 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

I was on to your customer support and they told me that data roaming in the USA is >10€ per mb. Surely that can’t be true?

At that rate it’s cheaper to buy a Vodafone sim and use that while away. I would get 200mb for 2.99 a day

If I was on bill pay with Vodafone for 2.99 a day I can use my home data allowance and my included minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

If you have an unlocked handset, then pop into a T-Mobile shop in the US and pick up their Tourist SIM. Only $30 and gives you (nearly) unlimited data. I had one recently, but the only limitation was I couldn't ring my wife's Irish mobile while we were both in the US, I could text her though.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/marketing-module/prepaid_international_tourist_plan.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

heroics wrote: »
    I was on to your customer support and they told me that data roaming in the USA is >10€ per mb. Surely that can’t be true?

At that rate it’s cheaper to buy a Vodafone sim and use that while away. I would get 200mb for 2.99 a day

If I was on bill pay with Vodafone for 2.99 a day I can use my home data allowance and my included minutes.
    Hi heroics ,

Please see all information regarding roaming in the USA on the following link - https://www.eir.ie/roaming/#/.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

heroics wrote: »

Vodafone is a rather large group and thus in a better position to negotiate a better wholesale rate per MB with the American operators, EIR isn't so they would be charged a higher wholesale rate, Three are in a simular position also.

Eir do have WIFI calling though if you have a capatible handset, when you are connected to WIFI calling you can use your inclusive minutes/texts without paying a daily rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Vodafone is a rather large group and thus in a better position to negotiate a better wholesale rate per MB with the American operators, EIR isn't so they would be charged a higher wholesale rate, Three are in a simular position also.

Eir do have WIFI calling though if you have a capatible handset, when you are connected to WIFI calling you can use your inclusive minutes/texts without paying a daily rate.

I understand that but the rates still seem excessive. From the eir link above it’s 10.24 per mb so over a 1000€ for 100mb where as Vodafone can give me my full allowance for 2.99.

Vodafone also include my normal calls and texts for free. Where eir charge a fortune for them bother making and receiving calls (1.72/1.62 per min)

Also while WiFi calling is grand I’d rather be able to use my phone as a mobile and not be tied to always having a WiFi connection

Anyway question is answered.I’ll just get a Vodafone sim when I’m heading over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Hi heroics ,

Please see all information regarding roaming in the USA on the following link - https://www.eir.ie/roaming/#/.

Thanks

Thomas

So it is true. €10.24 per MB for data in the US.

I’ll just bring a Vodafone sim with me so. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement