Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Luas Line - Places to live

Options
  • 16-08-2018 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

What areas close to the green Luas Line would you recommend for:

Young family (safe, decent schools, good neighbours, decent crèche facilities)

With a bit of life (decent pub or two, shops, cafes)

High percentage of owner occupiers with a high proportion of family homes versus apartments.

Not a traffic blackspot during peak times (or as good as can be expected)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Narnia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think that will very much depend on your budget! Difficult to answer like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I live in Dundrum. Ticks all those boxes. Expensive though, I couldn't afford to buy my current house in today's market.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sounds to me like you're looking at dropping 650k + for a dundrum house.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think that will very much depend on your budget! Difficult to answer like that.

I wanted to leave the question open regarding the budget to get a better idea on locations after which I can have a look at individual locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

KBD85 wrote: »
    I wanted to leave the question open regarding the budget to get a better idea on locations after which I can have a look at individual locations.

Parts of Milltown and Leopardstown would meet the criteria but it is a bit of a void question without budget.

Taking the Luas green line as a base is not the same as taking a longer distance rail line example whereby the further out you go the more you get for less.

It can be the opposite on the Luas and there is a huge premium for being near it or the Dart - up to €114k according to a report from earlier in the year (might be some journalistic licence there though!)

Anyone looking to buy now near the Green Line, Dart or Red Line for that matter would need seriously deep pockets.

If you have a max budget you will be able to get realistic ideas but without that there are options at pretty much every stop after Ranelagh outbound that will meet your criteria in one form or another.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anywhere between Ranelagh and Dundrum.

Once you get past Dundrum, there are less things to do in the immediate area, but seeing as you're close to the Luas there is decent social activities within 10/15 minutes ride.

If you're buying somewhere within walking distance of the green Luas you should expect to pay a hefty premium. It is probably the most desirable transport route in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Mate of mine lives in windy arbour area, nice area and easy access to Dundrum and the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Dundrum is nice but traffic is a nightmare from end of October onwards. We used to live at the top of ballaly hill and the car was a no go from about 11 on the weekends. I'd still move back in a heartbeat though if I could afford it. The ease of access to town was unreal. Currently commuting an hour at least each way to get to work. *states wistfully in the general direction of dundrum *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

High percentage of owner occupiers with a high proportion of family homes versus apartments.

Green line is a lot longer nowdays since it went to Broombridge.
    If you're not dead set on an an even number post code it could fit the bill. Ballymore & Carin developments in Ashtown are very high quality & even with the price increase of subsequent phases, still relatively good value.

Regarding your specific questions:

-Family Oriented:
    Has a giraffe creche 5 mins away & another montesori in the development. New school coming online in the next year. Schools not too far away on the Navan road & Cabra.
    Is as safe as anywhere in Dublin city. Very active community, regular meetings to keep the canal area clean, safety and security meetings & interaction with garda to keep on top of any issues.

Bit of Life:
    Ashtown has some nice restaurrants and cafe's. Pub right on the canal at Ashtown Train station, halfway house 5 mins walk away from Ashtown, hole in the wall another 10 mins from this. Some very nice pubs but without people falling about the place at 3am.

%Of Owner Occupiers:
    Ballymore have sold a few hundred houses there, all owner occupied, with many more in the pipe. Cairn will be similar. All families, invested in the area.
    From teh various groups I know a lot of apartments are owner occupied and even ones that are not have people who are invested in the area and make a real effort to attend community events.

Not a traffic blackspot during peak times
    Ive lived in Dundrum/Sandyford and Ashtown is certainly better than Dundrum in relation to traffic. Navan road on one side, rathoath on the other, both move quicker than the roads around Dundrum at 5pm on a weekday. It all depends on where youre going of course.

Thats if you need to use a car. Ashtown has the Luas which is 10 mins away at Broombridge & takes 20 mins to city center. Has the train at Ashtown or Broombridge with a new station comming online in 2 years within Royal Canal Park. Has the 120 bus at present which has me in the city center in 25 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    If you're not dead set on an an even number post code it could fit the bill. Ballymore & Carin developments in Ashtown are very high quality & even with the price increase of subsequent phases, still relatively good value.

-Family Oriented:
    Has a giraffe creche 5 mins away & another montesori in the development. New school coming online in the next year. Schools not too far away on the Navan road & Cabra.
    Is as safe as anywhere in Dublin city. Very active community, regular meetings to keep the canal area clean, safety and security meetings & interaction with garda to keep on top of any issues.

Bit of Life:
    Ashtown has some nice restaurrants and cafe's. Pub right on the canal at Ashtown Train station, halfway house 5 mins walk away from Ashtown, hole in the wall another 10 mins from this. Some very nice pubs but without people falling about the place at 3am.

%Of Owner Occupiers:
    Ballymore have sold a few hundred houses there, all owner occupied, with many more in the pipe. Cairn will be similar. All families, invested in the area.
    From teh various groups I know a lot of apartments are owner occupied and even ones that are not have people who are invested in the area and make a real effort to attend community events.

Ive lived in Dundrum/Sandyford and Ashtown is certainly better than Dundrum in relation to traffic. Navan road on one side, rathoath on the other, both move quicker than the roads around Dundrum at 5pm on a weekday. It all depends on where youre going of course.

Thats if you need to use a car. Ashtown has the Luas which is 10 mins away at Broombridge & takes 20 mins to city center. Has the train at Ashtown or Broombridge with a new station comming online in 2 years within Royal Canal Park. Has the 120 bus at present which has me in the city center in 25 mins.

http://www.thejournal.ie/john-gilligan-shooting-1209975-Dec2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

-Family Oriented:

Bit of Life:

%Of Owner Occupiers:

http://www.thejournal.ie/john-gilligan-shooting-1209975-Dec2013/

2013 article. 5 years in case you can't do the math. Go back far enough for any location in dublin and there's some Terrible crime.

E.g. Terenure is one of the nicest places In Dub but had very violent mugging just last year, 15k stolen at a cash point.
    Doesn't make Terenure a bad area.
    This is fearmongering. Hqve a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

awec wrote: »
    Anywhere between Ranelagh and Dundrum.

Same here. Ranelagh/Beechwood being my favourites.

But of course those are also some of the most expensive places to buy a property along the green line (and more generally in Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Bob24 wrote: »

But of course those are also some of the most expensive places to buy a property along the green line (and more generally in Dublin).

I am looking at the moment and no decent houses in Ranelagh with a car space for under a million (a few exceptions but those houses typically need 200k of work put into them, bringing them well over the million). Much more options in Ranelagh if you don't need parking. I just mention it as the original question asked about traffic, do possibly the person has a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Bob24 wrote: »

But Martin Cahill was shot in broad daylight in Ranelagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

All those things make somewhere super expensive not just expensive, Churchtown would be my pick far enough away from Dundrum but not too far from anything, good solid 1950s houses with large gardens. Family houses seem to around the 640k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

mariaalice wrote: »
    All those things make somewhere super expensive not just expensive, Churchtown would be my pick far enough away from Dundrum but not too far from anything, good solid 1950s houses with large gardens. Family houses seem to around the 640k mark.

Yeah that’s where I’d go if i could

Advertisement