Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creche Query - Looking to See Where I Stand

• 16-08-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just looking to see what your opinions would be on the below.

We put our little girl into creche and paid €700 deposit and €700 for one months care. We and the creche knew straight away that it wasn't going to work and our little girl who was 13 months wasn't going to settle. She was a low muscle tone baby which means they can be more anxious, nervous than usual. She went on the first day for a few hours and was distraught thoughout. We left it a few days and tried again, leaving her there for about an hour and observing her from afar, again it didn't work out.
    We agreed with the creche that we'd try again in a few months time and that they could hold onto the deposit as we'd eventually need to get her into creche at some point.

Fast forward two months or so later and we asked about getting the month upfront back as we didn't think it was 'fair' for them to hold onto this when she had been in for 1 day in total. I know they might very well be perfectly entitled to do so but it doesn't seem conducive to convincing us to come back to them in the near future for our long term creche needs. We spoke with the creche itself and head office and no-one has come back to us.

In summary, do you think they should refund us the month, month + deposit or nothing?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If it is a high demand area and they got a replacement then it is just profiteering. If they held the place for you then they are being reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If it is a high demand area and they got a replacement then it is just profiteering. If they held the place for you then they are being reasonable.

There was no place being held as it's a Dublin based creche in a busy area. Do you think I should look for the month back or month and deposit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would be trying to get as much back as possible. There would be a reasonable amount of cost incurred by the creche so don't expect everything back. €700 seems very cheap for Dublin.... We are paying alot more than that :(

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would be trying to get as much back as possible. There would be a reasonable amount of cost incurred by the creche so don't expect everything back. €700 seems very cheap for Dublin.... We are paying alot more than that :(

We were only going to have her in 3 days a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If they are holding your place (check with them), then they are probably ok to keep at least some of it.If they are not, then yeah, I'd want the month back and at least a chunk of the deposit too, if not all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Did the creche not do a settling in phase? Where you stay with them for 1/2 hour say day 1, etc. and build it up. I was given 10 free hours settling in to help them ease into it.
    I'd be asking for it all back if you didn't get the settling in hours.

pc7 wrote: »
    Did the creche not do a settling in phase? Where you stay with them for 1/2 hour say day 1, etc. and build it up. I was given 10 free hours settling in to help them ease into it.
    I'd be asking for it all back if you didn't get the settling in hours.

I need to double check the contract but my partner stayed with our little lady for a few hours on the first day and then I stayed with her for about two hours on the second day.

They absolutely aren't holding the place as my partner has been onto them to look for our money back.... she's just been getting the runaround.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

In that case I certainly do not think you are being unrealistic or unreasonable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If they are not holding a place, contact your local County/City Childcare Committee to intervene but also make sure you check your contract

An update on this. Was called today and told that the deposit would be refunded but not the months fee as no notice was given. The manager of the creche in question has been lovely and reasonable to deal with and agreed that it was an unusual case in that the experience was traumatic for our daughter and she was best not staying there.
    I've highlighted that when the time comes we will need a creche for her and had selected this one as it's close to my partners workplace and on my way to work. I highlighted that they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face. I'm happy for them to dock a week of the month upfront for admin purposes. She'll relay it to head office and we'll see what the outcome is.

• Advertisement

Good news in the end. Got a call earlier in the week stating that everything would be refunded in the next 10 days or so. Couldn't have asked for a better outcome than that.

Good to hear :)

Advertisement