Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvaging kegged ale

Options
  • 16-08-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I've a batch of ale transferred to my King keg. However there is a small air leak I can't identify and as as result I can't draw any beer from it (it's a middle placed tap). Could I open the keg and transfer to bottles in the hope of another session of priming? I had already primed in the keg so if I add more sugar to the bottles will it have any effect or will I just have flat beer in those as well?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You'll be fine to bottle it. How much re-priming to do depends on how long since you primed it, how carbonated it currently is and how carbonated you want it. If re-priming I would be cautious as you don't want bottles gushing or exploding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

BeerNut wrote: »
    You'll be fine to bottle it. How much re-priming to do depends on how long since you primed it, how carbonated it currently is and how carbonated you want it. If re-priming I would be cautious as you don't want bottles gushing or exploding.

Thanks for the advice. I batch primed it initially with 85g of sugar so it's far from over carbonated given the leak. I think I'll bottle and prime with just under half a teaspoon per bottle. I do have co2 injectors but unless I can arrange a party for everyone to drink the keg in one night then bottling it is the way :)

EDIT: The initial priming was about 2 1/2 weeks ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't sit on the bottles too long as you'll be introducing extra oxygen with the transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

BeerNut wrote: »
    Don't sit on the bottles too long as you'll be introducing extra oxygen with the transfer.

I'll get through em fairly quickly. If they take properly I'll hand a few out to friends.

Advertisement