Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aretha Franklin RIP

• 16-08-2018 3:17pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Aretha Franklin has died.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/aretha-franklin-dead-cancer-respect-singer-cause-death-dies-latest-a8494636.html
    Aretha Franklin has died aged 76.

The legendary singer was first reported to be “gravely ill” in a Detroit hospice by news anchor and close friend Evrod Cassimy.
    Franklin, who was set to retire from live music in February 2019, last performed live last November at Elton John's annual AIDS Foundation gala. She confirmed her retirement to Cassimy while simultaneously announcing plans to work on a new record with Stevie Wonder.

She cancelled her tour dates in March after her doctor told her to “rest completely” for at least two months. One of the shows would have marked the “Respect” singer's 76th birthday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭recyclops

time for people to pay their R E S P E C T sssssss

RIP

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's a sad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

What a voice, rest in peace Aretha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

recyclops wrote: »

RIP

Just a little bit

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

She was in one of the greatest scenes in one of the greatest movies ever

What a performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

George Michael is waiting for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I said a little prayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

I knew you were waiting with George Michael what a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

recyclops wrote: »

RIP

R E S… T I N P E A C E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

m17 wrote: »
    I knew you were waiting with George Michael what a classic

Yeah it was inevitable

All the greats are leaving us. Truly sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll say a little prayer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For some reason I would have thought of her as being a good bit older than 76.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Great Voice

Elvis died on this date too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I must say, this outpouring of grief on sky news is absolute cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

She was one of the last real icons of that era. Probably the greatest voice America has ever produced, but people don't seem to realise what an all-round terrific talent she was. She was also a gifted pianist and songwriter, and her arrangements were top class. She was genuinely brilliant musician, in the truest sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ok. is it just my age or is it a sad indictment of modern music that we used to have people like Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, Freddie Mercury, Bowie, Hall & Oates, Ray Charles, Hendrix and now we have Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Demi Lovato, Bieber, Minaj....I mean, can anyone honestly argue that these people are in the same league? Did the former group use up the finite amount of mojo in the universe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

An all-star tribute concert to Franklin, celebrating her music, is scheduled for November 14, 2018 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For some reason I would have thought of her as being a good bit older than 76.

I was surprised by that as well. i had her down as a 60's artist but she must have been more 70s.

• Advertisement

ok. is it just my age or is it a sad indictment of modern music that we used to have people like Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, Freddie Mercury, Bowie, Hall & Oates, Ray Charles, Hendrix and now we have Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Demi Lovato, Bieber, Minaj....I mean, can anyone honestly argue that these people are in the same league? Did the former group use up the finite amount of mojo in the universe?

You could multiply the artists mentioned in the first part of your post by a factor of 50 or more and all of them would be head and shoulders over the current generation of "musicians". Sad to see that the industry has sunk so low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'll say a little prayer
    That's disrespectful, the woman just died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

[=suicide_circus;107805854]ok. is it just my age or is it a sad indictment of modern music that we used to have people like Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, Freddie Mercury, Bowie, Hall & Oates, Ray Charles, Hendrix and now we have Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Demi Lovato, Bieber, Minaj....I mean, can anyone honestly argue that these people are in the same league? Did the former group use up the finite amount of mojo in the universe?[/quote][/quote]
    An all-star tribute concert to Franklin, celebrating her music, is scheduled for November 14, 2018 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Can you imagine some of the acts that will be booked to perform? Spoofers like Beyoncé, Drake, Taylor Swift, Rihanna etc. Gobsh1tes whose names shouldn’t be uttered in the same breath as Franklin’s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

You could multiply the artists mentioned in the first part of your post by a factor of 50 or more and all of them would be head and shoulders over the current generation of "musicians". Sad to see that the industry has sunk so low.

Seconded. It's unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Can you imagine some of the acts that will be booked to perform? Spoofers like Beyoncé, Drake, Taylor Swift, Rihanna etc. Gobsh1tes whose names shouldn’t be uttered in the same breath as Franklin’s.

None of them will ever be Wilburys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Oh my. The BBC montage just has me in tears here. What a voice, what a legend. Too soon. RIP Aretha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Something somewhere went horribly horribly wrong and I'm not even sure what. The geniuses just aren't coming through.
    Who will buy anything by a current artist in 40 years time?

Aretha was dynamite. The consolation is the records are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

thebull85 wrote: »
    I must say, this outpouring of grief on sky news is absolute cringe.

Why?

Please do tell us what you did with your life that's better.

We're all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Amazing voice, if it wasn't for her chronic fear of flying she could of sold
    out every venue in Europe :( full RIP Aretha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Another music legend like Aretha Franklin is gone before us. How very sad. :(

The music industry has lost another name that will not compare to any of the stars that we have today. RIP Aretha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Incredible singer, incredible story.

Had first kid at 13, 2nd at 14! Father involved with Martin Luther King.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/aug/16/aretha-franklin-queen-of-soul-dies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

All the dormant fans will come out of the woodwork now, heartbroken.
    Great voice. R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I'm glad to say, no disrespect to Aretha RIP :(, but Mavis Staples is still around and she's playing the Picnic, I canna fecking wait. I know Aretha will be partying with Etta James and Nina Simone up there, god bless them.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

R E S T E C P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Poppycock, we still have Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato... Yeah they're not replacing the Aretha Franklin's et al are they?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

never a fan of american soul music tbh,

but i acknowledge the fact she was important figure in american R&B with an amazing voice

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Jimmy Hendrix, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury........ Hall & Oates? Wuuut...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pelvis wrote: »
    Jimmy Hendrix, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury........ Hall & Oates? Wuuut...

Yeah didn't they just do a gig in Dublin a few month ago with notorious bad sound problems, there was definitely folk venting about the gig in the Gigs and Events forum.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Absolutely totally unforgettable. May she Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

In another nice little link with Elvis, go to 2:15 to see (and hear) Aretha do her bit of Jailhouse Rock in the greatest movie of all time:

Actually, watch from 2:00 and see how many greats from that movie are now gone. :(
    I see Matt 'Guitar' Murphy died only 2 months ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭Cody montana

murpho999 wrote: »
    George Michael is waiting for her.

Is she being buried in a men's urinal?

Is she being buried in a men's urinal?

Grow up.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Always seemed like she was a lot older than 76.I remember her being put up on the big screen at the US Open tennis a few years ago and was shocked to discover she was still alive.

RIP, she had an incredible voice.

Such a shame. Goodbye to an absolute legend.

It’s funny, I always associated Aretha Franklin with Motown, but despite growing up in Detroit, she never signed for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    That's disrespectful, the woman just died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was watching some of her live performances on Youtube just to remind me of the wonderful talent of Aretha Franklin. She is a great loss to the music world (not just soul music). She has been much imitated by others but no-one could emulate her style.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The funeral took the piss. Like a gangster's send off, gold plated casket, rows of limos, vintage hearse. A week long.

It wasn't becoming of her. It was vulgar to take the piss like this. Not dignified.

Christian my arse, the price of that coffin would feed a village in Eritrea for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

She was great at what she did. but I just am not a fan of that. I know millions were, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I thought Aria Grande's performance brought the difference between true legends that were famous for raw talent and today's stars that are famous for, I have no idea what, into sharp focus. Every single one of the background singers could sing her into next week.
    Like Kanye West singing Bohemian Rhapsody. Grumpy old git alert, but what the hell? These kids of today wouldn't know real music if it bit them on the ass. (Shakes fist)
    Oh god, I'm my dad. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement