Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charging batteries on night rate AC inverter

• 16-08-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

I seen this product which will charge batteries on night rate electricity

It is a AC coupler does anybody do this it seems a good idea could run your house on night rate electricity at peak times.

https://www.solaxpower.com/en/ac-coupled/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,666 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can. But it's more expensive per kWh used then the difference between day rate and night rate. So it will actually cost you money rather than save you money :D

You will get the €1,000 subsidy for installing a battery though, so I guess it depends on the price of the system and your intentions. What's the price of that one and what's its capacity in kWh?

The Tesla Powerwall is another AC coupled battery that can (since a recent OTA update) do that and it has quite a decent capacity of 13kWh but it's about €8k installed (iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭zoom_cool

It's not a battery but a intelligent battery charger it is around €1500 and then you add your battery packs so you could charge them on night rate and run your electric off the batteries which you charged at night rate kWh unit price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In no world does it make financial sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I talked to an installer. AS part of the description they said the battery would work during the summer and fill up using solar PV. In the winter because you wouldn't have enough sun you could set it to charge at night rate. So during the day it would pull from the battery first and then pull off the grid. So saving you money because you could pull the first 5kWh off the battery

Is this not the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I talked to an installer. AS part of the description they said the battery would work during the summer and fill up using solar PV. In the winter because you wouldn't have enough sun you could set it to charge at night rate. So during the day it would pull from the battery first and then pull off the grid. So saving you money because you could pull the first 5kWh off the battery

Is this not the same thing?
    So say there’s 8 cent difference between day and night and you charge 5KWH a day
    That’s 40c a day=146 Euro a year =10.4 years to recoup your 1500 and that’s without the cost of financing it or the batteries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,666 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ted1 wrote: »
    So say there’s 8 cent difference between day and night and you charge 5KWH a day
    That’s 40c a day=146 Euro a year =10.4 years to recoup your 1500 and that’s without the cost of financing it or the batteries

Cost per kWh cycled for the battery is the main cost. Currently higher than full day rate electricity :D

Small battery (2.4kWh li-ion is EUR975 plus install costs plus VAT) installed now with the €1000 subsidy might make a difference. I'm not sure of the cost of a system like that installed so I can't make any useful calculations

Advertisement