Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PM encryption

Options
  • 16-08-2018 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Probably asked before but I was just wondering what level of encryption/security there is on private messages

I often see the staff on the talk to forums suggesting that users send account information as well as details such as mothers maiden name etc by PM

Is this secure?

Thanks in advance
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This was covered a couple of years ago

I presume the situation explained then remains valid - no encryption on the legacy site, but PMs on the responsive site are encrypted. I'm sure someone from the Office will be along in the morning to correct me if necessary

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

All PMs are sent over https now on both the legacy and responsive versions of the site. In fact the whole legacy site is now on https.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Beasty wrote: »
    This was covered a couple of years ago

I presume the situation explained then remains valid - no encryption on the legacy site, but PMs on the responsive site are encrypted. I'm sure someone from the Office will be along in the morning to correct me if necessary

Just to clarify;

are you saying that all PMs are encrypted in transit as they are sent via HTTPS, but they are not encrypted at rest as they are stored in plain-text in the database?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

ezra_ wrote: »
    Just to clarify;

are you saying that all PMs are encrypted in transit as they are sent via HTTPS, but they are not encrypted at rest as they are stored in plain-text in the database?

I had to check this. To clarify, yes PMs are encrypted on transit, stored in plain-text in the database.

Advertisement