Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running not Crohns-ing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've just found your log this morning. Fair play for your openess, and to come back from where you were to be even running regularly again is a hell of an achievement.
    I'm glad you enjoyed DCM, you put in a very dedicated block of training and deserved a good result on the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I've just found your log this morning. Fair play for your openess, and to come back from where you were to be even running regularly again is a hell of an achievement.
    I'm glad you enjoyed DCM, you put in a very dedicated block of training and deserved a good result on the day.

Thanks A, 4 days later and I'm still buzzing! Was nice meeting you on Sun morning and I'll be keeping an eye out for your log ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great report there D, so glad it all went so well for you. Very glad to have shared some of the experience with you on the day (and I meant every word, a serious achievement in my eyes).
    I am looking forward to seeing your next challenge (and when you do DCM again, you definitely will!)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

aloooof wrote: »
    Thanks A, 4 days later and I'm still buzzing! Was nice meeting you on Sun morning and I'll be keeping an eye out for your log ;)

I'm still on a high too. Don't think I'll be coming down for some time yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

DCM Boards plan - Week 18

Day | Plan | Actual
    Mon| Rest | Rest
    Tue| 2m Easy | 2m Easy
    Wed| 1m, 3m PMP, 1m| 1m, 3m PMP, 1m
    Thu| 3m Easy | Rest
    Fri| Rest | Rest
    Sat| 2m Easy | 2m Easy
    Sun| DCM! | DCM!
    Total | 38.2m | 35.2m

Race report here.

Can't really add much to that, absolutely amazing weekend. (And as an added bonus, Munster won with a penalty from half-way when time was up :))

Congrats on DCM. I’d a feeling you were going to have a great debut and you proved me right. Hope the recovery is going well.

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    I'm still on a high too. Don't think I'll be coming down for some time yet! ;)

Maybe not until October bank holiday weekend next year?? ;)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Congrats on DCM. I’d a feeling you were going to have a great debut and you proved me right. Hope the recovery is going well.

Thanks a million, still so happy with it. You'll love Dublin when you do it!

Post-marathon down week, total of 5.3 miles (3.3 of which were far too quick). Found some more numbers from the marathon tho, which emphasises that the slow start worked a treat for me.

Distance | Time | Position| Gain
    10k| 1:06:08 | 13,823 |
    Half| 2:16:02 | 12,927 | 896
    30k| 3:10:18| 11,610 | 1317
    Finish| 4:26:49 | 10,393 | 1217
    Total | | | 3430

New goal to take me into the New year, tho. I've ran a total of 852 mile so far this year, so want to make it to 1000 before the end of the year. I think I'll have to average ~ 20 miles a week, so that'll keep me honest.

Am also going to sign up to a race soon too. Looking forward to giving the shorter stuff a go.

Day| Actual| Pace
    Mon| 4.5m Easy | 11:11
    Tue| Rest |
    Wed| 4.5m Easy | 11:09
    Thu| Rest |
    Fri| 4.75m Easy | 10:32
    Sat| 4m Easy | 10:50
    Sun| Rest |
    Total | 17.75m

All easy stuff at the moment, with DCM still in the legs. (The quicker Friday pace I'm putting down to mostly being downhill).

Had intended on getting out for a few miles on Sunday, but the heel is giving me grief at the moment so decided to stay off it. Physio appointment 2nite, so hopefully will get to the root of it.

Holding off on deciding a plan until I get the green light there, but I'd like to have the Grads Base plan done, and started into the 10k-HM Grads plan before Raheny 5m (if I can make it to that); I've some amount of acronym's to learn tho :).

Weekly update is gonna be pretty sparse this week, and for the foreseeable. Visited the physio last Monday, who told me to quit the running for 6-8 weeks. The heel pain amounted to an issue in my calcaneus. (New word for my vocab, there).

He's given me some exercises and stretches to do daily, and I'm considering hitting the gym in the meantime to try maintain some of the fitness gains from the marathon.

Pretty gutted, and I'm not gonna hit 1000 miles for the year now, but I'd rather it happen now than 6 weeks ago before DCM. It's also not a bad time of year for it it to happen, as this will take me into the New Year and I can crack on again. Missing it an awful lot already tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Weekly update is gonna be pretty sparse this week, and for the foreseeable. Visited the physio last Monday, who told me to quit the running for 6-8 weeks. The heel pain amounted to an issue in my calcaneus. (New word for my vocab, there).

He's given me some exercises and stretches to do daily, and I'm considering hitting the gym in the meantime to try maintain some of the fitness gains from the marathon.

Pretty gutted, and I'm not gonna hit 1000 miles for the year now, but I'd rather it happen now than 6 weeks ago before DCM. It's also not a bad time of year for it it to happen, as this will take me into the New Year and I can crack on again. Missing it an awful lot already tho...

Sorry to hear of your injury but you are right it's not a bad time of the year to be injured - you won't feel 6-8 weeks passing and before you know it'll be the new year and you'll be back to it with new goals and determination. Can you do anything in the meantime - cycling, swimming or strength training etc? It might help to keep you sane :P Mind yourself x

ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your injury but you are right it's not a bad time of the year to be injured - you won't feel 6-8 weeks passing and before you know it'll be the new year and you'll be back to it with new goals and determination. Can you do anything in the meantime - cycling, swimming or strength training etc? It might help to keep you sane :P Mind yourself x

Thanks ariana. Physio suggested cycling, swimming or a cross-trainer. Basically anything with no/limited impact. I don't enjoy them nearly as much as running, but they'll do for the time being. I'm just mad to give a 5k a crack! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's so annoying aloooof, really sorry to hear you're out injured. It's no fun! At least at this time of year 6 weeks will fly by, but still I know what you mean - cross training etc just isn't the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry to hear you are injured. Hope you find something else to keep you amused until you can run again.

eyrie wrote: »
    That's so annoying aloooof, really sorry to hear you're out injured. It's no fun! At least at this time of year 6 weeks will fly by, but still I know what you mean - cross training etc just isn't the same!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you are injured. Hope you find something else to keep you amused until you can run again.

Thanks, both. I'm taking it as a lesson to properly stretch / foam roll / get physio regularly in future to avoid any more time out. Can't wait to get back at it!

Overdue an update here. Still no running for me, but the injury is vastly improved. Back to physio next Monday evening which I'm hoping will give me the all clear. (Pretty fed up of the exercise bike at this point!)

My only run in the last few weeks was a Parkrun back home in Limerick on Christmas day, my first ever Parkrun! (Probably not the wisest move, but I couldn't resist). Definitely plan on getting some more Parkruns in this year, the atmosphere was great.

2018 Review:
    A pretty memorable year for me (both running and non-running related), but the running highlight by a distance was DCM and being part of the Novices group. Overall, 6 races and 6 PB's, I couldn't have asked for much more, with a total of 873 miles. Was on track to get >1000m but injury did me in.

Month|Race|Distance|Time|Previous PB
    April| Great Ireland Run| 10k | 52:38 | 55:15
    June| Cork Half Marathon| 10k | 2:00:58| 2:04:31
    July| Race Series 10k | 10k | 52:30| 52:38
    Sept| Race Series 10m | 10m | 1:28:55| 1:39:46
    Sept| Race Series Half| 13.1m| 1:58:06| 2:00:58
    Oct| DCM| 26.2m| 4:26:49|

The only negative has been the post-marathon injury, but hopefully I'm nearly over it.

Goals for 2019:
    Currently, it's hard to look beyond saying "remaining injury free" for this. That, coupled with more consistent running, would be the 2 big ones for me, but I can't to the latter without the former. With those in mind, I'd love to aim for the following:
    1. >1000 miles for the year.
    2. 10+ Months of >100 miles.
    3. Sub 50 10k.
    Finally, I'd like to say thanks to everyone for the support on here, and happy running for 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on a great yea, completing a marathon is such a massive achievement, you should be very proud. I hope you're on the road to your 2019 goals very soon!

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on a great yea, completing a marathon is such a massive achievement, you should be very proud. I hope you're on the road to your 2019 goals very soon!

Thanks ariana! This is week 7 out now, so I'm raring to go as soon as the physio gives the go ahead. I'm pretty certain I'd have been crocked long ago, and out for a much longer period if it wasn't for the advice of yourself and the other mentors.

Hope you're over the worst of your various injuries, niggles and post-DCM issues and have a PB-filled 2019!

Best of luck for 2019 and hope you are back to training soon. It’s very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I hope the physio gives you the thumbs up next week and you can get off the exercise bike and back on the road! Best of luck for 2019 :)

• Advertisement

Dusting off the cobwebs here and alas, still no running because of the injury. It's definitely improving but it's taking far longer than I had hoped. I've tried walks of over an hour, and the heel flares up. Considering a second physio opinion at this point.

Anyways, in a fit of frustration (in what probably wasn't the wisest move), I signed up to a white collar boxing class which I've been at for the last few weeks. Enjoying it, something very different to what I'm used to. But I really can't wait to get back run-muting, park running, racing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorry to hear you're still sidelined, it's frustrating as hell I'm sure. A second opinion couldn't hurt, even if it just reiterates the first at least you'll know you're on the right track. Fair play on the boxing, you're braver than I'd be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I think if you're still sidelined, a second opinion would be no harm. I'd to get a second opinion during the summer - it was hella awkward as it was in the same physio, just with a different guy, but it was the best decision for me. The second guy was a runner and I think that made all the difference.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're still sidelined, it's frustrating as hell I'm sure. A second opinion couldn't hurt, even if it just reiterates the first at least you'll know you're on the right track. Fair play on the boxing, you're braver than I'd be!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I think if you're still sidelined, a second opinion would be no harm. I'd to get a second opinion during the summer - it was hella awkward as it was in the same physio, just with a different guy, but it was the best decision for me. The second guy was a runner and I think that made all the difference.

Thanks both. It's just a nagging ache at this point but enough to keep me off it. Hopefully won't be too long more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I agree with the others - a second opinion can do no harm. Everyone approaches problems from a different angles, physio's are no different. Another perspective is always good.

Yes I agree with the others too. Going on too long at this stage. Best of luck and hope you get sorted.

Advertisement