Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas worker loses his job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If the staff / security guards had permission to smack the heads off scumbags on the Luas, there probably wouldn't be as many issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dublin needs a fully funded transport police service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If the staff / security guards had permission to smack the heads off scumbags on the Luas, there probably wouldn't be as many issues.

Genuinely laughed at this! You actually think this would solve the problem without actually creating any other problem whatsoever?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Genuinely laughed at this! You actually think this would solve the problem without actually creating any other problem whatsoever?!

No, but it'd be good craic for a while at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

With suitable authority
    Certain bleeding hearts might come out of the woodwork to decry such suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pyr0 wrote: »

Ah, fair point, I had not considered that the poster was considering the aspect of entertainment!
    Brain Gremlin: Now, bear in mind, none of us has been in New York before. There are the Broadway shows - we'll have to find out how to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I believe we can watch that for free.

why bother paying for a ticket when you can just throw racist abuse at the inspector and he is expected to walk away.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

the guy shouldn't have swiped at the scumbag but I can see why he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

This.

On the story in general , there's no point working in an enforcement role on public transport if you don't have the demeanour to take countless unjustified , wrong and unfair attacks on your nationality, weight, eye colour, sexuality or whatever else the entitled fare dodgers choose to attack you about to distract from the fact they don't have a ticket.

Sad that somebody loses their job over a bunch of racist fare dodgers but a temper or aggression just doesn't fly in any enforcement role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yeah right till the moment of the first death by stabbing, which I would guess would be inside of a week of the 'smacking policy' starting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They need to make the Luas anything but free transport for junkies and scumbags. The thoughts of buying a ticket wouldn't dare enter their head. Conveniently passes the Four Courts for hearings, James' Hospital for methadone clinic and the Liffey boardwalk for scoring gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

What wrong with this country..

He goes to work get abused and a little knacker and loses his Job,

And we have a women at 28 spitting out 7 Kids, that never worked a day and has a criminal record . Getting a apartment cause she took a staged photo.
    Jesus H Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So young thugs have learned a important lesson from this . Act like an eejit , don't buy a ticket , call the security names , and only the security guy gets in trouble . What a stupid country we live in that allows this behaviour to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I have to say I feel for the fella. What sort of parents raise these sort of scrotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Or maybe the police we have already could get the finger out an do their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭JPCN1

RustyNut wrote: »

The Police can do feck all. There are not enough of them, they're underfunded and the Judiciary make a joke of their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While violence never solves anything the circumstances in which the incident occurred are in my opinion being ignored here. Or st the very least there seems to be a desire to make them into less than they were.

He shouldn’t have lashed out but can anyone really blame him?

And of course the dragged up little toe rag who verbally and racially abused him won’t get more than a slap on the wrist.

We are all in our jobs to work, not to be abused and his employers might do well to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Hope he at least hit the little f**k a decent whack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

At the end of the day he's not suitable for the role and definitely deserved being sacked.

I wouldn't be able to put up with that kind of abuse without lashing out physically therfore I also wouldn't be suitable for that job hence why I would never apply for a job like that......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I have to say I feel for the fella. What sort of parents raise these sort of scrotes?

I think you're playing a bit fast and loose with the term 'raise' there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I agree that Ireland needs a transport police, that feral kids are a massive problem on the luas, and that the guy probably doesn't deserve to loose his job over an incident where I can't really blame him for lashing out BUT it definitely wasn't unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Again… Irish law (or lack there of) gives carte blanche, to these scumbags to do as they please, with little to no consequences :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Bring back lashings.
    Little wan*ers

kerry cow wrote: »
    Bring back lashings.
    Little wan*ers

I think what happened when the last time people were empowered to carry out lashings on children in this country would deter us from ever trying again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think what happened when the last time people were empowered to carry out lashings on children in this country would deter us from ever trying again.

So what is the solution for feral racist abusers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Should not have lost his job. Very much an over reaction.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No doubt the youth complained to transdev, got a payout hence this person getting sacked.

It's so easy sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

I'd honestly give them a big tip if they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Should not have lost his job. Very much an over reaction.

Its all managing risk and insurance. Said worker does this, gets a disciplinary and goes back to work.

A year down the road little Johnny gets on a luas with no ticket and calls him (insert racist language). Little Johnny gets struck and ends up with two broken teeth and brain damage.

Mr Transdev has to explain how a person who previously attacked a passenger was left in the role. Negligent before it's even investigated.

He shouldn't be working in security with an inability to deal with being provoked. Like another poster said I wouldn't be able to so i wouldn't work in that field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Course he should have lost his job. He swung a punch at a member of the public.

Doesn't matter what a scumbag says, you can't sanction violence as a justifiable response to verbal abuse.

They are allowed to use reasonable force to remove someone and that's how it should remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No point in putting more people out on the front line to solve the problem when it's our justice system which is problem.

The Gardai and private security aren't effective because of the complete lack of consequence for the scum, a transport police without massive reform of our judicial system is a waste of money and if we fix the judicial system we wouldn't need a transport police.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Doesn't matter what a scumbag says, you can't sanction violence as a justifiable response to verbal abuse.
    This. ^^^

He was given the training he needs to de-escalate the situation and chose not to follow it leaving his employer liable to be dragged to court and paying damages.

You can't go around throwing digs at snotty kids because they said something offensive to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They are allowed to use reasonable force to remove someone and that's how it should remain.

But Ireland has this "tickle it with a feather duster" approach to a real problem. Oh god, wouldn't want to upset the poor little shnuckems!
    As a scumbag I would find that great. Travel for free every day, abusing passengers, abusing staff, if anyone touches me I throw myself on the ground like a premiership footballer and get a massive payout, they can't hold me or I'll do the same, I'll piss and sh*t in the corner, but if ANYONE doesn't call me "Sir" or disrespects me, I'm straight to headquarters and I want that bastard sacked.
    Every few months I'll trip and sue, easy €20k and if I do go to court (almost zero chance) it'll be probation anyway on production of a suitable sob story.
    It's great, the world is my playground, ATM and toilet. And the people in it are there to be exploited, abused and for entertainment.
    Because there is enough soft headed morons that'll stand up and defend this behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Because there is enough soft headed morons that'll stand up and defend this behavior.

Show me one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Aegir wrote: »
    why bother paying for a ticket when you can just throw racist abuse at the inspector and he is expected to walk away.:rolleyes:

He could have stopped the tram and called the police.
    A transit patrol would be great.

• Advertisement

Show me one.

Anyone who says that firing Adil Shafiq was the correct course of action.

What I'm saying is, you can go shoplifting, if you're stopped and challenged, you will get compensation for your reputation being damaged, if someone touches you it's assault and unlawful imprisonment.
    You can act the arse in pretty much any public setting (except pubs, they are the only ones who can manage antisocial behavior), and that includes public transport.
    And it's pretty evident that nothing will be done. If you're willing to accept a few symbolic slaps on the wrist you can do pretty much as you please absolutely anywhere. That of course includes your (socially provided) house, just search for threads on nightmare neighbours. They always boil down to 2 choices. Kowtow to the local gangster or move. Otherwise you can drag them through then courts and that is a joke and means nothing.
    If you don't care, you can piss on people in Ireland all day, every day and, as we have seen in this example, if anyone does flip the lid, they get done.
    That is life face down in the dirt with a boot in your neck.
    Scumbags piss themselves laughing at "deescalation procedures".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I think we can all agree that we need to get a dedicated transport Police for the Luas And Dart Services.

Theres too many scumbags on public transport harassing decent folk.

mikeym wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that we need to get a dedicated transport Police for the Luas And Dart Services.

Theres too many scumbags on public transport harassing decent folk.

I would also add that having someone employed armed with nothing but a clipboard and a stern attitude is about as useful as having a gerbil with a feather duster checking tickets.
    Either transport police who can board a train and remove troublemakers quickly and easily, or not fcuking bother anymore and just let absolutely anything go on those trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Give him back his job Luas.

Little pup deserved what he got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

RustyNut wrote: »

Too busy catching me doing 5km per hour over the limit ON THE WAY TO WORK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Aegir wrote: »

Well most of us aren't arse holes and have the decency to buy a ticket and behave ourselves.

Its ironic that this comes out in the wake of a highly publicised public transport anti racism campaign which Transdev participated in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I have a bit of sympathy for him too but that isn't to say that he didn't deserve to be sacked, because he obviously did. It's all good and well saying he didn't but the reality is that everybody here would sack him if it was up to them.

How can you keep him on in the knowledge that your job is then in jeopardy if he does the same or worse again, which isn't that unlikely on the Luas if he's already done it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I have a bit of sympathy for him too but that isn't to say that he didn't deserve to be sacked, because he obviously did. It's all good and well saying he didn't but the reality is that everybody here would sack him if it was up to them.

How can you keep him on in the knowledge that your job is then in jeopardy if he does the same or worse again, which isn't that unlikely on the Luas if he's already done it once.

Maybe instead of firing people who are provoked by scumbags we should remove the scumbags so that they can't provoke people doing their jobs, then he wouldn't be nearly hitting anyone.

The only culprit in this are the scrotes who were being anti social and racist and the only person who suffered was the worker trying to make the paying passengers journey better. But yeah its all the ticket checkers fault for not taking racist abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Del2005 wrote: »
    Maybe instead of firing people who are provoked by scumbags we should remove the scumbags so that they can't provoke people doing their jobs, then he wouldn't be nearly hitting anyone.

Banning scumbags from the Luas isn't very practical though is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Parents are the problem , but the again its the states fault for creating parents like that .
    The apple dont fall far from the tree .
    Waisters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't blame him at all for doing what he did. Should not have lost his job. Disgusting that people who want to contribute to society are taking that ****.

I'm sure the young lad will be up again for something else soon. Hopefully when it does he gets what's owed to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly the problem in the first place is that the little scrotes are acting the way they are because they think they're able to do what they want. The threat of a beatdown on their leeching asses or the threat of a severe retaliation would cause the little scummers to think twice to be honest.

I also feel that sacking the lad is completely disproportionate and unwarranted. The whole "conflict management training" BS is usually just that. It's only effective with people not subhuman animals tanked on drink and drugs. The ONLY thing these animals will cower before is when theyre outnumbered or outgunned and nothing else. Anything else is devoid of the reality of things these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Scumbags piss themselves laughing at "deescalation procedures".

If only that meant throwing the little scum down a flight of stairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

There'll always be scumbags on public transport. I doubt it's his first encounter with ****ebag kids. Occupational hazard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement