Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$ 5th Year 2018/19 Off-Topic & General Chat Thread $

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Fastidious

c_f_p99 wrote: »
    Yeah, all questions prepared for JC. I’ll probably just ask her where you could get resources to learn the other questions. Also have you looked at the paper? The questions seem very similar especially in harmony where it looks to be a case of « one thing’s given, fill in the rest ». Only that for Q4, chord structures are given, for Q5 it’s treble and for Q6 it’s bass. Hardly all that different. I doubt the doing a dance melody in Q3 is that different from a normal one in Q1 (only that the form is AA1BB1) either (avoiding Q2 at all costs though, avoided it for JC too). I know you probably wouldn't be able to know, but how about we ask our teachers to see if it's worth it?

Idk...I got an A in JC and we only prepared one type of melody, I think it's just a load of unnecessary stress..the course is long enough as it is what with 4 set works and Irish music to cover too. Yeah Im gonna stick to the AABB melody and the harmony q where you have to fill in the bass and suitable chords,, that must be the most popular option. Hoping for H1 but have been getting consistent H4s in both...should only improve hopefully.

Speaking of which, how many set works have you done? We're just about finished movement two of mozart,, and there is another movement plus 3 other set works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

Fastidious wrote: »
    Idk...I got an A in JC and we only prepared one type of melody, I think it's just a load of unnecessary stress..the course is long enough as it is what with 4 set works and Irish music to cover too. Yeah Im gonna stick to the AABB melody and the harmony q where you have to fill in the bass and suitable chords,, that must be the most popular option. Hoping for H1 but have been getting consistent H4s in both...should only improve hopefully.

Speaking of which, how many set works have you done? We're just about finished movement two of mozart,, and there is another movement plus 3 other set works!!
    Geez, I thought I was behind with the set works. We've done 2, Berlioz (I like) and Beatles (Don't like as much due to horrible dictation). What's Mozart like? That's the next one we're doing. And I did the extra composing questions for JC because they were so similar, I guess I'll end up doing the same for LC.

Geez, I thought I was behind with the set works. We've done 2, Berlioz (I like) and Beatles (Don't like as much due to horrible dictation). What's Mozart like? That's the next one we're doing. And I did the extra composing questions for JC because they were so similar, I guess I'll end up doing the same for LC.

Well at least theres no full q on dictation although they do come up in listening and I kind of just hope for the best..
    Mozart..its alright. As good as classical music gets anyways...I have it downloaded and listen to on the way to school most mornings..in fairness I have a really good teacher but sometimes we can go into a bit too much depth and we analyse the score page by page..we'd be lucky if we got three pages covered in one class..

Do you know what your playing for the practical yet? I know its a million moons away now but it wont be long coming around and my teacher insists we have our pieces nailed by the beginning of sixth year.

Well at least theres no full q on dictation although they do come up in listening and I kind of just hope for the best..
    Mozart..its alright. As good as classical music gets anyways...I have it downloaded and listen to on the way to school most mornings..in fairness I have a really good teacher but sometimes we can go into a bit too much depth and we analyse the score page by page..we'd be lucky if we got three pages covered in one class..

Do you know what your playing for the practical yet? I know its a million moons away now but it wont be long coming around and my teacher insists we have our pieces nailed by the beginning of sixth year.

Yeah, I have at least six pieces prepared. Also, what do you mean by analysing? We've had tests on the set works on past/mock papers (I mean how else can you test them effectively?) and the questions are strangely very simple and memorising a few hard features of melody/rhythm in each section is enough to cover me (usually). Dictation can be nasty, but I think the best way to approach it (for the Beatles, at least) is to memorise the melodies by playing them on the piano or something like that. The marking scheme is probably the nicest out of any other subject (not for composing though) and barely require any detail in answers (compared to other subjects). That being said, I always get wary of this section as there could always be questions that could come up where I'm not really sure how to answer them.

That all being said, I'm really good at listening to music in my head. In fact, I actually find this more effective than listening to them. However, the unseens seem a lot harder since you can't study for them... have you done any of them yet?

Yeah, I have at least six pieces prepared. Also, what do you mean by analysing? We've had tests on the set works on past/mock papers (I mean how else can you test them effectively?) and the questions are strangely very simple and memorising a few hard features of melody/rhythm in each section is enough to cover me (usually). Dictation can be nasty, but I think the best way to approach it (for the Beatles, at least) is to memorise the melodies by playing them on the piano or something like that. The marking scheme is probably the nicest out of any other subject (not for composing though) and barely require any detail in answers (compared to other subjects). That being said, I always get wary of this section as there could always be questions that could come up where I'm not really sure how to answer them.

That all being said, I'm really good at listening to music in my head. In fact, I actually find this more effective than listening to them. However, the unseens seem a lot harder since you can't study for them... have you done any of them yet?

You're well set then..how long are your pieces? Most of the ones I've prepared are anywhere between two and three minutes but I also want to play this sonata that takes about five minutes; worried that I'll be stopped which would be a shame..and what standard are they? Mine are grade 7 8 ish.. I'm thinking of doing the sight reading, should be a piece of cake having done grade 8 and plus I always forget the rhythm to clap back so yeah .

I mean by literally going bar by bar marking any musical features and highlighting key themes etc etc it's very time consuming but you buy the scores for a reason I suppose...Surely this is how most music teachers would approach the set works? It is effective or at least I think, like for remembering themes etc .. I'm sure once we finish mozart we will answer the exam questions but right now we're focusing on appreciating the music itself as opposed to just rote learning (this further supports my claim that public schools > grind..):)

That's a very good idea..I feel bad for those that don't play piano...such an advantage..an unfair one to be honest

I don't know..I'm awful at recognising various instruments..but it's pretty similar to JC no? At least the ones that we've done so far are ...

Definitely the hardest part of the course is composition. Well actually it isn't that difficult but as said it can be hard to be authentic and it's really hit or miss..at least for me..I was actually doing a harmony q for hw today went to check the marking scheme and they don't even give the recommended chords...just marking guidelines...cause that's helpful!

It's not as long a course as say maths. What have you done? Idk,, definitely have picked up the pace since coming back after Christmas so since the beginning of 5th year we've done all of algebra, logs indices, a bit of statistics, line, circle and halfway through trigonometry..not sure if this is good going ??

• Advertisement

You're well set then..how long are your pieces? Most of the ones I've prepared are anywhere between two and three minutes but I also want to play this sonata that takes about five minutes; worried that I'll be stopped which would be a shame..and what standard are they? Mine are grade 7 8 ish.. I'm thinking of doing the sight reading, should be a piece of cake having done grade 8 and plus I always forget the rhythm to clap back so yeah .

I mean by literally going bar by bar marking any musical features and highlighting key themes etc etc it's very time consuming but you buy the scores for a reason I suppose...Surely this is how most music teachers would approach the set works? It is effective or at least I think, like for remembering themes etc .. I'm sure once we finish mozart we will answer the exam questions but right now we're focusing on appreciating the music itself as opposed to just rote learning (this further supports my claim that public schools > grind..):)

That's a very good idea..I feel bad for those that don't play piano...such an advantage..an unfair one to be honest

I don't know..I'm awful at recognising various instruments..but it's pretty similar to JC no? At least the ones that we've done so far are ...

Definitely the hardest part of the course is composition. Well actually it isn't that difficult but as said it can be hard to be authentic and it's really hit or miss..at least for me..I was actually doing a harmony q for hw today went to check the marking scheme and they don't even give the recommended chords...just marking guidelines...cause that's helpful!

It's not as long a course as say maths. What have you done? Idk,, definitely have picked up the pace since coming back after Christmas so since the beginning of 5th year we've done all of algebra, logs indices, a bit of statistics, line, circle and halfway through trigonometry..not sure if this is good going ??

Oh, My music class goes through the music exactly how you're going through it. I just feel that you really don't need much detail for exam questions, that's all. My pieces can be long, though I doubt too long (4 mins on average I think).

Maths isn't that long a course now. Teachers just go through it so slowly (but then and again, the same applies to music and English). I mean, I barely have to actually revise the subject (for now, at least) so perhaps we're going too slowly, that's all.

We haven't done any statistics or co-ordinate geometry of line/circle (although from seeing paper questions, co-ordinate geometry seems exactly like the JC). What's statistics like? I know standard deviation and variance (self-taught) and tried to start on differentiation (might continue with that). It's not easy at all (I hope I don't sound cocky), but still grand.

I agree with you on composition, actually. I went in thinking that it would be free marks like the JC, but no, not at all. Even with grade 7 theory, I still don't really findiI think that much easier (you have to compose more bars). Melody is harder than I remembered. Harmony is easier though, so it balances out. Still barely any work compared to other subjects, but like you said, very difficult to get the H1, especially in melody.

And yes, I'm so bad at recognising instruments too! Can't believe I didn't mention it earlier. For the set works it's grand though, you can just learn them off. But for the unseen, it can pose problems.

I learn best from reading the scores, but this is exactly why I don't like the Beatles that much; the score doesn't show all the instruments playing their melodies like in Berlioz.

As for the grade of my pieces, I dunno. Somewhere between grade 8 and performance diploma level. I always hated sight-reading, but the standard at LC level seems ridiculously low so I might either do that or aural memory rhythm. Have you tried that?

Anyway, I hope people aren't turned off from this forum.

Oh, My music class goes through the music exactly how you're going through it. I just feel that you really don't need much detail for exam questions, that's all. My pieces can be long, though I doubt too long (4 mins on average I think).

Maths isn't that long a course now. Teachers just go through it so slowly (but then and again, the same applies to music and English). I mean, I barely have to actually revise the subject (for now, at least) so perhaps we're going too slowly, that's all.

We haven't done any statistics or co-ordinate geometry of line/circle (although from seeing paper questions, co-ordinate geometry seems exactly like the JC). What's statistics like? I know standard deviation and variance (self-taught) and tried to start on differentiation (might continue with that). It's not easy at all (I hope I don't sound cocky), but still grand.

I agree with you on composition, actually. I went in thinking that it would be free marks like the JC, but no, not at all. Even with grade 7 theory, I still don't really findiI think that much easier (you have to compose more bars). Melody is harder than I remembered. Harmony is easier though, so it balances out. Still barely any work compared to other subjects, but like you said, very difficult to get the H1, especially in melody.

And yes, I'm so bad at recognising instruments too! Can't believe I didn't mention it earlier. For the set works it's grand though, you can just learn them off. But for the unseen, it can pose problems.

I learn best from reading the scores, but this is exactly why I don't like the Beatles that much; the score doesn't show all the instruments playing their melodies like in Berlioz.

As for the grade of my pieces, I dunno. Somewhere between grade 8 and performance diploma level. I always hated sight-reading, but the standard at LC level seems ridiculously low so I might either do that or aural memory rhythm. Have you tried that?

By a bit of statistics I mean like the basics, I don't know if you use active maths but just the first statistics chapter so really basic stuff essentially a revision of JC stuff with new things like correlation coefficients thrown in too..not overly difficult but I'm sure the subsequent statistics chapters will get progressively harder..

I know what you mean...which in my opinion is a major flaw of the music exam. Think of the time spent on studying the set works and when it comes to the exam the questions are literally like identify one rhythmic and melodic feature...it's laughable. From looking at the papers.. the only aspect of the course I think you need a fairly detailed response in is the Irish music section where you have to compose not an essay as such more so a few paragraphs on various topics like the harping tradition etc..should be fine. Definitely a lovely subject but as you said the H1 grade rate is extremely low and there's then a disproportionate amount getting H2s which is annoying to say the least.

I'm adamant that if I do the sight reading I'll play one note wrong that should've been a flat or whatever however what other choice do I really have-I won't be able to remember the rhythm or the melody to sing back lol

If maths wasn't a long course then why would they award the bonus 25 points? Don't want to start another debate or anything but surely even the fact there's two 450 pg books would indicate that it's quite a long course....btw I really don't agree with the bonus 25 points idea, I know it was to incentivise people to attempt it but no one should be at an automatic disadvantage just because they struggle with maths..

Anyway, I hope people are turned off from this forum.

That's an odd thing to say

That's an odd thing to say

Aw, crap, that was a typo! I meant I hoped people aren't turned away from this forum.

• Advertisement

By a bit of statistics I mean like the basics, I don't know if you use active maths but just the first statistics chapter so really basic stuff essentially a revision of JC stuff with new things like correlation coefficients thrown in too..not overly difficult but I'm sure the subsequent statistics chapters will get progressively harder..

I know what you mean...which in my opinion is a major flaw of the music exam. Think of the time spent on studying the set works and when it comes to the exam the questions are literally like identify one rhythmic and melodic feature...it's laughable. From looking at the papers.. the only aspect of the course I think you need a fairly detailed response in is the Irish music section where you have to compose not an essay as such more so a few paragraphs on various topics like the harping tradition etc..should be fine. Definitely a lovely subject but as you said the H1 grade rate is extremely low and there's then a disproportionate amount getting H2s which is annoying to say the least.

I'm adamant that if I do the sight reading I'll play one note wrong that should've been a flat or whatever however what other choice do I really have-I won't be able to remember the rhythm or the melody to sing back lol

If maths wasn't a long course then why would they award the bonus 25 points? Don't want to start another debate or anything but surely even the fact there's two 450 pg books would indicate that it's quite a long course....btw I really don't agree with the bonus 25 points idea, I know it was to incentivise people to attempt it but no one should be at an automatic disadvantage just because they struggle with maths..

No bonus points were added to Maths before 2012 and the course was even longer before then. I'm not saying that it's short, but I sincerely doubt that it even compares to something like History or Biology. There's very little learning off too which means that you don't have to revise it as much as others (just my opinion though). This is just my opinion, though, I never said that it was short, probably moderate from my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought boards was a place to challenge the views of simpletons I find it odd that you, an adult, seek to control this conversation..
    You're wrong.

It's a discussion forum, not a venue for a verbal punch-up.

I would suggest you read the Boards FAQs / Guidelines here carefully.

In particular, you should pay attention to the parts re: courtesy and respect, not responding to posts with personal attacks, etc., etc.

The next time you refer to users of this forum as simpletons or tell them they would fit right in in Iran, expect a ban.

It is perfectly possible to disagree with someone (and by all means do disagree, conformity of opinion is not required here) without descending to rudeness, personal attacks or sarcasm. In fact, to do so only diminishes your own argument.

And no, we don't guarantee you absolute freedom of speech, there is no such thing anywhere in the world, there are always caveats and checks and balances to ensure that one person's right to free speech does not overwhelm or diminish other peoples' rights. The same is true here on Boards.
    No freedom of speech.
    This is a private website. There is no "right" to freedom of speech here. We, the Admins, and the Moderators DO want to promote discussion, but FREE un-moderated discussion online turns into a screaming match between children. We believe that rules of etiquette should be applied (see below). Shouting about how we have infringed your "freedom of speech" on a privately owned website is silly. You can use blogger.com to say what YOU like, what you aren’t entitled to is access to the community we have built here without abiding by the community's rules, as decided and enforced by us.

You're wrong.

It's a discussion forum, not a venue for a verbal punch-up.

I would suggest you read the Boards FAQs / Guidelines here carefully.

In particular, you should pay attention to the parts re: courtesy and respect, not responding to posts with personal attacks, etc., etc.

The next time you refer to users of this forum as simpletons or tell them they would fit right in in Iran, expect a ban.

It is perfectly possible to disagree with someone (and by all means do disagree, conformity of opinion is not required here) without descending to rudeness, personal attacks or sarcasm. In fact, to do so only diminishes your own argument.

And no, we don't guarantee you absolute freedom of speech, there is no such thing anywhere in the world, there are always caveats and checks and balances to ensure that one person's right to free speech does not overwhelm or diminish other peoples' rights. The same is true here on Boards.

So apparently telling someone that they'd love it in Iran is unacceptable...I smell a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So apparently telling someone that they'd love it in Iran is unacceptable...
    When the implication is that another user would "fit right in" to a society where conformity of opinion is not just expected but enforced, yes, it is.
    ... I smell a racist
    I "smell" someone who doesn't know when to stop digging a deeper hole ...

Advertisement