Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road closures during the Pope's visit Sunday 26th August

Options
  • 16-08-2018 9:44pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought this might be useful to post here in case anyone missed it. These are the proposed road closures for Sunday 26th August when the Pope visits the Phoenix Park. Closures are going to be 6am to midnight that day.

http://www.fingal.ie/roads-and-travel/road-works-and-closures/visitofpopefrancisaugust26th/
    Proposed Temporary Closure of Roads - Visit of Pope Francis
    Please find below proposed Temporary Closure of Roads in relation to the Visit of Pope Francis - World Meeting of Families 2018 Phoenix Park Event Sunday August 26th

Temporary Closure of Roads in Fingal Area

World Meeting Of Families 2018 Phoenix Park Event

An application has been received from the Office of Public Works for permission to temporarily close the following roads in the Fingal Area from 6.00am to 11.59pm on Sunday 26th August 2018. These will be intermittent Garda controlled road closures and restricted parking, as necessary, to facilitate safe passage of people and public transport, to and from the Phoenix Park, within the area bounded by and including:-
    • Knockmaroon Hill from junction with Tower Road to Martin’s Row.
    • Lower Lucan Road from junction with Knockmaroon Hill to Lucan Bridge.
    • Somerton Lane.
    • Rugged Lane.
    • Tower Road from junction with Knockmaroon Hill to White’s Road.
    • White’s Road from junction with Tower Road to White’s Gate.
    • College Road from junction with Tower Road/White’s Road to Castleknock Road.
    • Luttrellstown Road from junction with White’s Road/Tower Road via Sandpits to junction with Porterstown Road/Rugged Lane.
    • Carpenterstown Road from junction with Luttrellstown Road to Diswellstown Road (Carpenter Pub Roundabout).
    • Anna Liffey Mills Road (Tinkers Hill) from junction with Lower Lucan Road (Strawberry Beds) to junction with Westmanstown Road.
    • Castleknock Road from junction with Roselawn Road to R147/Navan Road at Ashtown Roundabout (Halfway House).
    • Laurel Lodge Road from junction with Castleknock Road to Laverna Roundabout/ Carpenterstown Road East.
    • Auburn Avenue from junction with R147/Navan Road to Castleknock Road.
    • R147/Navan Road from junction with M50 (J7) to Ashtown Roundabout (Halfway House).
    • R147 Navan Road Parkway Train Station overpass including all ramps.
    • Ashtown Road from junction with River Road to R147/Navan Road (Ashtown Roundabout).
    • River Road from junction with Ashtown Road to junction with Dunsink Lane.
    • Dunsink Lane from junction with R147/Navan Road to Dunsink Observatory.

An application has also been received from the Office of Public Works for permission to temporarily close the following road in the Fingal Area from 6.00am to 12.00pm(midday) on Saturday 25th August 2018 and from 6.00am to 8pm on Sunday 26th August 2018:-

R108 from the roundabout (between the R122 and the L3125) to Kilreesk Road (L3132 St. Margaret’s bypass)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Horrendous. We either take the M50 or go West :mad: City centre has mental closures in the Saturday too including O'Connell bridge!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh really? I hadn't checked the city closures :eek:
    OH reckons we should vacate the area that weekend. He might be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He is right, its feckin madness. I would avoid the M50 completely, between those who travel for the event by car ignoring the warnings and those who have no idea its even on, it will be as mental as a snowy Tuesday.

Get out of town by Saturday lunchtime and stay gone till Monday ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redhand07

beauf wrote: »

i thought i read, locals will still be allowed us the roads as normal? or it it a compete shut down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Shut down for cars on the roads marked. I see signs have appeared on the roads telling you the road will be closed on the 26th.

Its interesting they have closed Laurel Lodge roads, for no reason at all as there is no way to get to the park from it. But it will prevent locals from going to the shops etc.

Maybe its to stop parking in estates. (Maybe they say that now I've said it).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

Shut down for cars on the roads marked. I see signs have appeared on the roads telling you the road will be closed on the 26th.

Its interesting they have closed Laurel Lodge roads, for no reason at all as there is no way to get to the park from it. But it will prevent locals from going to the shops etc.

Maybe its to stop parking in estates. (Maybe they say that now I've said it).

I was looking at a map this morning, and from what I could make out it looks like there is going to be some sort of a "Dublin Bus Hub" and a Park and Ride Facility at the Top of Laurel Lodge. I have no idea what a Dublin Bus Hub is, but it might explain when the road going through Laurel Lodge is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

dtf wrote: »
    I was looking at a map this morning, and from what I could make out it looks like there is going to be some sort of a "Dublin Bus Hub" and a Park and Ride Facility at the Top of Laurel Lodge. I have no idea what a Dublin Bus Hub is, but it might explain when the road going through Laurel Lodge is closed

A Dublin bus hub will operate before and after the mass to/from Laurel Lodge
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/16657/Hub%20map%207.pdf
    the high frequency service will start at 8am

more at https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/World-Meetings-of-Family/

Not being a bus user, never occurred to me it would for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

It seems crazy how far they are making people walk for this mass - any mass I have been to in the last few years has mostly old people or families with young kids. They seem to have completely forgotten their audience and with the roads closed to cars it seems like there will be very little traffic between laurel lodge and the park gate, yet they are making people walk it.

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »
    It seems crazy how far they are making people walk for this mass - any mass I have been to in the last few years has mostly old people or families with young kids. They seem to have completely forgotten their audience and with the roads closed to cars it seems like there will be very little traffic between laurel lodge and the park gate, yet they are making people walk it.

Would you let cars drive up Jones Road or Clonliffe Rd just after the All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

redhand07 wrote: »
    i thought i read, locals will still be allowed us the roads as normal? or it it a compete shut down?

Not entirely sure.

Heading north on Friday, coming back Sunday evening and trying to get to Military Road D8. Not sure what to do at all, have emailed TFI for clarification cuz I've read "local access only" as well

maximoose wrote: »
    Not entirely sure.

Heading north on Friday, coming back Sunday evening and trying to get to Military Road D8. Not sure what to do at all, have emailed TFI for clarification cuz I've read "local access only" as well

Aim to come back around Midnight, you'll be fine.

The Dublin Bus Hubs are a selection of one-day only bus routes to bring people from various park and rides and train stations to designated drop-offs from where they walk to the mass grounds. Laurel Lodge at the Castleknock station green is one.

Today, they announced the list of items banned from being taken into the Park. Some of them are obvious and fair enough, like pets, drones, golf umbrellas, camping stoves. But, mobility scooters and light camping stools are also banned. Add that to the 7km average walk from the Bus Hubs, are they trying to kill off the old folk who will probably make up the bulk of the attendance? The temporary morgue is necessitated by the OPWs own arrangements!

Still no word of cycling access from Friday after 7 all through Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

Best to give it a miss and just see him when he's back again in about 40 years.

Still no word of cycling access from Friday after 7 all through Monday.

The park is closed to everyone (vehicles, bikes, pedestrians etc) from 7pm on Friday night

Bicycles wont be allowed into the park on Sunday.

Bradlin wrote: »
    Best to give it a miss and just see him when he's back again in about 40 years.

Crowd will be 50% smaller by then too..

pclive wrote: »
    The park is closed to everyone (vehicles, bikes, pedestrians etc) from 7pm on Friday night

They've said only ticket holders on Sunday but not the other days.

They only said cars will not be allowed on the other days. Where did you see it mention pedestrians and bicycles.

They've said only ticket holders on Sunday but not the other days.

They only said cars will not be allowed on the other days. Where did you see it mention pedestrians and bicycles.

yes except ticket holders on a Sunday is a given

from the Phoenix park website:
    Please note there will be no vehicular or pedestrian access to the Phoenix Park by the public (except ticket holders) from 7pm on Friday, 24th August until 7am on Tuesday, 28th August for operational and security reasons associated with this major event. This is necessary for works to be undertaken, including the installation and removal of essential infrastructure throughout the entire Park and also the removal and re-installation of road signage and other road modifications for the event.

• Advertisement

Are any schools back on Monday? Traffic will be a nightmare with the Park closed.

yes except ticket holders on a Sunday is a given

from the Phoenix park website:
    Please note there will be no vehicular or pedestrian access to the Phoenix Park by the public (except ticket holders) from 7pm on Friday, 24th August until 7am on Tuesday, 28th August for operational and security reasons associated with this major event. This is necessary for works to be undertaken, including the installation and removal of essential infrastructure throughout the entire Park and also the removal and re-installation of road signage and other road modifications for the event.

Ok thanks I didn't see that on the park website.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭paulpd

We've decided to get out of Dublin and are heading for Belfast for the Titanic at 7am Sunday - back Sunday night. I'm assuming it'll be plain sailing up the M50 / M1 at those hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

TFI replied to me:
    local access will be facilitated as far as possible. The roads will be manned by Gardai who will prioritise local access on the day
    . Kind regards, TFI

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If anyone was thinking of getting the bus into town (or anywhere along the route) the 39/39A/38/37 will be servicing stops as normal up to M50 (ish) inbound, then heading on M50 and in to town via Finglas on Sunday.

Sunday 26th August diversions

Saturday doesn't appear to affect Dublin 15 routes but you can check Saturday diversions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

What's the story about people who have to drive to work from the area and coming back home later on Sunday?

Got a load of stuff in the post today. Really annoyed at how much this visit is going to negatively impact my weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im wondering if bicycles are allowed to use the canal path on Sunday to get into town, Ive seen conflicting accounts. If not then whats the option, drive up the m50 and in by Finglas or do you have to go via Whitehall?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm planning to head south on the N7/M7 on Sunday. As I understand it, there is no access towards the city off the M50 at the Red Cow but going south is OK.
    Can anyone confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

I'm in the cabra arena and seem to be pinned in all around looking at the map

Advertisement