Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road closures during the Pope's visit Sunday 26th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Carpenterstown through Laurel Lodge towards Blanch and Castleknock is closed 06.00-23.00

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Surely people that live there can get out in the car and back with id

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

New information
    Larbre34 wrote: »

Today, they announced the list of items banned from being taken into the Park. Some of them are obvious and fair enough, like pets, drones, golf umbrellas, camping stoves. But, mobility scooters and light camping stools are also banned. !

Would love to know rationale for banning the camping stools. The country was awash with them after the '79 visit, in fact there may still be some tucked away in attics. Re mobility scooters, so have they made any provision at all for people with disabilities. The whole thing seems way ott, Health & Safety protocols probably stricter now>
    Funny thing is at one level youre right, crowd likely to be very much older people but wonder will there be a whole cohort of non-religious "selfie" generation "celebrity" groupies there too since he is a world figure

PS See on IT it just says "folding armchairs" or "deckchairs" banned so guess you'd get away with a Pope's stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

First Up wrote: »
    I'm planning to head south on the N7/M7 on Sunday. As I understand it, there is no access towards the city off the M50 at the Red Cow but going south is OK.
    Can anyone confirm?

Yes. But expect mayhem on the M50 from early morning anyway. There will be many thousands of people (tourists, nordies, foreign national residents, hipsters) who wont have a clue whats going on and will hit the road anyway.

On that note, i just thought of the Airport and this is on their website

"Flight operations at Dublin Airport are not expected to be affected by the visit of Pope Francis to Ireland on Saturday, August 25 and Sunday, August 26.

There will be a series of road closures in place in Dublin for the weekend and passengers are advised to take account of this and plan their journey to and from Dublin Airport accordingly."

Now, thats fine and well for locals arriving or departing Dublin, they can make a plan, but how many foreigners are going to assume City Centre access is as per usual and find themselves either stranded at the Terminal or missing flights out. Bear in mind, Taxis are included in the cordon ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Train timetable up now. Will be a mixture of Maynooth and m3 parkway into Connolly but in general will be every 15-20 minutes up until the last train out of Connolly at 21.30hrs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I live in Castleknock and will be travelling back to Dublin Sunday evening, are the roads completely closed or are residents allowed on them ? They cant stop people coming and going from their houses surely ?

threein99 wrote:
    I live in Castleknock and will be travelling back to Dublin Sunday evening, are the roads completely closed or are residents allowed on them ? They cant stop people coming and going from their houses surely ?

That's what I was asking and people don't seem to know . This so called visit be beyond a joke with the cost of it and hassle to people who live in around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Bring lots of ID.

That's what I was asking and people don't seem to know . This so called visit be beyond a joke with the cost of it and hassle to people who live in around it.

I saw this on dublincity.ie

Road Closures
    A common sense approach will be applied by Gardai and stewards on the day. Gardai will facilitate residents and businesses where possible on road closures. This means that residents and businesses will be allowed limited movement on these roads where there is no risk to pedestrian safety. The public are asked to carry proof of address or employment.

threein99 wrote:
    Road Closures A common sense approach will be applied by Gardai and stewards on the day. Gardai will facilitate residents and businesses where possible on road closures. This means that residents and businesses will be allowed limited movement on these roads where there is no risk to pedestrian safety. The public are asked to carry proof of address or employment.

Sometimes it can be hard finding a garda with common sense lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi folks, I need to drop someone to the airport around 10am Sunday morning. We'll be travelling from clonee. I've been looking up information on road closures and saw something about the n3 and parts of the m50 being closed. I'm panicking now in case she misses her flight. Surely we'll be able to get to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I need to drop someone to the airport around 10am Sunday morning. We'll be travelling from clonee. I've been looking up information on road closures and saw something about the n3 and parts of the m50 being closed. I'm panicking now in case she misses her flight. Surely we'll be able to get to the airport?

You will. The M50 is open and there are plenty of back roads too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's open, but if you're worried about the N3 just go through Damastown, Tyrellstown, cross the N2 and you're basically at the airport.

Google maps directions link

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Will google maps be updated with the road closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Anyone reckon the M50 southbound from Blanch exit to Ballymount will be busy tomorrow around 12 midday? Have to collect a car... will be heading back northbound then.

You'd probably be quicker going via the back roads on Sunday to the airport.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Anyone reckon the M50 southbound from Blanch exit to Ballymount will be busy tomorrow around 12 midday? Have to collect a car... will be heading back northbound then.

I reckon it'd be alright tomorrow, only road closures are in and around the city centre - it's Sunday that might be difficult.

miamee wrote: »
    I reckon it'd be alright tomorrow, only road closures are in and around the city centre - it's Sunday that might be difficult.

Yeah that's my thoughts too but my mother who's bringing me to collect the car thinks it'll be mental. Ah well, we shall see who is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

What the rds be like going to Finglas on Sunday, from Hartstown???

• Advertisement

Use back roads, shouldn't be bad, planning on going tomorrow myself around 11.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

After the complete lack of crowds today - 100,000 expected - they may open all the roads tomorrow.

Any updates on the closures? Is it possible to get around Castleknock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

threein99 wrote: »

Castleknock Village, driving no.

Did you not look at the maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nope. All closed up as far and including Carpenterstown

All Eyes On Rafah

Would have been the perfect opportunity to promote cycling around d15 how its an hour plus walk but a 15 min cycle.

But no provision for cycling at all. Stopping cyclists at pecks lane.

Nope. All closed up as far and including Carpenterstown

Are they letting locals in? Driving back from Mayo and not sure how we will get in

beauf wrote: »
    Castleknock Village, driving no.

Did you not look at the maps?

Maps? Why didnt I think of that

Theres links on the first page of this thread to map of the closures. From what I've seen they've stuck to that.

Looking in TV it looks about 50% the expected numbers.

• Advertisement

Are they letting locals in? Driving back from Mayo and not sure how we will get in

Probably. I saw the odd car on the closed roads. Theres cops at every junction.

Advertisement