Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Review 12 Months into Tenancy - Is this Legal

Options
  • 07-08-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Received a text this morning from Landlord advising that rent will increase by 4% from this day next month.
    We are 12 months into our tenancy and in a RPZ.

From rtb.ie I gather that a) he must wait till 24 months before increasing rent from the beginning of a new tenancy and b) must allow 90 days for a rent review to come into play regardless.
    Before I respond, are the above points A and B correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Hi Folks,

Received a text this morning from Landlord advising that rent will increase by 4% from this day next month.
    We are 12 months into our tenancy and in a RPZ.

From rtb.ie I gather that a) he must wait till 24 months before increasing rent from the beginning of a new tenancy and b) must allow 90 days for a rent review to come into play regardless.
    Before I respond, are the above points A and B correct?

He can conduct a rent review 12 months after your lease commences in an RPZ. He must give you 90 days written notice of the rent increase - so it will be 15 months after your tenancy started before rent increase takes effect.

He can increase the rent by 5% - because it will be 15 months not 12 months from the previous rent increase before the increase takes effect - (15/12) = 1.25, 1.25*4%=5%.

The 90 days doesn't start running until you receive the proper written notice, so i guess it will be 17 months or so into the tenancy before the increase takes effect in your case. If it stretches to 18 months it would be open to him to increase by 6%.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Moved to new thread

Advertisement