Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I at a disadvantage if I do 8 subjects?

Options
  • 16-08-2018 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hey everyone. TY is over and 5th year starts in a few weeks. I'm doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Economics next year (all HL). I studied a bit of all of them in TY cause Ty was a bore and I love all my subjects especially Physics

I tried AP Maths but hated it and I was so confused (I am not a mathematical genius) so I'm not doing it. At the same time I tried out Economics and I loved it and I have all of Microeconomics done (I did Microeconomics by myself in TY and it was really easy

I was able to study all of Microeconomics in Ty because we did nothing in TY but with 5th year coming and all the stress and everything do you think me doing an 8th subject puts me at a disadvantage? I'm really enjoying doing Economics by myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rk2301

naxmax9 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. TY is over and 5th year starts in a few weeks. I'm doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Economics next year (all HL). I studied a bit of all of them in TY cause Ty was a bore and I love all my subjects especially Physics

I tried AP Maths but hated it and I was so confused (I am not a mathematical genius) so I'm not doing it. At the same time I tried out Economics and I loved it and I have all of Microeconomics done (I did Microeconomics by myself in TY and it was really easy

I was able to study all of Microeconomics in Ty because we did nothing in TY but with 5th year coming and all the stress and everything do you think me doing an 8th subject puts me at a disadvantage? I'm really enjoying doing Economics by myself.

Personally I think doing eight subjects is doable but not really worth it. I did eight subjects for most of fifth year and I ended up dropping my eighth before the end of the year because the workload was too much. I didn’t have enough time to study each of my subjects as in depth as I wanted to. So yeah by doing eight subjects you might be spreading yourself a bit thin! At the end of the day you only count your best six so doing eight just adds unnecessary stress imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doctorXwho

I did eight subjects for my leaving cert this year and I’m really glad I did. My extra subject was one that I enjoyed studying so there was less pressure for me to get a H1/H2 in French, my worst subject. Taking up an eighth subject does mean that you’ll be studying a bit more than your friends but it’s certainly doable.
    In the last few months of sixth year I did actually decide to just stop studying French altogether so that I could focus on my other seven. However I still got a H3 in it (my worst grade) which does show that my leaving cert didnt suffer because I took up an extra subject. This seemed to be the case for many of my friends who did eight subjects too. The extra workload might work to your advantage because you’ll have to manage your time properly.
    If it’s too much you could always drop out of one subject after Christmas/5th year :) best of luck

Advertisement