Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What years count towards your degree?

Options
  • 17-08-2018 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm transferring to the 2nd year of a 4 year course.

I know in my old course it was 3 years and the final 2 counted towards your final result.

I'm going into Business Information Systems.
    I assume all four years count.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

From my understanding, the first year doesn't count ( I guess in the majority of colleges the first year is just getting people up to speed on the subject they are studying and serves as an introduction)

So on the 4-year course second, third and fourth year are what count towards your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Just ask your lecturers, to make sure.

Level 7 courses are usually 3 years long, and so year 3 is what really counts for that. Level 8 courses are usually 4 years long, and in the vast majority of cases, it is only the final year that counts. But each programme has its own details, so you need to ask someone running the course.

Confusion can come into it if you are registered on a Level 8 'ab initio' course.....that means you've signed up for 4 years from the beginning, and in that case, Year 3 usually doesn't count for anything. However, Year 3 can count on a 4-year ab-initio course if you decide to pull out of the course after 3 years....you can then claim a level 7 degree (same as if you were registered on the 3-year course) and in that case your award will be classified by your Year 3 performance.

But, again, just ask one of your lecturers to make sure, as not all programme designs are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Protest the Zero

I think on all the business courses it's just your final year that counts toward the degree result. I found that a bit weird with my course, as it seemingly renders your previous years' performance a bit redundant (assuming you pass).

I guess some employers want your GPA throughout/transcripts - all that I've applied to only ask for the final result.

Still, I do recommend you check with the business office to confirm. They used to have an online PDF thing with this info, I can't find it now though.

Advertisement