Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season of mellow fruitfulness... jamming anyone?

Options
  • 17-08-2018 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I have plans and a freezer full of picked fruit.... Last autumn I was new to the island and had no electricity so all I could do was stand at the hedges and eat.... soon joined by a neighbour.

This year is different. YAY! The hedges here are wild and free and although the Scorch killed a lot of blossom etc I am awed at the huge blackberries...and rose hips! oh my!

Plans are simple. Opting for rose hip syrup; they are a superfood and that will help me in winter... blackberry syrup and jam...

I am sure you will be more inventive... I do not eat chutney or relishes so that limits me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well I am surprised... made my first batch of blackberry jam today. wonderful aroma and taste that will bring summer back in midwinter...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I only noticed the size of our blackberries this afternoon - they are huge! We also have a big apple crop coming too. I'll be making apple jelly definitely. Blackberry jam will depend on how many make it back to the pot.

I only noticed the size of our blackberries this afternoon - they are huge! We also have a big apple crop coming too. I'll be making apple jelly definitely. Blackberry jam will depend on how many make it back to the pot.

Blackberries here are patchy. depends which way they are facing and how much protection they had during the Scorch. Some hedges just got burned but where they had shade the size is amazing, I picked over half a kilo in half an hour y'day and plenty left just near the dwelling. Rose hips too in great abundance; they came back on a second flowering.
    will be jarring my first blackberry today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Massive harvest of redcurrants this year, as well as white currant. Most of them now in jars - quick look around and spotted approx 20 jars, 0.25 to 0.5 litre each. :D

Gooseberries, strawberries and wild strawberries all eaten on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs. Beer had become a dinger of a jelly maker.

So far this year:
    A mix of redcurrant, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Most of it became cordial but some made it into jelly, too.

Windfall apple and medlar.

• Advertisement

I was very surprised at how fast my jam set. Then I remembered that always before I have lived and jammed at high altitude and that we had realised that our jam was very slow to set because of this. scientific fact...

So now I am just a very few feet above sea level and it sets normally and is a better flavour and colour... second batch being prepared..

deep in preserves here.. a slow walk along any lane yields five pounds of big ripe blackberries.... My tiny kitchen is now a jam factory... Reminds me of my trading years when I was selling at least 200 jars a week.... switching to juice/cordial soon as there are still so many berries ...WHen they ripen depends on the direction they are facing for wind and sun.. rose hip syrup next and looking forward to a healthy winter..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Blackberries are a real super food, I have also been picking but using stevia to sweeten and chia seed to help thicken, love it, also putting some in blender and adding it to 7up free and some water, fab,

Another batch on now; this will go to make syrup to dilute and drink later... Rose hips are next; they really are a super food.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Joining up. I've a small crop of blackberries so will make a couple of pots of jam I think. I definitely want to grow more fruit next year. I did grow some strawberries but they didn't last long!

I like chutneys so will soon start on my 2 usual ones and this year I tried to grow a small crop of tomatoes so think I might try a small jar or two of green tomato chutney.

Then it's on to collecting the various ingredients for the Christmas cakes. I might attempt pudding this year too - depends on how organised I am though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was very surprised at how fast my jam set. Then I remembered that always before I have lived and jammed at high altitude and that we had realised that our jam was very slow to set because of this. scientific fact...

So now I am just a very few feet above sea level and it sets normally and is a better flavour and colour... second batch being prepared..

Did you live somewhere abroad? With very high mountains. In Ireland any difference in altitude would be negligible.

My wife has made some delicious plum jam and a spiced Chinese plum sauce. Great stuff.

Did you live somewhere abroad? With very high mountains. In Ireland any difference in altitude would be negligible.

My wife has made some delicious plum jam and a spiced Chinese plum sauce. Great stuff.

Actually the reverse is true. My colleagues when we were all here together, professional preservers o f long experience, could not when we were on a mountain, why jam would not set.
    We asked around and learned that even a few hundred feet makes that more than noticable difference. We were having to use commercial pectin ; this was a commercial situation

This year is the first time i have ever lived just above sea level and it took me a while to realise why suddenly jam was setting immediately. A better yield and colour too.

We are delighted of course. At my advanced age standing over a hot cooker is not as easy as it was.

The plums sound delicious.. Today I made blackberry cordial ... rose hip syrup next...and i have strawberries and nectarines in the freezer.. so revelling in it all. c

That's strange. When I was living in Switzerland a few of my pals made jams & preserves at altitude, & setting was never an issue. ???

That's strange. When I was living in Switzerland a few of my pals made jams & preserves at altitude, & setting was never an issue. ???

Probably they were used to it! Apart from that I have no answer! And yes, they would be used to how it was there. we were not.

Life has its small mysteries..

When it comes down to it, I trust my actual experience and that of the professionals I was working with, as opposed to anything else. I called them and they said straight away, ah you are at sea level now..

And what matters now is that I am delighted to be able to make jam so easily again. It proved to us that the issue had been the altitude. It was a delightful surprise. And has extended my jam making life as old age and increasing disability are challenging and lessening my cooking abilities at a terrifying speed. The first batch I made here I had to leave as |I was unable to stand any longer and when I came back it had set in the pan.

Very very happy here indeed!

Off to sort yet more jars for my winter vitamin fixes...the cordial is truly yummy..then out to pick more fruit..before the first frost.

Blessings and peace to all preservers.. over and out from me on this topic.

I'd imagine that it was more likely due to pectin levels in the fruit. I'm no expert, but would think that local soil type & climate would be more likely to influence this than a couple of hundred metres in altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have plans and a freezer full of picked fruit.... Last autumn I was new to the island and had no electricity so all I could do was stand at the hedges and eat.... soon joined by a neighbour.

This year is different. YAY! The hedges here are wild and free and although the Scorch killed a lot of blossom etc I am awed at the huge blackberries...and rose hips! oh my!

Plans are simple. Opting for rose hip syrup; they are a superfood and that will help me in winter... blackberry syrup and jam...

I am sure you will be more inventive... I do not eat chutney or relishes so that limits me...

When you say rosehips, are they the bulb / apple like formations on a rosebush?
    My roses have a lot of them this year, are they really edible?
    Or are you talking about something completely different!
    I'll take a pic and upload in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

ellejay wrote: »

Noooooooo!! Jaysus don't poison yourself :pac:
    Rosehips grow wild, as a child i used to rip them apart for the hairy seeds and throw them down my brothers shirts as itching powder.
    I might try rosehip oil this year, supposed to be very good for the skin.

rose-hip-943068_960_720-960x640.jpg

rosehip.jpg

thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We used to collect rosehips when we were kids to donate to some charity who made rosehip syrup for kids in Africa, or somewhere like that. We were given plastic bags to collect them in.

You used to be able to get rosehip syrup in chemists. Full of vitamins I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You used to be able to get rosehip syrup in chemists. Full of vitamins I believe.

Delrosa.
    Loved it as a smallie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Mrs. Beer had become a dinger of a jelly maker.

So far this year:
    A mix of redcurrant, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Most of it became cordial but some made it into jelly, too.

Windfall apple and medlar.

Sounds like a dinger all right

Rose hips are a super food BUT do not eat the seeds as they have hairs and are very irritant. Rose hip syrup is easy to make.

Well over 20 lbs jam now. It has been a fascinating time. After setting issues at 600 m asl previously, explained and affirmed by expert professionals for the last years, and we were making literally hundreds of jars for sale each month, the swift setting at sea level has made life easier. Better colour and better yield also .

Still picking when weather permits. Sharing the rose hips with eager blackbirds. They are so abundant there is plenty for all.. A wonderful first island year. Nature is awesome .

Out of jars now so freezing as much as I can and making syrup and juice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yesterday I picked all the remaining cherry tomatoes off my plants and have a huge bowl of ripe ones, but I ended up with 500g of green tomatoes which I turned into chutney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

tomato and apple chutney
    2yosu55.jpg

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yesterday I picked all the remaining cherry tomatoes off my plants and have a huge bowl of ripe ones, but I ended up with 500g of green tomatoes which I turned into chutney :)

Do you have a recipe for the chutney? I had one but don't know what I did with it...

I may just have about 500g or so on my plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Neyite wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for the chutney? I had one but don't know what I did with it...

Yes, would love this recipe please as I have tonnes of cherry tomatoes but they're all unripe and aren't going to ripen at this stage.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is the recipe I used, though I didn't have any green cardamom. I found it took half an hour longer simmering than the recipe recommended to reduce it enough.
    It tasted good going into the jars :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/906/green-tomato-chutney-recipe/

Edit!The recipe calls for two tablespoons of salt but I halved it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dizzyblonde!

That's my weekend sorted so.

Advertisement