Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

For comparison purposes, I got

Verbal - 73
    Numerical - 54
    Situational - 56

For overall score of 129

Puts me in between OOM 100-120

But I don't have either of the 3 counties so I may wait patiently to see if they call any up for my 2 chosen areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

My scores:

Verbal- 54
    Numerical- 56
    Situational- 27

Total: N/A- Out of Contention

Very disappointed with result and frustrated with this brutal culling exercise. Don't know what I can do to change outcome but best of luck to everyone remaining with Stage 2, the shortlisting and eventual interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

First competition but learned a fair bit, scored 105 so unlikely to get through

53 verbal
    52 Situational
    77 Numerical

Fairly disappointed they don't include numerical :) I'm placed 1650 or something so looks like I'm out for Dublin. Really disappointed with verbal but situational was one of those I didn't really have a clue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I rushed the situational as had to perform it in my office, totally sickened now as I scored relatively OK on verbal and numerical but fluffed the situational totally

Didn't make the cut on the situational, does anybody know if they ever publish the "right" answers? Like how are you supposed to improve if you've no idea how/where you went wrong?

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Fairly disappointed they don't include numerical :) I'm placed 1650 or something so looks like I'm out for Dublin. Really disappointed with verbal but situational was one of those I didn't really have a clue on.

Congrats, fair play. I scored 80/80 supervised and 75/80 unsupervised in the EO 2016 comp, I was freaked it wasn't taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

First competition but learned a fair bit, scored 105 so unlikely to get through

53 verbal
    52 Situational
    77 Numerical

Only out for the first batch. Based on what happened with 2016 competition, I would be very surprised if they don’t call a second or even a third batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Didn't qualify. I got above 60 in the numerical and verbal but got 30 in the situational judgement. I always find it difficult to determine what answers they want in this section, even in competitions I qualify for. Does anyone have any tips for improving in this section in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

Addle wrote: »
    Anyone that is surprised that the majority of opportunities from competitions are dublin centred at this stage doesn't deserve to be promoted, IMO.

Interesting attitude. Obviously given the demographics I'm not surprised the majority of opportunities would be in Dublin. My point was that if they were not going to call anyone from other areas, then maybe they should have confined the competition to the three areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Subutai wrote: »
    They will likely only use the forms, if at all, before interview stage (stage 3). Pointless having to have staff read long and complicated forms prior to the validation of stage 1 results and the e-tray (which has previously culled a high percentage of applicants).

Makes much more sense to only go through that work after/as part of Stage 2 once you've counted out anyone who didn't pass validation or etray.

Theyve explicitly said stage 2 is shortlisting based on forms.

Thats what theyre doing now, then probably retests & interview for subsequent stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Chieftain wrote: »
    Interesting attitude. Obviously given the demographics I'm not surprised the majority of opportunities would be in Dublin. My point was that if they were not going to call anyone from other areas, then maybe they should have confined the competition to the three areas.

No harm in having a preprepared panel for positions around the country. There may be numerous positions for early next year in different reasons. I'd say it's more cost effective to run a big panel than multiple small ones aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Results!

Verbal. 56
    Numerical 44
    Situational 42

Placed 858 on Interdepartmental
    Placed 1387 on the Open

Only put down Waterford and Kilkenny so may never see a follow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

No harm in having a preprepared panel for positions around the country. There may be numerous positions for early next year in different reasons. I'd say it's more cost effective to run a big panel than multiple small ones aswell

Absolutely, that's why I was surprised that they are confining the shortlisting to the three counties mentioned. I'm sure they will have a look at the other regions in due course, but by concentrating on the 3 counties for now, then the existing regional panels will long since have expired by the time a new one is in place.

I didn't appreciate the other poster saying I didn't deserve to be promoted. It was a valid point to raise and there was no need for a response like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Didn't do well at all, especially situational which I'm surprised at

Best of luck to rest of ye

It's not unusual for PAS to deal with Dublin applicant's as a first stream and everyone else almost immediately afterwards. I wouldn't read too much into it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

unless Im picking it up wrong the shortlisting on based on the application form for stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

It's not unusual for PAS to deal with Dublin applicant's as a first stream and everyone else almost immediately afterwards. I wouldn't read too much into it right now.

Obviously it's all up to chance but any idea when a second/third batch for Dublin would be called? Not 100% sure about timing and how long it would last for them to go through a batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭alentejo

I failed the Situational. I have no idea what they are looking for. I thought I would fly that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Theyve explicitly said stage 2 is shortlisting based on forms.

Thats what theyre doing now, then probably retests & interview for subsequent stages.

Having read it back, you're dead right. I was too focused on the score to take in much else...

Will be interesting to see how long that takes and how it goes for people.

The message on public jobs says:

It is intended to shortlist based on the information contained on the application forms of those candidates who achieved a total score of 114 or higher and who have selected Dublin, Kildare or Meath for Assistant Principal to Stage 2 Shortlisting

They are shortlisting first.

• Advertisement

never_mind wrote: »
    Obviously it's all up to chance but any idea when a second/third batch for Dublin would be called? Not 100% sure about timing and how long it would last for them to go through a batch.

Digging through the 2016 thread would give an idea. Probably a year or a bit more but thats without digging.

Edit - I dug, it was almost exactly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

The message on public jobs says:

They are shortlisting first.

thanks.. that's what my understanding of it was. Don't see them re-doing the test phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kilometres na gcopaleen

Does anybody know why maths isn't taken into account for ranking purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Do all those who scored over 114 and have Dublin/Meath/Kildare down go forward to the next stage in the first instance? Does the order of merit have any bearing on things once those two criteria are met? Presumably there will be a parallel process for those outside the three counties mentioned.

The role of the form and timing of its assessment seems to be in dispute.

I am a serving Civil Servant and have read the competition documentation but find this process impenetrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

thanks.. that's what my understanding of it was. Don't see them re-doing the test phase.

You'd presume they'll have to re-do it for verification purposes - otherwise you're removing the incentive not to cheat on the online testing phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Subutai wrote: »
    You'd presume they'll have to re-do it for verification purposes - otherwise you're removing the incentive not to cheat on the online testing phase.

agreed, they would have to re do the tests to verify. But my understanding of it is that shortlisting takes place first and then maybe verification tests ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

Does anybody know why maths isn't taken into account for ranking purposes?

I should have paid attention to the threads from the past and just should have gotten a pass for math. I spent way more time practising math over verbal. Being from private industry all my life, this is all new to me :) The situational, I went with gut feeling and common sense since I have never worked in public sector before, and pleased with the results there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hellothere123

Hi everyone,

I just got this back from PAS

While you have reached the qualifying standard, it is intended to shortlist those candidates who achieved a total score of 114 or higher and who have selected Dublin, Kildare or Meath for Assistant Principal to Stage 2 - Shortlisting. This campaign will remain open until October 2020 and while we will be calling candidates forward who have selected other locations and scored below 114, it is not possible to give definite details or timeframes at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I should have paid attention to the threads from the past and just should have gotten a pass for math. I spent way more time practising math over verbal. Being from private industry all my life, this is all new to me :) The situational, I went with gut feeling and common sense since I have never worked in public sector before, and pleased with the results there.
    I did the same tbh, did all my practice on the Math as well.
    The situational seems to be just do the most sensible thing really.

I am an existing civil servant but first time I applied for AP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 *Gaijin*

My interpretation.

Those who scored 114+ and have selected Dublin/Meath/Kildare will now be shortlisted based on info supplied on the application.

PAS will discard those who do not have or demonstrate relevant experience/competencies.

Those that remain will be called for verification/etray. After that, those that remain will be called to interview/presentation. There will be a final order of merit established based on interview/presentation/etray scores and that will be Batch 1 panel for Dublin/Kildare/Meath.

Rinse and repeat for a batch 2 with lower score than 114 at a later stage. Same goes for regionals.

Advertisement