Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

*Gaijin* wrote: »
    My interpretation.

Those who scored 114+ and have selected Dublin/Meath/Kildare will now be shortlisted based on info supplied on the application.

PAS will discard those who do not have or demonstrate relevant experience/competencies.

Those that remain will be called for verification/etray. After that, those that remain will be called to interview/presentation. There will be a final order of merit established based on interview/presentation/etray scores and that will be Batch 1 panel for Dublin/Kildare/Meath.

Rinse and repeat for a batch 2 with lower score than 114 at a later stage. Same goes for regionals.

yeah I think that sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My interpretation.

Those who scored 114+ and have selected Dublin/Meath/Kildare will now be shortlisted based on info supplied on the application.

PAS will discard those who do not have or demonstrate relevant experience/competencies.

Those that remain will be called for verification/etray. After that, those that remain will be called to interview/presentation. There will be a final order of merit established based on interview/presentation/etray scores and that will be Batch 1 panel for Dublin/Kildare/Meath.

Rinse and repeat for a batch 2 with lower score than 114 at a later stage. Same goes for regionals.

That would be mine too.

The subsequent call for stage 2 took almost exactly a year for batch 2/dublin last time.

(Just looked at the 2016 thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

YoungHope wrote: »
    hi everyone, new here. I scored 130, on the order of merit at 109. I don't think ill get it anyway as I am really young (relatively speaking, as I was looking at the age breakdown of the senior civil service and something like 2% under 30!). will only turn 27 in December, but I have a lot of project management experience from the private sector. I only got EO last year and decided to give it a shot on advice from someone, but I am on the verge of leaving because the work isn't challenging me at all compared to what I was used to. so that also has given me a place on the internal batch order of merit of 75. I just wish I wasn't so young as feel itl go against me in the end.

You shouldn't worry about your age, its all about experience and how you display it at the interview and relate it to the competencies. I have met AP's who are your age so best of luck with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

My interpretation.

Any thoughts on have much they will go under the 114 score for the next batch? What way did the 2016 one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

A lot will have put a regional location with one of the 3 that are being brought forward. In the event stage 2 for the region's being called at a later stage how will they decide the final order of merit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 *Gaijin*

Yeah. Pace might be different this time though. Several things to factor in: commonalities of those on Open and InterD; how many inexperienced people will be discarded. How many fail etray. On the other hand, there won't be a load of regular refusals by those who were successful but are waiting for a regional vacancy. Hence the reasoning for a targeted specific Dublin centric stream. (That used to move things along in previous years).
    That would be mine too.

The subsequent call for stage 2 took almost exactly a year for batch 2/dublin last time.

(Just looked at the 2016 thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 *Gaijin*

No idea.
    dar100 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on have much they will go under the 114 score for the next batch? What way did the 2016 one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

My interpretation.

Don't think there is usually a presentation for AP, I think the etray kind of covers that (not a presentation, but going through supplementary material and making a summary and recommendation etc. (in briefing/report format)).

They seem to be up around 1400 oom now having called 1000 in the first batch.

As Gaijin says, every comp is different and itll totally depend on the quality of candidates and the number of positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

No joy either - not too disappointed as my heart was just not in it at all.

V47
    N35
    S34

They way I look at it now is it was a learning exercise so I know what to expect going forward.

Congrats to all and best of luck at the next stage and interviews.

Commiseration to those that didn't pass, but there will be other competitions.

Onwards and upwards.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sorcha01

Hi all,

This is my first time to take AP so trying to figure things out! The thread is really helpful ðŸ˜႒

The below may be silly but the way these things are written is so open to interpretation as you all know.

I scored 114, came 890s in the order of merit.

After a few reads of the PAS message I got that my application continues for review to potentially be shortlisted for Stage 2.

What I'm wondering is, does my OOM position impact anything now forwards?

Have I survived the first 'batching' in theory or am I still up to be excluded from proceeding to Stage 2 because of my place on OOM? Or is it solely on the review of the applications?

In my head I'm wondering if they will review up to 400 say and then call that batch 1?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Sorcha01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is my first time to take AP so trying to figure things out! The thread is really helpful ðŸ˜႒

The below may be silly but the way these things are written is so open to interpretation as you all know.

I scored 114, came 890s in the order of merit.

After a few reads of the PAS message I got that my application continues for review to potentially be shortlisted for Stage 2.

What I'm wondering is, does my OOM position impact anything now forwards?

Have I survived the first 'batching' in theory or am I still up to be excluded from proceeding to Stage 2 because of my place on OOM? Or is it solely on the review of the applications?

In my head I'm wondering if they will review up to 400 say and then call that batch 1?

Thanks!

For all previous comps once you make it through everyone is reset to zero as such.

I have no idea if PAS will do this for this competition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Hi Sorcha, if you have selected Dublin Meath or Kildare and scored over 114 it appears that all those with that criteria are through to Stage 2.

In last competitions, the clock resets once you get to Stage 2 so it is all to play for once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Another mail there to say stage 2 for all other locations kicking off early 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Casarina1

Just got new message from PAS.

Further to recent communication for the above campaign please note that Stage 2 of the selection process for other locations will commence in early 2019. This campaign will remain open until October 2020.

They must have been inundated with queries 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Casarina1 wrote: »
    Just got new message from PAS.

Further to recent communication for the above campaign please note that Stage 2 of the selection process for other locations will commence in early 2019. This campaign will remain open until October 2020.

They must have been inundated with queries 😂.

Yep got that as well, they were silly to send out the original without that extra paragraph! Would have saved lots of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Does anybody know why maths isn't taken into account for ranking purposes?

Presumably because it would make no sense. You absolutely need to have good verbal and situational jusdgement skills as an APO, but the kind of maths they were getting us to do in the test would either be done by someone of a lower grade, or you'd have all of the data in Excel and would get the "answer" you needed in seconds with a quick formula.

(Unless you were a former APO of mine, who used to tot up their Excel columns with a calculator, because reasons...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Presumably because it would make no sense. You absolutely need to have good verbal and situational jusdgement skills as an APO, but the kind of maths they were getting us to do in the test would either be done by someone of a lower grade, or you'd have all of the data in Excel and would get the "answer" you needed in seconds with a quick formula.

(Unless you were a former APO of mine, who used to tot up their Excel columns with a calculator, because reasons...)

Its actually a gender balance measure- as traditionally the perception was that women were not as likely to have done honours Maths and/or University level Math subjects- than were male candidates.

Its the same across the board- for all grades- you pass Maths- and the score is discarded- and its only marked on verbal and work skills/situational tests (with the sole exception of the IT competitions that come up periodically- where it is counted).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

(Unless you were a former APO of mine, who used to tot up his Excel columns with a calculator, because reasons...)

No that's not the reason. Numerical reasoning isn't just ones ability to add numbers, it's the understanding of and ability to correctly interpret the presented data. That's an important ability for all grades, especially senior management.

Plus PAS don't count the numerical score for any competition, no matter the grade. The reason for this is gender equality. PAS stated they considered changing this as the majority of civil servants are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Casarina1 wrote: »
    They must have been inundated with queries ��.

In fairness, there is an objective lack of clarity around how this is meant to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 s123maguire

Ok so I’m through to the next round, this is my first time applying to the civil service. What is the etray? How can I prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Mis read- never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MeeTee

Confused about the region thing: so if you put down 1. Cork and 2. Dublin and scored above the cut-off point, will you go through to Stage 2 now with Dublin/ Kildare/ Meath or when the 'region' stage 2 opens in early 2019? PAS not answering yet...

MeeTee wrote: »
    Confused about the region thing: so if you put down 1. Cork and 2. Dublin and scored above the cut-off point, will you go through to Stage 2 now with Dublin/ Kildare/ Meath or when the 'region' stage 2 opens in early 2019? PAS not answering yet...

Yes.
    Your scores/interview or whatever they use to rank people will be used to rank you for the Dublin panel.

Then in January when the rest of the Cork cohort are shortlisted/ranked/interviewed you'll be ranked with them on a Cork specific order of merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

MeeTee wrote: »

You may be faced with a decision to take a Dublin post (if you get through all stages) or let that go in the hope your position on the regional panel is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mockscraic

The Irish stream results perked me up a bit...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

mockscraic wrote: »
    The Irish stream results perked me up a bit...:D

I got 92 in order of merit... níl tuairim agam! I still don’t make the cut..?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭res1

duffman13 wrote: »
    First competition but learned a fair bit, scored 105 so unlikely to get through

53 verbal
    52 Situational
    77 Numerical

Fairly disappointed they don't include numerical :) I'm placed 1650 or something so looks like I'm out for Dublin. Really disappointed with verbal but situational was one of those I didn't really have a clue on.

Hi I scored 110 and Im oom 1751 just wondering how that can be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 audiz1

Hi, I got 273 on the Interdepartmental - anyone know how quickly we will be called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Jerry the Beard

Someone here in one of the posts has apparently been given the exact same number as me on the order of merit. I wonder how that is possible? We got the same score granted so maybe that's why. I suppose it doesn't really matter

Advertisement