Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Someone here in one of the posts has apparently been given the exact same number as me on the order of merit. I wonder how that is possible? We got the same score granted so maybe that's why. I suppose it doesn't really matter
    People with the same score should have the same placing?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Its actually a gender balance measure- as traditionally the perception was that women were not as likely to have done honours Maths and/or University level Math subjects- than were male candidates.

Its the same across the board- for all grades- you pass Maths- and the score is discarded- and its only marked on verbal and work skills/situational tests (with the sole exception of the IT competitions that come up periodically- where it is counted).

Are you saying that CS has never used the numerical score apart from needing to reach the qualifying score? ( And maths based roles) What's the thing about the gender/sex? Is the presumption that men are better at numerical and women at verbal? Surely if that is the presumption then they'd be trying to get more men and thus use numerical? Or do they just accept it's mostly women applying and just tailor the tests to any sex-related strengths?

The PAS numerical tests don't require honours maths level. In my view they'd mostly suit someone recently out of school. For me, it's the kind of maths I haven't really used in years and years ( I've never worked with figures really apart from managing overall budgets) but the kind of thing a secondary student would find easy.
    It's basically arithmetic or sums under time pressure. Sixth class level maybe?
    I had to swot up on it coz I'm old and my brain is way out of practice with sums and formulae!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

res1 wrote: »
    Hi I scored 110 and Im oom 1751 just wondering how that can be?

?! Mine is 107 and OOM 1493 as I mentioned earlier.

Damn - got 113 and they're calling everyone with 114 or higher to Stage 2..........
    If only I'd answered one more question correctly........
    Damn, damn, damn........
    Also- got 66 in the numerical, and its not even counted :(
    Bah humbug.

Ah hard luck! That's a pity. You've been so helpful throughout.

never_mind wrote: »
    I got 92 in order of merit... níl tuairim agam! I still don’t make the cut..?

I got 25 on OOM Gaeilge. Caithfidh mé go leor cleachtadh a dhéanamh!! I barely understood the message!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Joem123556

Made the 120’s open which is a massive shock to me. I have finally mastered the assessment questionnaire after years of messing it up!! Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

res1 wrote: »
    Hi I scored 110 and Im oom 1751 just wondering how that can be?

Are you sure cause I'm definitely in the 1600s and scored 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭res1

duffman13 wrote: »
    Are you sure cause I'm definitely in the 1600s and scored 105.
    Apologies just checked again...my head melted from this sorry I got 104 !! (surprising I passed numerical :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Its the same across the board- for all grades- you pass Maths- and the score is discarded- and its only marked on verbal and work skills/situational tests (with the sole exception of the IT competitions that come up periodically- where it is counted).

As a former programmer I'm at a loss to know why you'd need the kind of addition-subtraction/ratios/percentages maths they tested us on, but hey, it's PAS... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 youngbird

Anyone think it's funny that a score of 104 gives an OOM of 1751 and a score of 105 gives an OOM of 1650.

107 gives an OOM of 1493 and 102 an OOM of 1941. (Taken from previous thread posts)

I also got a score of 104 and my OOM is 1751 too as with a previous poster.

Perhaps some esoteric ranking process at play? My curiosity is certainly piqued!

• Advertisement

youngbird wrote: »
    Anyone think it's funny that a score of 104 gives an OOM of 1751 and a score of 105 gives an OOM of 1650.

107 gives an OOM of 1493 and 102 an OOM of 1941. (Taken from previous thread posts)

I also got a score of 104 and my OOM is 1751 too as with a previous poster.

Perhaps some esoteric ranking process at play? My curiosity is certainly piqued!

Basically 100 people scored 105 so were all ranked at 1650 and those with scores 104 ranked at 1751. No hidden ranking methods

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Sorcha01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is my first time to take AP so trying to figure things out! The thread is really helpful ðŸ˜႒

The below may be silly but the way these things are written is so open to interpretation as you all know.

I scored 114, came 890s in the order of merit.

After a few reads of the PAS message I got that my application continues for review to potentially be shortlisted for Stage 2.

What I'm wondering is, does my OOM position impact anything now forwards?

Have I survived the first 'batching' in theory or am I still up to be excluded from proceeding to Stage 2 because of my place on OOM? Or is it solely on the review of the applications?

In my head I'm wondering if they will review up to 400 say and then call that batch 1?

Thanks!

Very useful to know that 114 = 890s OOM (thanks Sorcha01) for those of us hoping to get called to Stage 2 in a later batch. Does anyone know the Inter-D equivalent for 114? I guess it's somewhere around the 500 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Very useful to know that 114 = 890s OOM (thanks Sorcha01) for those of us hoping to get called to Stage 2 in a later batch. Does anyone know the Inter-D equivalent for 114? I guess it's somewhere around the 500 mark?

I've 115. OOM is 816 Open and 516 Inter-D.

So I'd say 114 on Inter D is around 590s?

Basically 100 people scored 105 so were all ranked at 1650 and those with scores 104 ranked at 1751. No hidden ranking methods

You misquote me - I suggested an esoteric process, not hidden. ;)

That seems to be quite a crude approach to ranking, but I suppose it is just stage 1.

youngbird wrote: »
    You misquote me - I suggested an esoteric process, not hidden. ;)

That seems to be quite a crude approach to ranking, but I suppose it is just stage 1.

Now I see how I fell down on verbal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Delighted to be honest that they are bringing in an early short listing of application forms:

(i) recognition of the amount of effort and work people put into this 10, 15, 20 page document, and
    (ii) a reasonably sufficient barometer of experience of candidates allowing PAS to filter out (at an early stage) excellent Verbal/Numerical/Etray types with zero real-time management experience who would, in the absence of adjudication on their experience at this early stage, advance quite far in the competition until interview stage where they would most likely fall at the leadership competency

(nothing against the above types but in fairness this is a Senior Management position which requires, imo, significant experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

I missed out making the cut by 4 points, and I fell down badly on the Situational Judgement imo. Disappointed but not entirely unexpected. Was probably my last chance to make this grade.

Congratulations and best of luck to everyone who got through and commiserations to those who didn't.

Now I see how I fell down on verbal :)

I wouldn't worry about it. I consider myself as having excellent verbal skills (compared to my peers) and only scored 53.

FWIW I am in a role at a similar level to AP - I participated with the intention of getting into the general CS - more promotion opportunities. Add to that I'm a sucker for punishment.

If the high score is truly an indicator of the calibre of the candidates then I have great hopes for the future of the country and CS. In reality, my experience with some currently at AP level in the CS is best left unsaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

SFC1895 wrote: »
    I missed out making the cut by 4 points, and I fell down badly on the Situational Judgement imo. Disappointed but not entirely unexpected. Was probably my last chance to make this grade.

Congratulations and best of luck to everyone who got through and commiserations to those who didn't.

Would be amazed if you don’t get called into a second batch next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

For anyone with specific (Statistics) qualifications, this AP level post has just been advertised:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=100073

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 norahcam

Sfc1895 you may have missed this cut but there will be alot weeded out in shortlisting. I didn't do as well as I thought on situational although I have feedback from staff and manager that my interpersonal and leadership skills are strong. So hopefully the bar will drop a bit and will get chance to demonstrate this at interview. I reckonanyone over 100 should be in with an even chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MeeTee

For anyone (like me) who put a region first & Dublin second in their choices, here's clarification from PAS on whether you can go through to Stage 2 in this Dublin/ Kildare/ Meath round:

'At present only the first choice regions, mentioned in the previous email will be shortlisted at this time.'

Kicking myself so much!! So what's the deal with the second choice regions? Do they not count?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

MeeTee wrote: »
    For anyone (like me) who put a region first & Dublin second in their choices, here's clarification from PAS on whether you can go through to Stage 2 in this Dublin/ Kildare/ Meath round:

'At present only the first choice regions, mentioned in the previous email will be shortlisted at this time.'

Kicking myself so much!! So what's the deal with the second choice regions? Do they not count?!!

It’s unusual for them to attach a weight to the first/second choice locations, it’s not how they operated in previous competitions, from my experience. Dublin as first or second choice wouldn’t matter, but perhaps that has changed for this competition

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Enova

There has been nothing in their communication to date to suggest that an applicant had to have Dublin as no.1 for them to be called to the second stage. As you say ParkRunner, they have not operated other competitions this way before. I think it would be very unfair to start now, especially as applicants were not informed of this two tier approach before selecting their regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

114 on the InterD is 563.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Loudboy

133 will give you...
    44 on OOM in Open Comp
    31 on InterD

"Stage 2 of the selection process for other locations will commence in early 2019. This campaign will remain open until October 2020."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Probably just too many people stuck on provincial panels after interviewing for dublin posts and turning them down in other competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Enova

MeeTee, just an update - I spoke to PAS and they advised that all who reached the minimum score of 114 and have selected Dublin, Kildare and/or Meath will be invited to Stage 2 supervised testing. It is hoped the supervised testing will take place in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Enova wrote: »
    MeeTee, just an update - I spoke to PAS and they advised that all who reached the minimum score of 114 and have selected Dublin, Kildare and/or Meath will be invited to Stage 2 supervised testing. It is hoped the supervised testing will take place in November.

So no shortlisting in advance???

Does that not go against information in yesterday’s email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Supervised testing would be stage 3 I imagine, for those who get through the shortlisting process

Advertisement