Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

Sure, anyone can do the tests, but I think it's a bit much to suggest that the general calibre of applicants was poor; much less that DPER would say such a thing.

Those APs are, by and large, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

SJ. wrote: »
    Sure, anyone can do the tests, but I think it's a bit much to suggest that the general calibre of applicants was poor; much less that DPER would say such a thing.

Those APs are, by and large, excellent.

Thankfully they’re delighted with very recent PO appointments!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Didn't make the cut on the shortlisting, that's disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Stage 2 shortlisting results are just out.

Supervised testing scheduled to commence on 19 Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TrooperJones

133 points, so 44 on the Open and 31 on the InterD, and just got an email saying I'm through the shortlisting.

Supervised tests on the 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I thought anyone who got over the 114 would be shortlisted?.....better go check!

EDIT
    Yeah so I have do the supervised test as well, have people been eliminated based on their CV?

We will be in touch with your shortly regarding the next stage of the competition (supervised testing) which is scheduled to commence 19th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

griffdaddy wrote: »

Same. I’m really disappointed. Made it to interview last time. Not even sufficient to get to stage 2 this time. That’s with a better performance in the exams and more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

out of curiosity do they give a reason why ye didn't make the shortlist. waiting on them to do the regional areas myself

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Monkey5

gmisk wrote: »
    have people been eliminated based on their CV?

Yes, for insufficient management experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Squeaky bum time.... No email yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Squeaky bum time.... No email yet.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TrooperJones

Monkey5 wrote: »
    Yes, for insufficient management experience.

Did it say that, or are you guessing?

I don't really have any management experience, but I have a lot of policy experience and I made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Monkey5

I don't really have any management experience, but I have a lot of policy experience and I made it through.

They said it, strictly speaking it's "management and leadership". I do have some but may have undersold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Also was cut out. Intend to appeal it. Anyone know if there's a formalised process?

Edit: I've looked into it. There is. https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/review-process

Note that the deadlines are very tight (two days).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Indeed.

Are you having the same experience? ;-)

Just got my email. Got through. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would be similar, I am HEO but dont have staff reporting to me.
    I do manage projects and lead teams on those though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Are you having the same experience? ;-)

Just got my email. Got through. Phew.

Yep, just got mine there and am through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Also was cut out. Intend to appeal it. Anyone know if there's a formalised process?

There is, you'll find the appeal process on the PAS website. Short time-limit on it, so don't delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

Here is the Appeal procedures.. very short timeframes really.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/review-process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I got the same-lack of management experience. Oddly enough I work in senior management in a college and have roughly 45 staff, so perhaps undersold myself.

Ah well.

• Advertisement

Have sent a request for informal review (in the first case). We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

RiseToMe wrote: »
    I got the same-lack of management experience. Oddly enough I work in senior management in a college and have roughly 45 staff, so perhaps undersold myself.

Ah well.

Appeal the decision.

What is the contact email address for this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

From PAS's 2017 annual report. Shortlisting attracts a lot of appeals, but few appeals in general, are successful.

Whether informal review encompasses the definition of appeal used here is unclear.

Subutai wrote: »
    From PAS's 2017 annual report. Shortlisting attracts a lot of appeals, but few appeals in general, are successful.

Whether informal review encompasses the definition of appeal used here is unclear.

About 4% upheld (3/68) at shortlisting stage. Worth trying, I guess.

Just feel very beaten down. Three APs looked at my form and told me I had a great chance, and I've see the forms two of them used to get promoted. Mine was frankly better than at least one of those, and he admitted it.

I managed my AP's role for 6 months when she left and wasn't replaced. I coordinate a bunch of projects with loads of stakeholders at EU and UNESCO level, and am in sole charge of a national project.

If I can't even get an interview, is there any point even trying to advance? It's not like I'm ever gonna get to manage staff as an AO in this Department anyway, and it's so much fun being treated as lesser than the HEOs and paid far less.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Just feel very beaten down. Three APs looked at my form and told me I had a great chance, and I've see the forms two of them used to get promoted. Mine was frankly better than at least one of those, and he admitted it.

I managed my AP's role for 6 months when she left and wasn't replaced. I coordinate a bunch of projects with loads of stakeholders at EU and UNESCO level, and am in sole charge of a national project.

If I can't even get an interview, is there any point even trying to advance? It's not like I'm ever gonna get to manage staff as an AO in this Department anyway, and it's so much fun being treated as lesser than the HEOs and paid far less.

/rant

Right there with you, I had two POs look at my form and tell me where it flesh it out and where to cut it back and discussed career to date with me at length highlighting areas I should cover or pointing out where I overlooked a really good example. Both of them were extremely confident on the strength of my form and both are confused as to why I have been pulled.

Contemplating an appeal but the chances of overturn are so slim and then it's just straight into more tests anyway.

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Contemplating an appeal but the chances of overturn are so slim and then it's just straight into more tests anyway.

I say **** it, send 'em an email anyway. Can't make the situation worse for you.

By the way, in the midst of my moaning: genuine congrats and good wishes to the folk who got through! I don't want to come across as a begrudger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

/rant

I wonder if decisions overturned "informally" would make it into PAS's annual report. I doubt it.

For those unsuccessful it's absolutely worth a try. There was also significant upset regarding the use of shortlisting at the HEO competition. When panels are so long, and the assessment criteria used fairly vague, people will understandably feel hard done by if they don't think their experience was given a fair hearing.

I know there are a few managers here who are very surprised that their staff did not make the cut, having looked over their forms with an eye on the AP competency framework.

Advertisement