Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

googleted wrote: »
    Same here. Found the response to informal review to be very vague and pretty much pro forma. Provided no further detail on my why I was not shortlisted, just that the decision was being affirmed. Not much help to me in attempting to address areas where I apparently lack sufficient experience.

Aye very much a generic copy and paste to all message. I'll proceed with the formal and if unsuccessful at that I'll make FOI request so at least I can see if the shote note on the decision that the panel writes on the front provides any clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The candidate information booklet provides for a feedback process separate to the review process. It might be worth exploring that avenue in parallel.

The candidate information booklet provides for a feedback process separate to the review process. It might be worth exploring that avenue in parallel.

Tried that already, was advised the extent of the feedback they give was what was already recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Aye very much a generic copy and paste to all message. I'll proceed with the formal and if unsuccessful at that I'll make FOI request so at least I can see if the shote note on the decision that the panel writes on the front provides any clarity.

Are PAS now under the FOI Acts?

I know they didn’t used to be.

Are PAS now under the FOI Acts?

I know they didn’t used to be.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/foi/326-information-about-the-public-appointments-service

Yes, FOI process outlined here. Could similarly make a GDPR request for any information on your file, presuming they will omit any kind of scoring mechemism etc. But may enable a view of the short note /summary provided by the short listing board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bushcraft90

They haven't got a formal marking scheme for the screening process they have stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Easton Assassin

I see by the responses here that others are disappointed with their informal reviews, decision reaffirmed due to the process is what I received. I am in the same boat as others as it looks my response is pretty generic and they didn’t seem to even consider the informal review document that I submitted, pretty disappointed by the whole process to be honest.

I am going down the formal route so I will see how it goes. If anyone has past experience of a formal review working post an informal review could they please share? I need some bit of hope!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

They haven't got a formal marking scheme for the screening process they have stated.

It seems they basically go 'Meh don't like' or 'Yep I like'. 100% qualitative and luck of the draw who reads your application and what sort of a candidate came before you. A super duper one probably means they cast the next one aside. A poor one probably means the next one that's only average gets chosen!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭redarse

Anyone interview for the Wexford Post? How did they find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

rcard wrote: »
    Notice up about the testing now.

Says: "I am also enclosing details of the e-tray sample exercise which you may access in order to prepare for the actual Assistant Principal e-tray assessment. This will enable you to become familiar with the e-Tray exercise and with some of the background materials for the exercise. Please do not be alarmed on the test day as it can be assumed that the actual etray exercise will be more difficult"

I am alarmed. At the syntax in this sentence.
    The actual assessment looks quite intimidating tbh......not done one of these before, I am glad I booked the day off so I can have a read over on the morning before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Can anyone confirm if the supervised verbal and numerical reasoning tests are the same ones that the candidate took at Stage 1?

I ask as in the competition for my current role I was given the exact same tests to repeat on the supervised assessment day. I am not sure if this is an established precedent.

I am happy to withdraw this question if people feel it goes against the spirit of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the supervised verbal and numerical reasoning tests are the same ones that the candidate took at Stage 1?

I ask as in the competition for my current role I was given the exact same tests to repeat on the supervised assessment day. I am not sure if this is an established precedent.

I am happy to withdraw this question if people feel it goes against the spirit of the competition.

In previous competitions they have been the same ones, IIRC. Note that these tests seem to have a bank of questions and you get a random set of questions from the bank, so not all of the questions will be the same. Others might be able to confirm my recollection.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Hi, any tips/feedback on Stage 3 from those who have sat them so far this week? Thanks :)

APcomp wrote: »
    Hi, any tips/feedback on Stage 3 from those who have sat them so far this week? Thanks :)
    I am going tomorrow dreading it would love same!
    Even an estimation of how long it all takes would be good....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TrooperJones

gmisk wrote: »

It took about 4.5 hours total, including the instructions etc. They give you a short break before the e-tray.

I finished the numerical a good while before other people, and was able to see that people got different questions to me, or had the same ones at different points, so your tests will likely be (at least in part) different to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

we were there from 8 and didn't get out until 1 with a 10 minute break inbetween. I would suggest having a piece of fruit or something on your desk as I was starving !

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Is there any need to attend the tests in smart clothes or will casual be okay? It will be my 1st time going for tests at PAS.

The booklet says "Dress comfortably and appropriately". As there is no interview is casual appropriate?

If it makes no difference I would rather wear casual clothes as I am attending an event afterward it would be better to be dressed casually at. If needs be I can bring a set of clothes to get changed into.

Any insights from people who have attended in the past days would be welcome.

PCX wrote: »
    Is there any need to attend the tests in smart clothes or will casual be okay? It will be my 1st time going for tests at PAS.

The booklet says "Dress comfortably and appropriately". As there is no interview is casual appropriate?

If it makes no difference I would rather wear casual clothes as I am attending an event afterward it would be better to be dressed casually at. If needs be I can bring a set of clothes to get changed into.

No need to dress smart. No interviews or anything.

You'll be sitting down a lot, so dress comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭KaneToad

PCX wrote: »

I asked my mate, they were there during the week. Jeans & t-shirt was the reply.

I did the etray exercise. It's interesting, I spent a lot of time waiting for emails I must admit.

I forgot how bad I am at the numerical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

Anyone know what exactly they want you to bring when they say '1. A print out of your invitation to attend Stage 3 test session.'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

chrismean wrote: »
    Anyone know what exactly they want you to bring when they say '1. A print out of your invitation to attend Stage 3 test session.'?

Copy and paste your message from the message board on publicjobs.ie detailing the session you've been allocated- into a word document- and print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

I did the etray exercise. It's interesting, I spent a lot of time waiting for emails I must admit.

I forgot how bad I am at the numerical!

I'm awful at numerical too. Did the tests this morning and felt I did well at everything else. If I somehow managed to scrape through the numerical I think I'll do quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Don't forget a passport photo like I did.

Might as well begin the inevitable speculation as to when results will be out. Did anyone enquire last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Might as well begin the inevitable speculation as to when results will be out. Did anyone enquire last week?

didn't enquire but its usually about 2-3 weeks

It took them a week to do the shortlisting for stage 2, and that involved more people, so we may see a response on Friday.

Or if they go through the e-tray in more detail it might take another week.

It's PAS, who knows what will happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i would assume the etray has to have someone actually mark it unlike the others where the computer can decide??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Megidje

Gone eerily quiet here!

• Advertisement

We are in the eye of the storm.

Advertisement