Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭caviardreams

dan_dublin wrote: »
    Exactly. The Open AP before last gave me 18 days notice. If PAS give results on Friday as usual, some people will be getting 2 working days notice. At Christmas.

I actually think this could very well receive union attention. Departments have commitments to support their staff in their careers, including interview preparation.

No Department is going to be in a position to adhere to these commitments and provide 2 PO's to do mock interviews with almost no notice. Staff who get January interviews will receive support that won't be able to be provided to this interviewing next week.

Then there are the areas around work life balance and mental health, under which departments have responsibilities held by the HR sections. Life changing interviews. With almost no notice. In Christmas. With your result coming after Christmas. So you can worry yourself sick during the mood popular time for suicide in a country with a serious suicide problem. Is this really best practice from the PAS?

That's twenty pounds of stress in a one pound bag. And it creates an uneven playing field compared to the next interviewees.

I think this is a little over the top. Interviews are voluntary at the end of the day and if you don't feel like you can handle it, just drop out? They are not compulsory.

I think a week is plenty of notice for anyone in Dublin/most parts of Ireland. Most jobs would have similar or even less. However, for anyone abroad it is poor notice imo. Could they facilitate skype interviews in such contexts I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Addle wrote: »
    If it was a private employer, would you complain about the notice?

Yes. I'd be asking to reschedule if the timing didnt suit. Most companies would facilitate too, especially as the levels go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Enova wrote: »
    Do you think Housing had hoped to be drawing from its panel long before now?

Yup, had meant to be in place in September I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭redarse

Strange that Dept of Housing were allowed set up their own Open Competition when it appears that this panel will be in from the start of January.

The Housing panel still hasn’t been set up.

The Housing Panel was issued last week. 13 successful candidates were placed.

redarse wrote: »
    The Housing Panel was issued last week. 13 successful candidates were placed.

Did it come out on Friday? I missed it if it did.

• Advertisement

Did it come out on Friday? I missed it if it did.

Ya, 29 interviewed and 13 placed on panel. No indication of timelines or numbers of vacancies etc. though. It would be interesting to see how much of the panel will be picked up.

redarse wrote: »
    Ya, 29 interviewed and 13 placed on panel. No indication of timelines or numbers of vacancies etc. though. It would be interesting to see how much of the panel will be picked up.

Thanks for that.

13 on panel suggests a few posts.

You know if many internal people were successful?

Thanks for that.

13 on panel suggests a few posts.

You know if many internal people were successful?

I don't know, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

Yes. I'd be asking to reschedule if the timing didnt suit. Most companies would facilitate too, especially as the levels go higher.

And private companies typically cover travel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

I think this is a little over the top. Interviews are voluntary at the end of the day and if you don't feel like you can handle it, just drop out? They are not compulsory.

I think a week is plenty of notice for anyone in Dublin/most parts of Ireland. Most jobs would have similar or even less. However, for anyone abroad it is poor notice imo. Could they facilitate skype interviews in such contexts I wonder?

Skype interviews are fine, if everyone is doing a Skype interview. Its not fine if they aren't. I believe that it puts you at a disadvantage. My trip home would take approx. 18 hours, door to door. Then I have to factor in jet lag, and getting back. If I can get the week of the 17 or 18th, I'll be ok, but it takes a minimum of 2 days for my department to book flights, and the time difference means that, even if we are notified today, I wouldn't be able to definitely get a flight booked until Friday at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PublicBen

Possibly less time complaining about the process on here and more time preparing for a potential interview might be the answer to a lot of the problems.

And before people say we havent got results yet, you should always be ready to sit an interview once you apply for the job. Otherwise you aren’t giving your all to the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

PublicBen wrote: »
    Possibly less time complaining about the process on here and more time preparing for a potential interview might be the answer to a lot of the problems.

And before people say we havent got results yet, you should always be ready to sit an interview once you apply for the job. Otherwise you aren’t giving your all to the process.

I didn't say I wasn't prepared for the interview - its the logistics of getting there, finishing up my work here, knowing that its coming up to Christmas, and end of year, while waiting for a date. If I had a date, I'd be fine, but sitting here waiting, with a time difference, is quite frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

I didn't say I wasn't prepared for the interview - its the logistics of getting there, finishing up my work here, knowing that its coming up to Christmas, and end of year, while waiting for a date. If I had a date, I'd be fine, but sitting here waiting, with a time difference, is quite frustrating.

Sounds reasonable. I suppose the likelihood of being called next week depends on the number of interview boards. I think there were 3 or 4 boards on the 2016 competition but who knows this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I have never heard of Departments needing to organise mock interviews for people - that seems completely over the top.

Organising interview skills training - fair enough, but that should be done periodically as part of regular business.

I think it's incumbent on PAS to ensure everyone has a fair and equal chance, but you can't suit people in every scenario. I had to miss a competition before because I was unavailable during the times involved. 2-3 weeks notice would be the norm from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Per my phone call to PAS this morning, they are aiming to give the Stage 3 results this afternoon or tomorrow (they did not say when tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Per my phone call to PAS this morning, they are aiming to give the Stage 3 results this afternoon or tomorrow (they did not say when tomorrow).

Expect them either in the next 20 minutes or 5pm tomorrow so... :P

PublicBen wrote: »

I think the point here is that it’s hardly best practice to give people a week’s notice for an interview. The Civil Service should be all about best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

I've just had an email from them that they are hoping to issue results later this afternoon or very early tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TrooperJones

Results are out, interview information to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Qualified in each but missed out on being called by one mark. Is it worth my while rechecking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Squeaked through by 1 mark. Me noives!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Qualified in each but missed out on being called by one mark. Is it worth my while rechecking?

Presumably you'll be in batch 1.2, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I passed everything....but didnt get 106....I only managed 96.
    Job simulation really let me down in fairness I didnt practice.
    Not surprised tbh ah well, will give it a go the next time and be a bit more prepared.
    Verbal analysis 71 was good though!

Good luck to everyone who qualified with their interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

No, batch 2 will be people who passed the initial aptitude tests but did not hit 114

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

AGC wrote: »
    No, batch 2 will be people who passed the initial aptitude tests but did not hit 114
    Is that true? Seems a bit unfair.
    Especially for people who got very close to scoring 106.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

got 39 in etray missed out by one. will ask for review just to check but its probably gonna be just a confirmation of the score.

AGC wrote: »

I called PAS and was told that those scoring below 106 will be called at a later date....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

gmisk wrote: »
    I passed everything....but didnt get 106....I only managed 96.
    Job simulation really let me down in fairness I didnt practice.
    Not surprised tbh ah well, will give it a go the next time and be a bit more prepared.
    Verbal analysis 71 was good though!

Good luck to everyone who qualified with their interviews.

Did it say you met the qualifying standard for all of them? If so you might be in the next batch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

got 39 in etray missed out by one. will ask for review just to check but its probably gonna be just a confirmation of the score.

Do you know how to ask for a review?

Advertisement