Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

The 205 was batch 1.1 (2016 comp). Batch 1.3 went over 700 and was called to interview 7 months later. Then they moved on to batch 2 from stage 1.

Do you mean 1.3 was 7 months after 1.1? When was 1.2, compared to 1.1? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fredddy

The 205 was batch 1.1 (2016 comp). Batch 1.3 went over 700 and was called to interview 7 months later. Then they moved on to batch 2 from stage 1.

I see ... well we are nowhere near 700 this time round for Round 1 anyway....so based on 2016 ... if only 400 sat the Stage 3 tests this first time round ... what kind of numbers do you think passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Did they split regional and Dublin applicants last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

APcomp wrote: »
    Do you mean 1.3 was 7 months after 1.1? When was 1.2, compared to 1.1? Thanks

Yes, verification/ etray results were out in February 2017 and batch 1.1 called for interview. Batch 1.3 interviews were in September 2017. Sorry, I don't know when batch 1.2 interviews were held.

Fredddy wrote: »
    I see ... well we are nowhere near 700 this time round for Round 1 anyway....so based on 2016 ... if only 400 sat the Stage 3 tests this first time round ... what kind of numbers do you think passed?

1047 were called to Stage 2 (verification/ etray) and over 700 of those were called to Stage 3 (interview) so that was roughly a 70% pass rate for stage 2.

• Advertisement

Did they split regional and Dublin applicants last time?

Only after interview stage when they got placed on a panel I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Only after interview stage when they got placed on a panel I think

It's something we need to bear in mind comparing numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

still a bit gutted over getting 39 in the etray. i do hope my appeal is sucessful but doubt it. best of luck to those that passed to next stage

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrMistoffelees

still a bit gutted over getting 39 in the etray. i do hope my appeal is sucessful but doubt it. best of luck to those that passed to next stage
    Also got 39 in the Etray. Looking back over the pretext information it doesn’t seem they followed the approach set out. The information stated candidates needed to pass verbal, numerical and situational judgement to qualify & OOM would be based on Etray. Following that logic we should have qualified albeit at bottom of OOM?!

Also got 39 in the Etray. Looking back over the pretext information it doesn’t seem they followed the approach set out. The information stated candidates needed to pass verbal, numerical and situational judgement to qualify & OOM would be based on Etray. Following that logic we should have qualified albeit at bottom of OOM?!
    ah thats a good point. technical of course but your right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

The introduction paragraph says "You must reach the required standard in all exercises/tests". So missing the standard in the E-tray means elimination by my reading of it.

In fairness the E-Tray is hard - that was my 1st time doing one and I did not enjoy the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TrooperJones

I'd say so based on the 2016 comp. What's the OOM for a score of 81, or the highest OOM out there?

There was no OOM in my message, but I got 111 points...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Failed the job situational section of the test. Is there any point in asking for a recheck? Presumably it's all done by computers and there's no way a mistake could be made?

I was quite surprised by my other results too. I generally get mid 70s in verbal, this time it was mid 50s; also usually get mid 50s in situational, this time it was low 30s. I didn't find the tests any harder or easier than other competitions/years so very surprised at the discrepancy.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Failed the job situational section of the test. Is there any point in asking for a recheck? Presumably it's all done by computers and there's no way a mistake could be made?

I was quite surprised by my other results too. I generally get mid 70s in verbal, this time it was mid 50s; also usually get mid 50s in situational, this time it was low 30s. I didn't find the tests any harder or easier than other competitions/years so very surprised at the discrepancy.
    always worth asking. go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

I recieved written confirmation from PAS that those who qualified will be called for interview in a later batch. No time scale given

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rcard

Hi all
    I note the interview requires you to bring written references from jobs in the last three years. Is everyone doing this? What kind of info is needed in the references? Can the referees keep it simple, dates and brief description? Or should I ask my referees to address some of the competencies?
    Thanks!
    Ruth

rcard wrote: »
    Hi all
    I note the interview requires you to bring written references from jobs in the last three years. Is everyone doing this? What kind of info is needed in the references? Can the referees keep it simple, dates and brief description? Or should I ask my referees to address some of the competencies?
    Thanks!
    Ruth

... Hmmmm... do these references need to be on headed company paper, emails from former bosses... what?

Not sure - says on the Stage 3 Information Material:

Original and one copy of references from previous employers to cover the last three years (do not include current employer reference)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

rcard wrote: »
    Not sure - says on the Stage 3 Information Material:

Original and one copy of references from previous employers to cover the last three years (do not include current employer reference)

:confused:

How's that supposed to work if you've been with your current employer for 3 years?

I presume you wouldnt have to include anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hardybuck wrote: »
    I have never heard of Departments needing to organise mock interviews for people - that seems completely over the top.

Organising interview skills training - fair enough, but that should be done periodically as part of regular business.

I think it's incumbent on PAS to ensure everyone has a fair and equal chance, but you can't suit people in every scenario. I had to miss a competition before because I was unavailable during the times involved. 2-3 weeks notice would be the norm from my experience.

Some Departments are using it as a mechanism to push for greater female representation at HEO/AP (and higher)- given the historic manner in gender representation (in comparison to lower grades) has not reflected the organisations as a whole. In some Departments (particularly in internal competitions) it has been wildly successful (to the extent that in some Departments guys don't even bother applying for the internals anymore). What tends to happen is one-on-one mentoring, womens representative groups who get outside assistance with interview training (Carr Communications have been used in at least 3 Departments) etc- more often than not monitored by an Equality board whose remit is to try and have a more representative gender reflection in higher grades (and they report back to senior management on the success or otherwise of their endeavours).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Are there four boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Meathlass wrote: »

That's interesting. Mirrors my experience in the verbal. Last time I got high 60's, this time high 40's. I'm going to ask for a recheck, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Are there four boards?

No mention of the number of Boards in the message that went around earlier anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Megidje

Earlier email only suggests one board but this can’t be surely? There would have to be four to get through numbers.

Megidje wrote: »
    Earlier email only suggests one board but this can’t be surely? There would have to be four to get through numbers.

.... unless they are only interviewing 40 max in 1.1???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Fredddy wrote: »
    .... unless they are only interviewing 40 max in 1.1???

This looks to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I’m sure if people shared the names of who was on their board there would be more than 1?

Any comp I’ve done I’ve just been given who is on my board on specific dates and not other boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

AGC wrote: »
    I’m sure if people shared the names of who was on their board there would be more than 1?

Any comp I’ve done I’ve just been given who is on my board on specific dates and not other boards.

In this case a range of names, dates and roles were given. These do not suggest any overlap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I’ve heard that no AOs made the shortlisting for this competition.

Anyone know if this is true?

Advertisement