Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fredddy

Batch 1.2 will have to be interviewed first though?

Yes they will and probably be another 150 or so interviewed in 1.2. So if the stats are right about the 150 interviewed on 1.1 reducing to 100 going onto the panel then for all of batch 1, i.e. those making it onto the panel, we might be looking at 200 or so total. Still lots of jobs left to be filled in Dublin for APs but i would be guessing batch 2 Stage 3 and interview will not be until the second half of 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Fredddy wrote: »
    Yes they will and probably be another 150 or so interviewed in 1.2. So if the stats are right about the 150 interviewed on 1.1 reducing to 100 going onto the panel then for all of batch 1, i.e. those making it onto the panel, we might be looking at 200 or so total. Still lots of jobs left to be filled in Dublin for APs but i would be guessing batch 2 Stage 3 and interview will not be until the second half of 2019

I'd say anyone getting an interview has a good chance due to the shortlisting so in theory the interview pass rate should be higher. I had a look back at the 2016 comp and batch 1.1 (205 called for interview) was followed 10 weeks later by batch 1.2 (Not sure how many), which was then followed 15 weeks later by batch 1.3 (700+ OOM). At that rate I wouldn't be surprised if they call 2018 batch 1.2 in Jan/ Feb followed by batch 2 in Apr/ May and maybe even batch 3 by the end of 2019 to get the same numbers on panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There’s still batch 1.1b to go yet - regional candidates who didn’t put down Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Looking at 2016 stats- is not going to be particularly productive- and will give people false expectations- keep in mind there was a large number of vacancies complements of our lost decade during which there was a complete embargo on recruitments/replacements that was only just being relaxed. We're now firmly back into 'normal' territory- and away from the recovery mode we were in only 2-3 short years ago. Speculating is all well and good- however, it would be ill advised unless you're aware of and looking at the macro picture of where the Service was back then.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Unprecedented amount of retirements coming up though.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Unprecedented amount of retirements coming up though.

A load were included in the last batch too- as people took the opportunity of the pension inducement to jump early.

The age profile- is interesting- well, scary actually- the amount of knowledge about to walk out the door, is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Looking at 2016 stats- is not going to be particularly productive- and will give people false expectations- keep in mind there was a large number of vacancies complements of our lost decade during which there was a complete embargo on recruitments/replacements that was only just being relaxed. We're now firmly back into 'normal' territory- and away from the recovery mode we were in only 2-3 short years ago. Speculating is all well and good- however, it would be ill advised unless you're aware of and looking at the macro picture of where the Service was back then.........

I don’t think we’re back in normal territory yet. I think we’re still a year or two away from that and we still have an abnormal amount of APs retiring over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TrooperJones

I don’t think we’re back in normal territory yet. I think we’re still a year or two away from that and we still have an abnormal amount of APs retiring over the next couple of years.

I read this report a couple months back: (https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/civil-service-is-on-the-brink-of-retirement-cliff-union-chief-says-36936859.html)

40% of POs and 33% of APs due to retire in the next decade, meanwhile 80% of AOs are under 40 and 66% of HEOs are under 55.

Older staff would be on the 40 year pension accrual system, so are likely enough to leave when they can rather than wait around and risk having the pension rules changed on them in the case of another downturn... *cough* Brexit *cough*

Its also extremely odd the manner in which this differs in different Departments (and indeed in Regional versus Dublin locations). Some Departments are relatively youthful in comparison to some of the unloved spending Departments who were party to the 1999 agreement (where only 1-in-4 retirements were replaced). There are at least 3 geriatric Departments- no prizes for guessing who they are..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Who are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Addle wrote: »
    Who are they?

Was wondering the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kilometres na gcopaleen

The Department of Children and Youth Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

The photo machine in Jervis isn't working - so make sure to leave enough time to go to the pharmacy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Hi, was wondering if you get an offer to you start at the bottom of the pay range for that grade or might it depend on your experience situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Cliffage wrote: »
    Hi, was wondering if you get an offer to you start at the bottom of the pay range for that grade or might it depend on your experience situation?

You start at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fredddy

Ravelleman wrote: »
    You start at the bottom.

That's a pity... for some of the private sector existing experienced managers who make it through to the last stage the pay cut involved in taking the lowest level on the AP pay scale will mean it won't be viable for them to take the role. I suppose it also helps with keeping the jobs in the civil service family and keeping the private sector outsiders out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Fredddy wrote: »
    I suppose it also helps with keeping the jobs in the civil service family and keeping the private sector outsiders out

Not sure how to read this post.

Are all APs underpaid... or just the ones who come from the private sector?

Wait until you see how much extra you’ve to pay as a pension levy!

You’d have thought private sector people would be tripping over themselves to get a job in CS.

I’ve yet to meet a CS who got a pay rise when joining the CS despite being more likely to be educated to a higher standard and more likely to be a member of a professional organisation than their private sector counterpart.

Not sure how to read this post.

Are all APs underpaid... or just the ones who come from the private sector?

Wait until you see how much extra you’ve to pay as a pension levy!

You’d have thought private sector people would be tripping over themselves to get a job in CS.

I’ve yet to meet a CS who got a pay rise when joining the CS despite being more likely to be educated to a higher standard and more likely to be a member of a professional organisation than their private sector counterpart.

^^This^^

I was working as a waiter before I joined the CS. Two years (and two promotions) later, I was an AO earning about as much as I had been before joining.

Civil servants are typically more academically qualified and with more experience than their counterparts in the private sector. They get rewarded with stable conditions, reasonably flexible working arrangements and a decent pension, not with up front pay.

That said... according to CSO and SILC data, a single AP on the lowest point will be earning about as much as the average Irish household.

And there's the chance for the highest placed to be put into D/Taoiseach, Finance or PER, and get the AP Higher salary (starting at almost 73k)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Results out!!!!!!!

Pas very quick off the mark! Thanks to them for not making us wait over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Results out!!!!!!!

Pas very quick off the mark! Thanks to them for not making us wait over the Christmas.

Not surprised at all, I saw a previous post mention mid-January, don't see where that came from, to me the fact that they went out of their way to have the interview on those specific dates, despite the fact that meant not everyone had 7 days notice, meant that they were pushing to get it sorted by the Christmas break. It was always likely they wanted to have a panel this side of Christmas anyway. It's not unreasonable to get them out that quickly anyway, the interview boards make up their minds there and then, it's not as if there's anything to be scored in the days after the interview - just the admin work to get them out.

Congrats to everyone who was successful, hard luck to those who weren't. I'll be up myself pretty soon - I heard the interviews were very tough last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Not to be for me this time. Congrats to everyone who placed on the panel and commiserations for those that didn't.

Anybody know the correct email address for requesting feedback or informal review?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Nice Christmas present for some of ye.
    Congrats and commiserations as appropriate!

I'd be interested to know how many placed on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

6th time lucky for me. Absolutely over the moon, and really surprised given the massive lack of prep. Busiest time of year with work and kids, but squeaked it.

To any of ye who didn’t make it or fell short a few times - tweak it, think about it and keep at it. It’ll fall eventually. Worth the many disappointments to get one winner ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Megidje

APcomp wrote: »
    Not surprised at all, I saw a previous post mention mid-January, don't see where that came from, to me the fact that they went out of their way to have the interview on those specific dates, despite the fact that meant not everyone had 7 days notice, meant that they were pushing to get it sorted by the Christmas break. It was always likely they wanted to have a panel this side of Christmas anyway. It's not unreasonable to get them out that quickly anyway, the interview boards make up their minds there and then, it's not as if there's anything to be scored in the days after the interview - just the admin work to get them out.

Congrats to everyone who was successful, hard luck to those who weren't. I'll be up myself pretty soon - I heard the interviews were very tough last week.
    Ah no the interview wasn’t that bad. You’ll be fine. Good luck with it. They took pity on me it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

The interview wasn’t that bad. I had some very leading questions. It actually felt like they had read my form first. This was my 4th pas ap interview, and I made it through, after 10 years as a heo. Persistence pays off

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Megidje

The interview wasn’t that bad. I had some very leading questions. It actually felt like they had read my form first. This was my 4th pas ap interview, and I made it through, after 10 years as a heo. Persistence pays off
    Congrats to yourself and Handy11 - just shows if you are resilient it does pay off!

My first time around and I made it through, focus on the competencies and keep your examples tight.

I don't have a lot of management experience, and I scored mid 40s for leadership, but I got in the 70s for the others, so don't be worried if you're on the younger side!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Congrats to everyone who got through!

Does anyone know how many people are on the panel?

Veledan22 wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone who got through!

Does anyone know how many people are on the panel?

I'm 46 on the open and 34 on the interdepartmental, so there's at least that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

Anyone know how they decide whether to take a candidate from the open or the interdept panel when filling a vacancy?

Any educated guesses on how many vacancies might come up in the first half of 2019?

Thanks

Advertisement