Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

hardybuck wrote: »
    DPER only hire AP1. As do Taoiseachs and Finance.

OGP and OGCIO do their own thing in relation to recruitment.

DPER took APs from the 2016 Panel, not everyone there is an AP1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Veledan22 wrote: »
    DPER took APs from the 2016 Panel, not everyone there is an AP1.

Every AP and PO in DPER is on the higher scale by default. If you come in on secondment you get the higher scale I understand, and I think anyone who was on the standard scale got sorted out.

While a limited number of people were brought in off the open in 2016, that practice is now at an end with the AP1 and PO1 panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

OGP and OGCIO do their own thing in relation to recruitment.

yes but they are part of DPER so I was just making that clear

If you come in on secondment you get the higher scale I understand,

sort of

you get an allowance which is equal to the next highest amount on the scale

this can be as little as a couple of hundred euro a year

you don't get put on the equivalent point of scale

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

So does that mean no one from this panel will be placed in Finance, DPER or Taoiseach's?

Do they run a separate competition for those departments? If so how does that work?

• Advertisement

PCX wrote: »
    So does that mean no one from this panel will be placed in Finance, DPER or Taoiseach's?

Do they run a separate competition for those departments? If so how does that work?

essentially yes you wont be placed there unless, as before, there is no AP1 panel and they need staff quickly

the AP1 panels used to be confined to serving APs (similarly POs for PO1)

but the most recent competition also allowed those at top of Open panels to apply.

Riskymove wrote: »
    yes but they are part of DPER so I was just making that clear

You're correct, but essentially they're independent and probably will be on their own when the next Government comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Any idea on when regional shortlisting will be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bill1982

Any estimates on how long a placement will take? Anyone hear anything from PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

WAW wrote: »
    Any idea on when regional shortlisting will be done?

PAS told me this afternoon they have scheduled regional shortlisting for the end of January (in next 2-3 weeks) with results of shortlisting out in early February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

No word, and i’m fairly high on the panel. Will wait til next week, and might give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JPX111

No word, and i’m fairly high on the panel. Will wait til next week, and might give them a call

I rang last Friday and was told approximately two weeks before they will be contacting people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

dee75 wrote: »
    PAS told me this afternoon they have scheduled regional shortlisting for the end of January (in next 2-3 weeks) with results of shortlisting out in early February.

Did you go for it again Dee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I had wicklow as first choice, however, with a score of 104 unlikely I will be called forward. What do others think on scores getting called?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

dar100 wrote: »
    I had wicklow as first choice, however, with a score of 104 unlikely I will be called forward. What do others think on scores getting called?

I thought that at first (I'm on 103) but then the shortlisting happened. I'd say you might even squeak into batch 2. Any idea how many on batch 1.1? I know there was someone in the 40's on here but there must be more than that. Anyone in the 80's, 90's or 100's? Batch 1.2 can't be that big unless everyone passed the Supervised Tests. All depends on demand of course but if it remains consistent they'll move fairly quick.

Sorry, that's only relevant if you have Dublin, Kildare or Meath as second choice I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do PAS place successful candidates in positions based on their experience/education?
    Or is it just random?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Megidje

I thought that at first (I'm on 103) but then the shortlisting happened. I'd say you might even squeak into batch 2. Any idea how many on batch 1.1? I know there was someone in the 40's on here but there must be more than that. Anyone in the 80's, 90's or 100's? Batch 1.2 can't be that big unless everyone passed the Supervised Tests. All depends on demand of course but if it remains consistent they'll move fairly quick.

Sorry, that's only relevant if you have Dublin, Kildare or Meath as second choice I suppose.

For Stage 3, they set the bar at 106 for successful candidates, and only called those with 106 or higher to interview before Xmas. Therefore everyone that passed Stage 3 [81 - 105] have still to be called to interview at some stage. I was in the high 20s btw and don’t know anyone else on panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Batch 1.1 Dublin* had 349 people shortlisted and eligible to sit the tests. An unknown number qualified.

Of those approx 150 have been interviewed by our estimates.

Batch 1.1b Dublin is probably 150ish more applicants? I'd expect that to be quite soon. Maybe even with the regionals?

I'd love to know what the highest oom on the first panel is.

(*Technically Dublin + adjacent counties I think, but anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Did you go for it again Dee?

I did Bobby - sure I just love tormenting myself! And its nice to have options.

I think it will be interesting to see if I make it through the new shortlisting process! It's hard to turn something down and I don't regret it but can't help wondering how I would have enjoyed the AP role.

I'd love to hear how some of the APs appointed from the 2016 batch are finding their new roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 batista

I’m a little confused here, I scored 107 and placed 1,500 on the list so just forgot about it and moved on, checked back here on the forum for interest and people are talking about second and further batches. Surely there aren’t that many vacancies in the civil service at apo level that they’ll go that far down the list from the open comp with only a third getting selected that way, or am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

batista wrote: »
    I’m a little confused here, I scored 107 and placed 1,500 on the list so just forgot about it and moved on, checked back here on the forum for interest and people are talking about second and further batches. Surely there aren’t that many vacancies in the civil service at apo level that they’ll go that far down the list from the open comp with only a third getting selected that way, or am I wrong?

Many, many people either would not have the experience as outlined in their application form and are just chancing their arm with no experience, but passed the tests. Others may have not confermed their orginal scores on the second tests for reasons including cheating on the first.

Both these circumstances mean a very large number of people being cut.

Overall, i find their whole recruitment process fairly bad tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

batista wrote: »

Plenty of people are turning down offers too- the civil service isn't the utopia that the media would have you believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Also location plays a part-not everyone of the 1500 ahead of you will want your location. Saying that I’m around the same place as you and don’t really have my hopes up to get anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

sillysocks wrote: »
    Also location plays a part-not everyone of the 1500 ahead of you will want your location. Saying that I’m around the same place as you and don’t really have my hopes up to get anywhere!

Just wondering how that works. A stage 1 score of 114 was 891 OOM on the Open stream. This was countrywide. Apparently 765 entered shortlisting for Dublin+. I assume this included anyone with Dublin, Meath or Kildare as their first or second choice? That leaves 126 of the 891 who had other locations for both choices, which would not be a huge number to progress to shortlisting as a regional batch R1 if I'm understanding the process correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Everyone who scored 114 would have oom 891. Theres probably a lot of people at position 891. 1-200 I'd guess.
    (If anyone scored 113, their oom would tell us)

Post shortlisting/supervised tests and interviews, you're right, it won't be very many. Many in Dublin will have a second regionsl preference too though and may hold out for it, especially in the first batch where they'll be top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Addle wrote: »
    Do PAS place successful candidates in positions based on their experience/education?
    Or is it just random?

It's just random. You're next on the list, a Department phones up with a vacancy they need to fill, you get called.

*If* a department has several AP vacancies they're filling at the same time, and *if* their HR department is doing its job properly, they should look to match candidates and experience, but there's no guarantee of that.

It's just random. You're next on the list, a Department phones up with a vacancy they need to fill, you get called.

*If* a department has several AP vacancies they're filling at the same time, and *if* their HR department is doing its job properly, they should look to match candidates and experience, but there's no guarantee of that.

The process has become increasingly less random in recent years.

Bar one person who didn't have much experience, everyone I know who's come off an open panel in the last 2-3 years has been placed in a role which is either directly linked to their experience and education, or some area which is quite close to it.

Departments are getting better at articulating what skills they want, and waiting for them to come up where they can. E.g. if they know number 28 has a legal background, and the panel is at number 14, they may be prepared to wait a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rcard

The process has become increasingly less random in recent years.

Bar one person who didn't have much experience, everyone I know who's come off an open panel in the last 2-3 years has been placed in a role which is either directly linked to their experience and education, or some area which is quite close to it.

Departments are getting better at articulating what skills they want, and waiting for them to come up where they can. E.g. if they know number 28 has a legal background, and the panel is at number 14, they may be prepared to wait a few weeks.

thats good to know, I live in hope then of something coming along that I actually want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

Apologies if this has been asked before, but will candidates who "reached the required standard" but scored less than 106 be called to interview soon? Scored in the 90s and wondering if I will get an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

AP2019 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but will candidates who "reached the required standard" but scored less than 106 be called to interview soon? Scored in the 90s and wondering if I will get an interview.
    In same boat, the indication on here seems to be yes you will get called to interview but might be a while

Advertisement