Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

AP2019 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but will candidates who "reached the required standard" but scored less than 106 be called to interview soon? Scored in the 90s and wondering if I will get an interview.

What number were you placed at? , i scored 103-104 but dont expect to be called. I was circa 1900 on panel, i suspect 90's to be fair bit into 2000's

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

dar100 wrote: »
    What number were you placed at? , i scored 103-104 but dont expect to be called. I was circa 1900 on panel, i suspect 90's to be fair bit into 2000's

I suspect you might be referring to your result from stage 1 whereas I think AP2019 is talking about stage 3 results. I am open to correction on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

PCX wrote: »
    I suspect you might be referring to your result from stage 1 whereas I think AP2019 is talking about stage 3 results. I am open to correction on that

Your prob correct there. Was 106 the cut off on stage 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sounds to me like they are talking about stage 3.
    Stage 3 had a pass mark, but then you had to get over 106 I think to get called in first batch of interviews, from what people saying here anyone who passed stage 3 will likely get an interview.
    Stage 1 was a pass or fail.

dar100 wrote: »
    Your prob correct there. Was 106 the cut off on stage 3?
    (stage 3) Yes first batch of interviews were 106+ but pass score was 81 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

You're correct, I'm talking about the results after stage three. Will those who passed, as in scored above 81, but didn't score above 106 be called next?

You're correct, I'm talking about the results after stage three. Will those who passed, as in scored above 81, but didn't score above 106 be called next?
    I think so, well according to people on here, I havent had any messages to indicate it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Looks like it's a definite yes - I emailed PAS last week and they said "it is anticipated that the second round of interviews will be held at some stage in February for candidates that have selected Dublin, Kildare and Meath and have met the qualifying standard in the previous round of verification".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

HannahR31 wrote: »
    Looks like it's a definite yes - I emailed PAS last week and they said "it is anticipated that the second round of interviews will be held at some stage in February for candidates that have selected Dublin, Kildare and Meath and have met the qualifying standard in the previous round of verification".

Presumably the shortlisting stage will be undertaken in the next fortnight so for the next batch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

rcard wrote: »
    thats good to know, I live in hope then of something coming along that I actually want to do!

Don’t be afraid to email PAS and let them know your skill set and even preferred Depts. They may not be able to anything for you but my experience of staff in PAS is that they are very helpful.

It’s benefits the Department, the individual, PAS and the taxpayer to have someone suited to their actual job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ley2018

Has anyone any update on when PAS will inform regional candidates on whether they have been shortlisted for the supervised tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

ley2018 wrote: »
    Has anyone any update on when PAS will inform regional candidates on whether they have been shortlisted for the supervised tests?

was wondering the same myself, would like to book a holiday but afraid of getting short notice for tests etc

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

seamie78 wrote: »
    was wondering the same myself, would like to book a holiday but afraid of getting short notice for tests etc

I'd imagine they would let you know in the first place that you were progressing to Shortlisting stage, and what the cut-off is. I don't think it necessarily needs to be a score of 114 and may go lower. Shortlisting results would be about a week later and then hopefully a decent couple of weeks lead-in to the Supervised Tests if the Dublin+ stream is anything to go by but probably best ask PAS given your holiday plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

the previous communication stated that we would be going for shortlisting, I believe early 2019 was the schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rcard

Hi all,
    I am number 10 on the OOM and am beginning clearance.
    Any idea when they will tell me what the role is? They asked whether I wanted the job without saying what it is.
    Thanks for all the info on the thread, it is very useful for a newbie.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

rcard wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am number 10 on the OOM and am beginning clearance.
    Any idea when they will tell me what the role is? They asked whether I wanted the job without saying what it is.
    Thanks for all the info on the thread, it is very useful for a newbie.
    :)

Ask them. They'll at least give you a department, though it may be subject to change if clearance takes a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

I've been given a provisional placement, but am in clearance, and there is extra security clearance for this one, so can take up to 12 weeks. Its not particularly a placement I would have favoured

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've been given a provisional placement, but am in clearance, and there is extra security clearance for this one, so can take up to 12 weeks. Its not particularly a placement I would have favoured

You could always do your two years and then apply to transfer out (which might take a while itself- though demographics are in your favour)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Do you mind me asking where you are on the panel please?
    If you said it didn't suit, could you see if something else might be available?

I'm in the top 20. I have no idea what happens if you turn something down. I'm an existing civil servant, and was hoping my parent department might keep me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'm in the top 20. I have no idea what happens if you turn something down. I'm an existing civil servant, and was hoping my parent department might keep me.

Assuming you're on both the open and interdepartmental, my understanding is that you can turn down one and you'll be offered a second on the other. You're stuck with the second whatever it is though, and you may end up marking time.

At least that's the debate I've seen in my area when people are considering promotion offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Assuming you're on both the open and interdepartmental, my understanding is that you can turn down one and you'll be offered a second on the other. You're stuck with the second whatever it is though, and you may end up marking time.

At least that's the debate I've seen in my area when people are considering promotion offers.

Is this worth it, I wonder. There isn't a vast difference between the 2 lists. It's a gamble!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bowiegal

Has your parent Department contacted PAS? Might be worth asking them to follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

The thing to do here, if you haven't already, is to talk to your Department's HR and see if they'd be interested in 'tagging' you from the open panel to fill a vacancy in the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Did you tell your AP and PO that you are on the panel so they could flag it with HR? They may be interested in keeping you, but you could slip through because nobody noticed your name on a list. Apparently it happens. Of course there's not much they can do if there's no vacancy but no harm to have a chat with them to see where you stand if you haven't already done so.

Thanks all for the suggestions re HR, already done, by me and my PO. My dept may be over their numbers, so I might be out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

Thanks all for the suggestions re HR, already done, by me and my PO. My dept may be over their numbers, so I might be out of luck.

Similar happened to me when I was appointed to HEO. No matter what my parent Dept did, PAS had already allocated me to another Dept and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

If on both Open and Interdepartmental panels, and you don't want to go to a particular department you have been offered, you can definitely refuse the offer and within weeks you will receive another offer (from the other panel). It is highly unlikely they will offer you the same department.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

If on both Open and Interdepartmental panels, and you don't want to go to a particular department you have been offered, you can definitely refuse the offer and within weeks you will receive another offer (from the other panel). It is highly unlikely they will offer you the same department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

This is exactly what I did.

You will have no choice but to take your second offer.

Advertisement