Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Thumbtaxed is taking a forum break; as always please report people you think trolling rather than engage them on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cheesypuffs

I already said it but it was missed, are marks given not out of 80, they were at Stage 2 of the 2016 competition?

They seem to call stage 1 the unsupervised tests, stage 2 the shortlisting, stage 3 the supervised tests and then also stage 3 for the interview, which is scored out of 100.

So, if you're talking about stage 3 part 1, so to speak, then that is scored out of 80 but only job simulation and etray scores count when being considered for interview, although you must pass the minimum standard on the verbal and numerical also.

"Further to your participation in Stage 3 - Supervised Verbal, Numerical, Job Simulation Tests and etray exercise in respect of your candidature for the above campaign, I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the qualifying standard.

Candidates were required to reach the qualifying standard in each test in order to qualify.

Your scores in the tests were as follows:

Verbal Analysis

Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 38

Your Score

Numerical Analysis

Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 38

Your Score

Job Simulation Test

Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 41

Your Score

Etray Exercise

Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 40

Your Score

Your total score is determined by your scores for the Job Simulation and E tray exercise only.

Your Total Score (Job Simulation and E tray exercise):
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fredddy

We seem to be moving quickly through the placements from those who passed the interview in December and are now on the panel - the 1.1 group. From previous years, for those about to do the interviews next week for 1.2, any idea when those who pass the interviews in the 1.2 group and are then placed on the panel are likely to start working positions from, April, mid-year, end-of-the-year etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭res1

I know this is a ridiculous question to be asking because I should know ...however ..how long is this panel open for? I know panels are usually open for 2 years.. just checking. Thanks in advance to responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

@APComp Aiming for exactly 41 in each competency during the week so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

res1 wrote: »
    I know this is a ridiculous question to be asking because I should know ...however ..how long is this panel open for? I know panels are usually open for 2 years.. just checking. Thanks in advance to responses.

30/10/2020 - Panel will expire. Source: dper circular launching the interD stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Fredddy wrote: »
    We seem to be moving quickly through the placements from those who passed the interview in December and are now on the panel - the 1.1 group. From previous years, for those about to do the interviews next week for 1.2, any idea when those who pass the interviews in the 1.2 group and are then placed on the panel are likely to start working positions from, April, mid-year, end-of-the-year etc.?

They don't tend to call a new batch until they need them, so given that they have now called Batch 2 for Stage 3 supervised tests suggests that they are expecting to get through Batch 1.2 fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Apologies if already asked, but did the boards in batch 1.1 stick to the content of the application form when asking about each competency or were you able to introduce new examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Apologies if already asked, but did the boards in batch 1.1 stick to the content of the application form when asking about each competency or were you able to introduce new examples?

I don't know about 1.1 but in general, if you want to use a different example than the one on the form that's allowed and up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

AP2019 wrote: »
    @APComp Aiming for exactly 41 in each competency during the week so!

You pass everything and you will be an AP.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Hi Thumbtaxed are you currently an AP? I've heard from a confidant of mine in PAS that I'm being placed off the AP for Portlaoise. Would love to here of some of your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

Does anyone know what additional Garda checks are involved in the special vetting for Defence and Justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JDoherty1560

Hi All, does anyone know if there is negative marking in the verbal and numerical reasoning tests?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi All, does anyone know if there is negative marking in the verbal and numerical reasoning tests?

Million dollar question.
    PAS have repeatedly refused to answer this one.
    Most of us are relying on no negative marking- however, there may be some form, other than a traditional form, of negative marking involved- which is why PAS are so cagey about saying a straight yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rcard

Ladder22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what additional Garda checks are involved in the special vetting for Defence and Justice?

I don’t actually know but in courts it’s “full disclosure” - ie if you had convictions etc that wouldn’t have been disclosed under a normal vetting (eg when they are spent) these will show up.
    “We are not covered by the Criminal Justice (Spent Convictions & Certain Disclosures) Act 2016. We will receive notice of all convictions.”

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rcard

When I did the numerical I made a note of how many I had finished and how many I thought I had correct. Just a tick on top of my workings.

Btw you only get one sheet of paper for working.

The number correct aligned with my mark so I would assume that means they didn’t do negative marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

The important lessons for anyone prepping for the supervised assessment is you need to do really well in the e tray and judgement results to get called for interview. You need to prep for these two tests as well as you possibly can. Try and understand the logic and skills used for these tests i.e. when to delegate & escalate, how to prioiritise tasks, report writing skills etc

You just need 40% in verbal and written. So focus on getting 40% correct. You don't need to answer all the verbal and written test questions, as there really doesn't seem to be any negative marking. e.g. once you've answered 8/18 maths and 9/22 verbal correctly - job done (can't quire remember how many questions are in each). Don't stress if you're not scoring highly in the numeracy and verbal tests, as long as you know you will get 40%-50% you're good to go.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

Should not the Supervised scores be within certain tolerance limits of the online scores?

Ladder22 wrote: »
    The important lessons for anyone prepping for the supervised assessment is you need to do really well in the e tray and judgement results to get called for interview. You need to prep for these two tests as well as you possibly can. Try and understand the logic and skills used for these tests i.e. when to delegate & escalate, how to prioiritise tasks, report writing skills etc

You just need 40% in verbal and written. So focus on getting 40% correct. You don't need to answer all the verbal and written test questions, as there really doesn't seem to be any negative marking. e.g. once you've answered 8/18 maths and 9/22 verbal correctly - job done (can't quire remember how many questions are in each). Don't stress if you're not scoring highly in the numeracy and verbal tests, as long as you know you will get 40%-50% you're good to go.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Should not the Supervised scores be within certain tolerance limits of the online scores?

They should. Score more than (anecdotally) 10%-15% worse in the supervised tests than you did in the unsupervised and you'll be excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Any folks have any idea how long the interview might take?

I have 2 examples for each of the competencies, and read over some general interview questions....any other hints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

gmisk wrote: »
    Any folks have any idea how long the interview might take?

I have 2 examples for each of the competencies, and read over some general interview questions....any other hints?

It's 40 to 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's 40 to 45 minutes.
    Thank for that, fingers crossed it isn't too intense!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

gmisk wrote: »
    Thank for that, fingers crossed it isn't too intense!

It’ll fly by

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered. PAS have called up batch 2. Batch 1 was 114 and above. What magic number was picked for batch 2??

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered. PAS have called up batch 2. Batch 1 was 114 and above. What magic number was picked for batch 2??

It was 106 and above for Batch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

Veledan22 wrote: »
    It was 106 and above for Batch 2.

Perfect. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Current status of competition:

Stage 4: awaiting a job

Batch 1.1 Dublin: Completely qualified candidates on a panel of unknown size who have complete all steps and are awaiting offers. I'd estimate 100-150 of 150-200 interviewed, highest number by pm frequent poster in the early 70s on the open, 50s interd

Panel currently at number 30ish

If anyone wants to pm me their panel number higher than 70, I'll add it anonymously so we have an idea of panel size.

Stage 3: Supervised testing complete & awaiting interview

Batch 1.2 Dublin: completed supervised testing and qualified to proceed. 349 (of 750ish originally) candidates were offered supervised testing and approx 150-200 were interviewed already. This is those remaining and is a small group.

Will be interviewed in February.

Stage 2: Shortlisting & supervised testing
    Batch 1.1 Regional and Batch 2 (all), a group of 750-850 people who put regional and Dublin locations down were shortlisted.

Includes all candidates scoring 106 and above, down to oom approx 1570.

Unclear on number passing shortlisting, but 8 days of supervised testing will commence 18th February.

Stage 1: passed stage 1 testing

Batch 3 - anyone with a score below 106 on the first stage tests. Currently awaiting shortlisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

I finished in the early 90s for oom after first stage tests, is there an chance i could get called for second round ones? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LORDLEPRECHAUN

It's 40 to 45 minutes.
    I had heard it was only 30 minutes? This incorrect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

I had heard it was only 30 minutes? This incorrect?

Yeah its 45 mins

Advertisement