Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

BobCat123 wrote: »
    I finished in the early 90s for oom after first stage tests, is there an chance i could get called for second round ones? Thanks

It's anyone's guess.

Your best gauge is off your order of merit as that's how many people are ahead of you in the queue.

About 20-30% of those passing stage 1 seem to be making it to the panel.

They'll need a few hundred from the panel unless economic disaster strikes. How many hundred, no one knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

If you run out of time is it wise to randomly answer unfinished questions in the numerical analysis and verbal reasoning sections. I read somewhere that you are not expected to get through all the questions and are marked as a percentage of the ones you attempt once you answer a minimum number of questions. If you are marked out of the total number of questions you have a 25% chance of getting correct answers in the questions you have not answered. If however you are marked on say a minimum of 20 out of 25 questions for example you have a 75% chance of getting them wrong if you just guess them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just out of interview, went in a bit early as a no show.
    Went ok I think bar one or two questions but hey who knows, not had one before it was pretty intense.
    Just one thing to note....no notes, you are not allowed notes or extra material, luckily I had two applications with me, so used the unmarked version.

Any idea when likely to get results if I was interviewed today? Thanks.
    Good luck to everyone doing exams and interviews btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Brody78

gmisk wrote: »

The last batch were waiting about a week so I’m guessing next Wednesday . In the same boat here . Fingers crossed !!

• Advertisement

Brody78 wrote: »
    The last batch were waiting about a week so I’m guessing next Wednesday . In the same boat here . Fingers crossed !!
    Thanks...we will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Went ok I think bar one or two questions but hey who knows, not had one before it was pretty intense.
    Just one thing to note....no notes, you are not allowed notes or extra material, luckily I had two applications with me, so used the unmarked version.

I'm in tomorrow - heard a few people say it was intense. Intense in what way? Any particularly hard/awkward questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fredddy

. Wow..... people make it all the way to the interview stage and then don't show.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

I asked Monday and was told they don't expect to issue interview results before end of February, so I'm expecting early March. We could be lucky. Interviews are all this week they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

AP2019 wrote: »
    I asked Monday and was told they don't expect to issue interview results before end of February, so I'm expecting early March. We could be lucky. Interviews are all this week they said.

I expect that they're not in as big a rush as they were at Christmas when the old panel was expiring. They're only half way through 1.1 so there isn't the same urgency. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Good luck to all with batch 1.2 interviews this week. Any idea how many interview boards they have on this time? They had 4 boards on for 5 days with 8 interviews per day for batch 1.1, so roughly 160 interviews, but estimates suggest batch 1.2 is much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Good luck to all with batch 1.2 interviews this week. Any idea how many interview boards they have on this time? They had 4 boards on for 5 days with 8 interviews per day for batch 1.1, so roughly 160 interviews, but estimates suggest batch 1.2 is much smaller.

Looks to me like only 1 board but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Looks to me like only 1 board but i could be wrong

no , there's definitely at least two this time.

CBCB wrote: »
    no , there's definitely at least two this time.

Scratch my last post so!

I had assumed that when I wasnt given a board number, there was just one board.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Scratch my last post so!

I had assumed that when I wasn't given a board number, there was just one board.

I know there are two for sure as a friend is also up this week and we compared our messages on publicjobs but it could be more

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

CBCB wrote: »
    I know there are two for sure as a friend is also up this week and we compared our messages on publicjobs but it could be more

Looked to me like minimum four rooms were in use for interviews when I had mine.

Looked to me like minimum four rooms were in use for interviews when I had mine.

The small batch theory is debunked in that case!

Maybe interviews underway for other competitions?

The small batch theory is debunked in that case!

They hardly got 320 interviews out of 349 supervised tests/ etrays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I guess they could have.
    It's a verification stage and it's the best performers at the stage 1.

Unless someone cheated they would be expected to pass and all that's needed is to match previous results and pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Where you get 320 from?

I guess they could have.
    It's a verification stage and it's the best performers at the stage 1.

Unless someone cheated they would be expected to pass and all that's needed is to match previous results and pass.

That would mean less than 10% of people failed the etray... big divergence from previous comps?

APcomp wrote: »
    Where you get 320 from?

Batch 1.1 was 4 interview boards with 8 interviews per board per day for 5 days = 160 interviews.

If batch 1.2 is the same again, that's 320.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Hi all,

I've been called to Stage 3 for Regional positions.
    Could someone who has already done the e- tray tell me , are the answers shown in multiple choice form ?or do you type out response yourself?

Do emails arrive while doing the exercise or are they already there from start ?

I've never done an e- tray before so don't know what what level difficulty to expect.......

Thanks,

Hi all,

Could someone who has already done the e- tray tell me , are the answers shown in multiple choice form ?or do you type out response yourself?

Do emails arrive while doing the exercise or are they already there from start ?

I've never done an e- tray before so don't know what what level difficulty to expect.......

Thanks,
    Do the practice it follows similar format

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

That would mean less than 10% of people failed the etray... big divergence from previous comps?

I think the fail rate was up to 40% in some previous competitions- which is why it was brought forward to Stage 3. Aka when they held it on the same day as the interview- a very high minority of candidates *got* the interview- but failed the etray- so essentially the time of the interview boards had been wholly wasted on candidates who failed the process for entirely different reasons. The frequency that this occurred was such that the entire process was highly inefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Thanks for your responses. A friend of mine did the situation judgement test at verification stage( stage 3) and failed it. He said it was a different format to that at Stage 1. Did anyone else find this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Hi all,

Thanks,

Me too. The practice one is the way to go. My first time also doing it. 4 hour afternoon slog. Ah well! Has to be done. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

You will be required to complete one large written task, as well as a smaller written task, in order to pass the test. In addition to this, you will have to reply to a number of email queries which take the form of multiple-choice answers; these will require a very small amount of abstraction (addition/subtraction, close reference to background material, etc.) in order to answer.

Some people will obviously fail the test but it is grand overall if you maintain focus on completing the exercises on time and in line with what is required of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Bill1982

Still waiting on my clearance from Garda Vetting. Anyone one been through it. I was told I needed 2 , they gave a timeline of 12 weeks for second one . Does it really take 12 weeks ?

Advertisement