Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

AP2019 wrote: »
    I sent an email to PAS after my interview to ask them, didn’t want to ask the board.

Ah fair enough. Someone in batch 1.1 was told it would be January before they got their results but they were released two days after the interviews finished so you'd never know. Although the previous panel was expiring on the 31st December so there was more pressure on them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

AP2019 wrote: »
    I sent an email to PAS after my interview to ask them, didn’t want to ask the board.

I’ve posted this before on here but in the 2016 comp I was told that it would be at least two weeks before the results would issue... two hours later they were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JDoherty1560

Just out of Stage 3 pysch tests for regional applicants. The etray was intense enough!! How long will we have to wait before we're informed if we've made it to the final interview and whats the lead in time for the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Just out of Stage 3 pysch tests for regional applicants. The etray was intense enough!! How long will we have to wait before we're informed if we've made it to the final interview and whats the lead in time for the interview?

Batch 1 stage 3 results were out 12 days after the tests, which gave Batch 1.1 just 7 days notice for the first interviews in the run up to Christmas. Batch 1.2 had a bit more generous lead in of 10 days to the first interview. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JDoherty1560

Batch 1 stage 3 results were out 12 days after the tests, which gave Batch 1.1 just 7 days notice for the first interviews in the run up to Christmas. Batch 1.2 had a bit more generous lead in of 10 days to the first interview. Good luck!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Expected to but not always. I found the Stage 1 quite easy but yesterday at Stage 3 verification my mind just went blank and very little hope i passed the numerical reasoning. I've done lots before for other grades and passed no problem but yesterday i just hit a wall and couldn't get my head round the simplest things. Late night before on second job that couldn't be helped certainly didn't help etc but sure there's always the next one! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FlexBrowne

I have to say that I would rather sit 5 interviews a day than sit the tests! Most i speak to are the opposite but the e-tray and situational exercise i find ok. The maths for someone who simply doesn't use maths every day i find difficult. Not that they are at all, but the time pressure kills it. Passed lots before but recently at Stage 3 verification on the numeric i just flunked it. Can't explain why but mind went blank on the most basic processes. Onwards as i won't be getting an interview from this competition. Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    I have to say that I would rather sit 5 interviews a day than sit the tests! Most i speak to are the opposite but the e-tray and situational exercise i find ok. The maths for someone who simply doesn't use maths every day i find difficult. Not that they are at all, but the time pressure kills it. Passed lots before but recently at Stage 3 verification on the numeric i just flunked it. Can't explain why but mind went blank on the most basic processes. Onwards as i won't be getting an interview from this competition. Best of luck to all!

That's a tough day at the office. Did you answer all questions? Even if they were complete guesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

For anyone who has already done the Stage 3 tests, would you mind telling me roughly how long the session took please?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Veledan22 wrote: »
    For anyone who has already done the Stage 3 tests, would you mind telling me roughly how long the session took please?

4 hours

• Advertisement

FlexBrowne wrote: »

Hope you still get the call a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mariamujer

I did a dreadful interview. Forgot the question I was asked twice. Was asked detailed specifics and could not get my good examples in. Didn’t feel
    I had a chance to showcase all the hard work I’ve been doing for past years. It’s a long process to do badly at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭akasudonim

Veledan22 wrote: »

A little over the 4 hrs - you definitely need to be there 15 minutes beforehand. I walked in yesterday at 12:45 and left the building at 17:25. And missed lunch before arrived! It's fairly intensive, and I found I had tired eyes by teh time it was over - a lot of staring at the screen!
    Do the prep. Become familiar with it - that'll help for the etray stuff. Also if you dont work with numbers daily, do some practice with calculator getting percentages, increasing and decreasing numbers and by a % etc. Also I found for the numerics yesterday I rounded the numbers and 'roughed' the totals, in some cases it worked, in others two answers were too close and you needed to use accurate figures, but it does speed it up. Time is the pressure - in all of the tests actually - and that's probably one of teh key measures too - how you manage the time and stress.
    Good luck.

akasudonim wrote: »
    A little over the 4 hrs - you definitely need to be there 15 minutes beforehand. I walked in yesterday at 12:45 and left the building at 17:25. And missed lunch before arrived! It's fairly intensive, and I found I had tired eyes by teh time it was over - a lot of staring at the screen!
    Do the prep. Become familiar with it - that'll help for the etray stuff. Also if you dont work with numbers daily, do some practice with calculator getting percentages, increasing and decreasing numbers and by a % etc. Also I found for the numerics yesterday I rounded the numbers and 'roughed' the totals, in some cases it worked, in others two answers were too close and you needed to use accurate figures, but it does speed it up. Time is the pressure - in all of the tests actually - and that's probably one of teh key measures too - how you manage the time and stress.
    Good luck.

Good advice.

Remember these tests are designed to put you under pressure, you are meant to feel under pressure during them.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dan_dublin

For those who are worrying about the numeric, you only need to get about half right.

Might be worth scanning each question for difficulty and moving past the hairy ones so you can make sure of your marks on the easier ones.

Consider "banking" the easoer

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Mariamujer wrote: »
    I did a dreadful interview. Forgot the question I was asked twice. Was asked detailed specifics and could not get my good examples in. Didn’t feel
    I had a chance to showcase all the hard work I’ve been doing for past years. It’s a long process to do badly at the end.

I hear you ! it's a tough , intense interview, I'm not too hopeful.

Did you only do it today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Does anyone know when the current round of testing ends? I can't remember the options I had when booking. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dan_dublin

For those who are worrying about the numeric, you only need to get about half right.

Might be worth scanning each question for difficulty and moving past the hairy ones so you can make sure of your marks on the easier ones.

Consider "banking" the easier ones and throwing the most difficult and time consuming questions overboard. At least half the questions will be reasonably straight forward, some will even be easy. Nail those and allow yourself to move swiftly on with the longer, multi-calculation questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

nazzy wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the current round of testing ends? I can't remember the options I had when booking. TIA

I think that Wednesday the 27th is the last day of testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

For batch 1.1 interviews the results came out less than 2 days after the last interview! C'mon PAS! Killing me! :o

• Advertisement

APcomp wrote: »
    For batch 1.1 interviews the results came out less than 2 days after the last interview! C'mon PAS! Killing me! :o

I had a feeling it would be today. Tomorrow at 4.59 probably!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

exact same here ! I was convinced it would be today

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mariamujer

CBCB wrote: »

I did it on Monday 11th. I did it two years before as well and missed out on one competency area. Felt I did a worse interview this time. If I most likely don’t get it this time I’m not trying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Brody78

Mariamujer wrote: »
    CBCB wrote: »

I did it on Monday 11th. I did it two years before as well and missed out on one competency area. Felt I did a worse interview this time. If I most likely don’t get it this time I’m not trying again.

Me too ! First time but never wanna put myself through it again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just in time to ruin my weekend...I'd say you are right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

So today is the day, right... RIGHT?! :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

Please let it be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see another AP role has come up in valuation office (DBA)......definitely going for that one!

Ya im not sure I want to have another weekend waiting. In saying that, im not too sure I want to get them at 4.59 on a Friday either!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

gmisk wrote: »
    I see another AP role has come up in valuation office (DBA)......definitely going for that one!
    It has very specific requirements.

Advertisement