Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dan_dublin

Ballpark estimate...how many AP vacancies are there currently or likely to emerge in Limerick and Clare between now and the end of the life or the panel...are we talking 5 or 25? Or 55?!

Maybe someone could guess if they had the percentage of civil servants in those counties and apply that to the number appointed from the last panel.

I don't have those numbers but if Limerick and Clare have 5% of the civil service and 250 APs get appointed, you might get 12. But I think Limerick/Clare have less than 5% of the service, so maybe fewer than 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

akasudonim wrote: »
    Yes I spoke to the lady named as the contact for the ICT AP competition and she said it's an entirely different competition and therefore requires it's own application. I think it's too late now?
    TBH I decided not to apply. I'll see how this one goes.
    I chatted to someone finally yday morning, it closed at 3pm yesterday.

It is a totally different competition.
    She said with the AP general one no guarantee at all I would get an ICT job (I have worked in that field for 15+ years).
    Though she did confirm I could turn down a position on the interdepartmental one (If I really didnt want it) and wait for another from the open.

So I put in an application for the ICT AP as well, though not sure I can face the same process again tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

dan_dublin wrote: »
    Maybe someone could guess if they had the percentage of civil servants in those counties and apply that to the number appointed from the last panel.

I don't have those numbers but if Limerick and Clare have 5% of the civil service and 250 APs get appointed, you might get 12. But I think Limerick/Clare have less than 5% of the service, so maybe fewer than 10?

I would wonder how many spots outside of Dublin are filled through mobility i.e. a department moving a Civil Servant working in Dublin to their preferred location. Lots of people accept Dublin positions in the hope that in time they'll get a transfer nearer home.

Would 10 AP vacancies in a county lead to 10 new APs being appointed to that county from competition panels? I have no idea but I suspect not...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

PCX wrote: »
    I would wonder how many spots outside of Dublin are filled through mobility i.e. a department moving a Civil Servant working in Dublin to their preferred location. Lots of people accept Dublin positions in the hope that in time they'll get a transfer nearer home.

Would 10 AP vacancies in a county lead to 10 new APs being appointed to that county from competition panels? I have no idea but I suspect not...

1:1:1

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

1:1:1

Care to elaborate?

Mobility:Open and/or Inter D:Internal?? If so is there an agreed breakdown of Open vs Inter D?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

gmisk wrote: »

So I put in an application for the ICT AP as well, though not sure I can face the same process again tbh!

It could potentially be just a short listing process and interviews instead of all these multistage exam stuff. The information pamphlet for the AP ICT says interviews are likely in March/April and the pamphlet for HEO ICT says interviews are likely in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Care to elaborate?

Mobility:Open and/or Inter D:Internal?? If so is there an agreed breakdown of Open vs Inter D?

It’s my understanding that departments are supposed to take an equal amount from the three streams (open, interd and internal). However, they don’t always follow this approach and can end up “owing” places to a particular stream, which then has to be rectified over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JDoherty1560

dan_dublin wrote: »

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It could potentially be just a short listing process and interviews instead of all these multistage exam stuff. The information pamphlet for the AP ICT says interviews are likely in March/April and the pamphlet for HEO ICT says interviews are likely in March.

Likely, that's how the previous ict Heo comp went. Shortlisting based off application and then interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Currently there is no mobility scheme for an AP to transfer from Dublin to a regional department. The civil service have been promising this scheme for last few years but keep on putting ut back. I have been told it will be early 2020 before mibility for APs or HEOs will ne rolled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Currently there is no mobility scheme for an AP to transfer from Dublin to a regional department. The civil service have been promising this scheme for last few years but keep on putting ut back. I have been told it will be early 2020 before mibility for APs or HEOs will ne rolled out.

AHCPS Head Office rep said it was due in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

As of lunchtime 22nd Feb the panels were as follows:

Open: 53
    Inter-D: 39

Contacted for clearance as opposed to placed.

Any updates since 10 days ago?

Also I know this has been asked before but I have seen different answers, does anyone know how many in total are on the Open panel batch 1.1? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sy Snootles

APcomp wrote: »

Also I know this has been asked before but I have seen different answers, does anyone know how many in total are on the Open panel batch 1.1? Thanks

No update and no idea of numbers, I'm afraid. Although as I said, 66 Open and 49 Inter-D are the highest numbers I've seen and there has been no advance on those as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

No update and no idea of numbers, I'm afraid. Although as I said, 66 Open and 49 Inter-D are the highest numbers I've seen and there has been no advance on those as yet.

Low 70s and low 50s respectively for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JPX111

I am in the 40's and started clearance yesterday!

JPX111 wrote: »

Open or Inter-D..?

Open or Inter-D..?

Interdepartmental

Interdepartmental

Thanks. I'm 49 and am hanging for an offer..

Interdepartmental

Low, mid or high? Just dying for an indication of batch size as they’re pulling from the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The batch size seems to be in the 70s open, 50s inter-d.

That was tge highest pm'd to me a few weeks ago when I updated the competition status post.

By the looks of it theyll be into batch 1.2 by the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Handy11 wrote: »
    Low, mid or high? Just dying for an indication of batch size as they’re pulling from the panel

Mid 40's!! Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer!!

Now the nervous wait to see where I am assigned......

According to the lads in CSHR, Health and Justice are taking the lion's share of new APs with Jobs also taking some. Still, could be anywhere, really.

Thanks for that - best of luck!!

The batch size seems to be in the 70s open, 50s inter-d.....

I meant the batch sizes that they’re pulling for clearance. Don’t think it goes individually. Might be 4 or 5 at a time. Gives an indication of how quick the numbers can jump.

Cheers though!

Presumably you only go into clearance if you're a non-civil servant or if you are currently serving, you're going to Justice or some such..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Footage from the e-tray room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Presumably you only go into clearance if you're a non-civil servant or if you are currently serving, you're going to Justice or some such..?

Existing civil servants will go into clearance but just to cover issues like sick leave history or any other such issue.

The only reason for Garda/security clearance for an existing civil servant is Justice or other similar sensitive posting

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

I suppose it’s wishful thinking to hope that the batch 2 etray results would be out at the end of this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Shortlisting appeal results are being communicated today so that might delay issuing of results while PAS bring successful appellants in quickly for tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

dee75 wrote: »
    Shortlisting appeal results are being communicated today so that might delay issuing of results while PAS bring successful appellants in quickly for tests.

Hopefully you get good news, Dee!

Advertisement