Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Riskymove wrote: »
    Existing civil servants will go into clearance but just to cover issues like sick leave history or any other such issue.

The only reason for Garda/security clearance for an existing civil servant is Justice or other similar sensitive posting

Not necessarily. When I was promoted to HEO in an internal competition, I had to get Garda clearance. Would probably depend on the Department

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Hopefully you get good news, Dee!

I did, thanks Tauren!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

dee75 wrote: »
    I did, thanks Tauren!!

Well done, definitely worth querying it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

Hi Everyone,

I only registered today as I found the comments and advise very good! So thank you very much.

Could I please ask, the people who got 106 , what is their order of merit from stage 1 in the
    interdepartmental stream? I have gathered from previous posts that 106 in open is around the 1500's but
    I didn't see anything for interdepartmental. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

I did, thanks Tauren!!

Congrats! Now making me query my decision not to appeal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just wondering, on what grounds would people be appealing at this stage? Are people appealing the shortlisting procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

delricyo wrote: »
    Not necessarily. When I was promoted to HEO in an internal competition, I had to get Garda clearance. Would probably depend on the Department

Was this standard Garda vetting which takes a matter of days or the extended clearance process which takes months?

Just wondering, on what grounds would people be appealing at this stage? Are people appealing the shortlisting procedure?

Yes (in my case).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dan_dublin

Quick panel 1.1 update:

InterD: 48
    Open: ??

Seems it won't be too long before panelists from 1.2 will hear something. 3 weeks I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

dee75 wrote:
    I did, thanks Tauren!!

Brilliant news Dee - do you know when you'll sit the tests? I expect all 1.2 results will follow then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

nazzy wrote: »
    Brilliant news Dee - do you know when you'll sit the tests? I expect all 1.2 results will follow then.

You mean 2.1. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

APcomp wrote: »
    You mean 2.1. :pac:

And also somewhat confusingly 1.1 regional!

APcomp wrote:
    You mean 2.1.

Ara JEEEEZ! I do surely.

I'm 1.1 regional so I think I musta muddled the two. Too early!

Indeed. I think it's crazy the regionals are not done yet, those on 1.1 and 1.2, if we have a regional selection as well as Dublin/Kildare/Meath (which we would have to have selected to be interviewed in 1.1 or 1.2) will have no sight of the regional panel before we have to decide on our offer of a placement in Dublin/Kildare/Meath, crazy. Sure enough we can turn it down and wait to see what happens with the regional panels, but that is us done for the Dublin/Kildare/Meath panel for good then - quite a big risk! Ridiculous system! Would take a brave and stupid person to turn down the offer for Dublin/Kildare/Meath on that basis, because the numbers required in other counties with mostly be very minimal and the panel could expire without being placed at all, and we would then find ourselves two years down the line and back at square 1. There has to be a better way.

Indeed. I think it's crazy the regionals are not done yet, those on 1.1 and 1.2, if we have a regional selection as well as Dublin/Kildare/Meath (which we would have to have selected to be interviewed in 1.1 or 1.2) will have no sight of the regional panel before we have to decide on our offer of a placement in Dublin/Kildare/Meath, crazy. Sure enough we can turn it down and wait to see what happens with the regional panels, but that is us done for the Dublin/Kildare/Meath panel for good then - quite a big risk! Ridiculous system! Would take a brave and stupid person to turn down the offer for Dublin/Kildare/Meath on that basis, because the numbers required in ither counties with mostly be very minimal and the panel could expire without being placed at all, and we would then find ourselves two years down the line and back at square 1. There has to be a better way.

I'm personally hoping that because of this situation there'll be a rocket up their asses to get our results out.

I'm personally hoping that because of this situation there'll be a rocket up their asses to get our results out.

Do you mean for the current etrays etc. (2 weeks ago)? Sure they have to give notice for interview (2 weeks), carry out the interviews (2 weeks), compile and issue the results (~1 week). That's all after they issue the etray etc. results, so we are talking late April before the regionals are out. Meanwhile they will be finished appointing 1.1 before the end of March, and those in the top quarter or third of 1.2 will also have had to make their decision by that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It has been a big problem with recent competitions for various grades, those who come into later batches are in a much better position to decide their own fate where there is a Dublin/regional option selected by the candidate, compared to those who were in the first batch.

The regional batches are established later in the competition and those who come on stream in batches 2 and beyond have a much better picture what their chances are of getting a regional post and so can make a better decision when first offered a Dublin post.

ParkRunner wrote: »
    It has been a big problem with recent competitions for various grades, those who come into later batches are in a much better position to decide their own fate where there is a Dublin/regional option selected by the candidate, compared to those who were in the first batch.

The regional batches are established later in the competition and those who come on stream in batches 2 and beyond have a much better picture what their chances are of getting a regional post and so can make a better decision when first offered a Dublin post.

Absolutely ridiculous system. So I should have done worse in my interview in the campaign to have more control of my fate.

Hi All. Just wondering if anyone who got 106 after stage 1 tests, could post their order of merit in the interdepartmental stream. Thanks

Absolutely ridiculous system. So I should have done worse in my interview in the campaign to have more control of my fate.

Exactly, the only advantage of finishing higher and take a Dublin post is that you get established sooner and so potentially could look for a transfer to a regional post sooner. But at least once you’re in a Dublin post you’re in, the regional offer may never come

• Advertisement

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Exactly, the only advantage of finishing higher and take a Dublin post is that you get established sooner and so potentially could look for a transfer to a regional post sooner. But at least once you’re in a Dublin post you’re in, the regional offer may never come

:mad:

Out of curiousity, do you know how PAS handle those from 1.1 and 1.2 who do decide to take the risk and wait for a regional offer?

Let's say 80 people from 1.1 and 70 from 1.2 (making up some rough numbers). Let's say of these 150 people, 10 decide to take the risk and wait for the regionals. Are those 10 then placed at the very top of their chosen county (outside Dublin/kildare/Meath)? Ahead of everyone interviewed in the next batch of interviews - batch 2.1?

I ask because there is likely to be people who only put down a regional location and did better on the unsupervised tests than those 10 people, who did better on the supervised tests and etray than those 10 people, and maybe even better interview scores too, albeit at a later interview batch...?

:mad:

Out of curiousity, do you know how PAS handle those from 1.1 and 1.2 who do decide to take the risk and wait for a regional offer?

Let's say 80 people from 1.1 and 70 from 1.2 (making up some rough numbers). Let's say of these 150 people, 10 decide to take the risk and wait for the regionals. Are those 10 then placed at the very top of their chosen county (outside Dublin/kildare/Meath)? Ahead of everyone interviewed in the next batch of interviews - batch 2.1?

I ask because there is likely to be people who only put down a regional location and did better on the unsupervised tests than those 10 people, who did better on the supervised tests and etray than those 10 people, and maybe even better interview scores too, albeit at a later interview batch...?

I’m not 100% sure on that. I think the first regional batch is just determined by the final interview score, regardless of what batch they came from but I could be entirely wrong.

nazzy wrote: »

Tomorrow!!!!!

Tomorrow!!!!!

Oh wow. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Tomorrow!!!!!

That's not much notice! Best of luck with it.

dee75 wrote:
    Tomorrow!!!!!

Jeeeeeez!!!! Best of luck!

Sorry to annoy you all with my question, but could anyone who got around 106 from stage 1 of this competition and is an existing civil servant, post what their OOM was for the interdepartmental stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sy Snootles

Summer2019 wrote: »
    Sorry to annoy you all with my question, but could anyone who got around 106 from stage 1 of this competition and is an existing civil servant, post what their OOM was for the interdepartmental stream.

If it's any use, 118 got me to 384 on the Order Of Merit.

Thanks very much.

It seems every number counts and there is a big difference in the OOM between point totals.
    I am much lower and thought if I knew what 106 was, I would know whether to give up completely and take another offer or not.

• Advertisement

By the way you did amazing! Well done!

Advertisement