Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Also failed the job simulation - and as a result they didn't even bother marking the etray! Really disappointed with that - it's my 6th time doing the test and I've never failed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

nazzy wrote: »
    I would also like to know this.

Congrats to all that passed!

Im sure you can, but I dont know if it is worth your/my while. The answers were either right or wrong. The only way an appeal would be successful is if they marked the tests wrong. Which would mean that a lot of people above would be getting revised results

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Through to stage 4, the bikini round.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Does anyone know if everyone who passed gets called for Interview ? Message said interview dates to follow so I'm hoping that means Yes.

Everyone who passed will be called. In batch 1 they did split up those that passed into two interview batches but considering batch 3 are due in for supervised testing at the end of April I don't think they will do that with ye. I would expect another message from PAS with an interview date by the end of this week. 2 weeks notice usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Also failed the job simulation - and as a result they didn't even bother marking the etray! Really disappointed with that - it's my 6th time doing the test and I've never failed it!

Same boat as you. Very annoying. It is the one area that there is rarely time pressure. And it is the area that you cant practice for too. I even had time to go back over the full test again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

I just got my score, 109 for job simul/ e tray.

The message said an interview date will follow. Does anyone know if the score level stays for stage 4 or do we all go back to zero?

Thanks all! Big relief to finally hear result!

Well done! That's a great score. I got low 90s.

My score in 2016 competition was 140!!! Bit worried for my brain and what's happened to it since....

Commiserations to those who didn't get through. If it's any comfort, I really think it was marked quite severely this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

Veledan22 wrote: »
    Can't believe it, I got through too! :)

I wonder how long they will wait until they let us know about the interviews. Does anyone know how long it was for batch 1.1 and 1.2?

Congrats to everyone else who got through and commiserations to those who didn't.

It was one week’s notice for Batch 1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just found out I got shortlisted.

I'm sure it wasn't given out, but does anyone know what the ration of shortlisted to non-shortlisted was? Just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

nazzy wrote: »
    I would also like to know this.

Congrats to all that passed!

I would imagine the only grounds for appeal would be the etray as it can be marked differently

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

Well done ! Are you from the new batch that got 100 in oom in first round of aptitude tests?

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    Just found out I got shortlisted.

I'm sure it wasn't given out, but does anyone know what the ration of shortlisted to non-shortlisted was? Just out of curiosity.

Well done ! Are you from the new batch that got 100 in oom in first round of aptitude tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Summer2019 wrote: »

Yep, that's me. Found out during the week I'd been shortlisted. I know a lot of people that were culled. So very relieved.

What happens now? Do they go through the entire process (verified tests, e tray and interview) for this batch before shortlisting the next batch?

Yep, that's me. Found out during the week I'd been shortlisted. I know a lot of people that were culled. So very relieved.

What happens now? Do they go through the entire process (verified tests, e tray and interview) for this batch before shortlisting the next batch?

I am new in this process, but I believe so, that's what happens, but on this occasion I think the results of the previous batch were out today but they called another batch through shortlisting yesterday, so obviously there are different teams in PAS working on different batches at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Verified tests and etray anyway.
    The batch ahead of you are still awaiting interview.

It seems like they shortlist one batch as they line up interviews for the batch ahead.

However they work it, you'll remain within your batch and be placed when the batches ahead of you are all placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 paydembills

What happens to all the people on the 1.1 and 1.2 Dublin panel who expressed Regional preferences also. How will they work out OOM on that
    as presumably some who scored lower initially were called ahead of others because they looked for Dublin. Any ideas how this worked on any previous panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Thanks Dee,
    I think they marked e- tray very severely. I usually do well in this type of assessment and badly in job sim, but this time both scores were in early 50s. This is my 3rd time going for AP comp so delighted to finally get through these horrible horrible tests.
    dee75 wrote: »
    Well done! That's a great score. I got low 90s.

My score in 2016 competition was 140!!! Bit worried for my brain and what's happened to it since....

Commiserations to those who didn't get through. If it's any comfort, I really think it was marked quite severely this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I went back to check in the thread and the cut off between batch 1.1 and 1.2 seems to have been 106 which was around the halfway mark in the pool of candidates. (Open to correction there, might have been more in 1.2)

It's the only gauge we have of the spread of scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Beanzy

Am considering an appeal as I did well in all of the tests but just below the qualifying score for the e-tray.

Quite frankly bemused by this, as I genuinely thought I’d done really well in this on the day. Got everything done, am well used to report-writing and I was 100% convinced I’d score highly here. My biggest worry was the numerical as I had to rush some answers but that was fine.

Not public sector, so unsure what the appeal process is and if it’s even worth it. Do they work?

Disappointed but more perplexed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

After that disaster of an e-tray, I'm stunned with the result.

Good stunned or bad stunned?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JDoherty1560

Beanzy wrote: »
    Am considering an appeal as I did well in all of the tests but just below the qualifying score for the e-tray.

Quite frankly bemused by this, as I genuinely thought I’d done really well in this on the day. Got everything done, am well used to report-writing and I was 100% convinced I’d score highly here. My biggest worry was the numerical as I had to rush some answers but that was fine.

Not public sector, so unsure what the appeal process is and if it’s even worth it. Do they work?

Beanzy, im in the same boat. I thought I did quite well in the etray but just failed it, and like you, I got it completed in time and felt my layout and content etc. was appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Beanzy wrote: »

Some people were successful in appealing their initial shortlisting result. I’m not sure what the process is for the etray though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Hlanaayes

Just scraped through on etray and was sure I nailed it! For those who thought they did well but failed - I wonder if there's things in it that you might have done differently than what they expected/wanted. For instance, there were two requests for information via email from a Board member - I immediately stopped writing the report and responded to those, it seemed that was a test to see did you understand task prioritisation. Perhaps there is less of a weighting in the marking scheme towards the deliverables and more for those kind of considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Agghhhj.....Flew the Verbal Reasoning and Management Scenarios and passed the Numerical Reasoning comfortably. Only 38 in the e-tray so the other three matter for nowt as do stage 1 and 2. Oh well. I presume appealing is a waste of time....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

Reflecting back, in a bid to improve my online job sim score, I chose more decisive types of choices on the six point scale in the supervised job sim when compared to the online job sim. This seems to have drastically reduced my score (a 21 point differential). It is a bit disappointing in that I thought I did the e-Tray well and would have liked to know what my score was.

Reflecting back, in a bid to improve my online job sim score, I chose more decisive types of choices on the six point scale in the supervised job sim when compared to the online job sim. This seems to have drastically reduced my score (a 21 point differential). It is a bit disappointing in that I thought I did the e-Tray well and would have liked to know what my score was.

Yeah, I dropped something like 20 points, too, between the two tests - but in my case I honestly didn't try doing anything too different, and I think most of my answers would have been towards the middle rather than the ends of the scale, except for the really obvious "that's a dumb thing to do!" questions. /sigh... one of these years...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 paydembills

I had an 18 point difference between the unsupervised and the supervised Job Sim. I haven't a clue what I did differently!
    It's disappointing they wouldn't score your E-tray for you

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

I had an 18 point difference between the unsupervised and the supervised Job Sim. I haven't a clue what I did differently!
    It's disappointing they wouldn't score your E-tray for you

I'm in a similar situation, I had a 15 point difference with the Job Simulation and I have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Veledan22 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation, I had a 15 point difference with the Job Simulation and I have no idea why.

12 point difference in the Job simulation and like others I didn't do anything different than before.

Difference between Job Sim 2016 verification and 2018 verification was 27 points.

I'm sorry to hear of some of you not getting through. I appealed the shortlisting successfully so I think you have nothing to lose by appealing your scores but I don't know how you do it.

dee75 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear of some of you not getting through. I appealed the shortlisting successfully so I think you have nothing to lose by appealing your scores but I don't know how you do it.

Feck it, you're right - nothing to lose by putting in an appeal, I'll do it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

Feck it, you're right - nothing to lose by putting in an appeal, I'll do it today.

I will file an appeal as well thanks to dee75's encouragement. If the E-Tray is supposed to reflect real life job simulation, I would like to know my score there and if it matches the other theoretical job simulation where I was disqualified.

The differential in the negative direction between online job simulation (100 responses) score and a supposedly technically equivalent supervised job simulation (50 responses) score seems drastic even for many of those who made it.

Advertisement