Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 paydembills

I will file an appeal as well thanks to dee75's encouragement. If the E-Tray is supposed to reflect real life job simulation, I would like to know my score there and if it matches the other theoretical job simulation where I was disqualified.

The differential in the negative direction between online job simulation (100 responses) score and a supposedly technically equivalent supervised job simulation (50 responses) score seems drastic even for many of those who made it.

I think the difference in the same person doing the supposedly same Job Sim test and getting wildly different results depending on the day just shows how feckin arbitrary this whole selection process is.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

I think the difference in the same person doing the supposedly same Job Sim test and getting wildly different results depending on the day just shows how feckin arbitrary this whole selection process is.

Does anyone know what the pass rate is after shortlisting and after verification supervised tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

I had a 1 point differential in all 3 , even though I felt the numerical was a lot more difficult . I suppose consistency is a good thing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Summer2019 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the pass rate is after shortlisting and after verification supervised tests?

Very roughly speaking, I think it's about 50% at each stage with around 900 batch 1 candidates after stage 1 translating to about 120 panel positions.

Very roughly speaking, I think it's about 50% at each stage with around 900 batch 1 candidates after stage 1 translating to about 120 panel positions.

Thanks very much. Wow...that's why they are going through the batches at a faster rate this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Does anyone know how many regional.positions there are likely to be? As I'm only interested in Donegal, it probably requires someone to retire there for one position to be available. There are probably only 10 APs currently in the whole county. .... . Beginning to wonder why i bothered going through this when its unlikely there will be an available position between now in Oct 2020......anyone any info on numbers of regional positions from 2016....thanks

Does anyone know how many regional.positions there are likely to be? As I'm only interested in Donegal, it probably requires someone to retire there for one position to be available. There are probably only 10 APs currently in the whole county. .... . Beginning to wonder why i bothered going through this when its unlikely there will be an available position between now in Oct 2020......anyone any info on numbers of regional positions from 2016....thanks

Hi Starlight321 are you only interested in a particular department? Where is that 10 figure coming from? Donegal has Revenue and I think DSP in Letterkenny. Depending on Brexit there could be several opportunities given it's a border county.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Beanzy

Hlanaayes wrote: »
    Just scraped through on etray and was sure I nailed it! For those who thought they did well but failed - I wonder if there's things in it that you might have done differently than what they expected/wanted. For instance, there were two requests for information via email from a Board member - I immediately stopped writing the report and responded to those, it seemed that was a test to see did you understand task prioritisation. Perhaps there is less of a weighting in the marking scheme towards the deliverables and more for those kind of considerations.

That’s exactly what I did too - just applying the logic of my workplace, a request from someone senior would be a priority. So disappointed - I really thought I’d done v well in this and juggling a lot of balls in the air on a daily basis is what my current job entails. Going to see how to appeal...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Hi Starlight321 are you only interested in a particular department? Where is that 10 figure coming from? Donegal has Revenue and I think DSP in Letterkenny. Depending on Brexit there could be several opportunities given it's a border county.

Hi there, as there are only 2 depts based there, and Revenue share APs with Sligo, i am basing my estimate on the size of DSP and have heard there are currently 4 in Letterkenny and 2-3 in Buncrana so numbers are very low. I'm currenly based in Dublin so hoping for the move back.
    I hadn't thought of impact of Vrexit, thats given me hope. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SPHarry

Hi all, I'm new to the CS and have been placed in panel 1.2, but have not been contacted for clearance yet. Can anyone tell me what is involved with the clearance process? I've worked in my current company for 9 years and everyone in HR knows me pretty well...and are likely to talk if approached for a reference. I'm wondering what the gap between clearance and job start is usually like, as it could make for an uncomfortable few weeks/months! I also know that the policy at my current company is to not provide 'references', as such, but to merely confirm dates & positions.

Btw, this thread has been so helpful to read - so thank you! It's very heartening to see people encouraging each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dee75 wrote: »
    Well done! That's a great score. I got low 90s.

My score in 2016 competition was 140!!! Bit worried for my brain and what's happened to it since....

Commiserations to those who didn't get through. If it's any comfort, I really think it was marked quite severely this time.

Same boat here. My score was way down on 2016- however, a pass is a pass.

Now for the AO interview next week- looks like another all-day event.........

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

SPHarry wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new to the CS and have been placed in panel 1.2, but have not been contacted for clearance yet. Can anyone tell me what is involved with the clearance process? I've worked in my current company for 9 years and everyone in HR knows me pretty well...and are likely to talk if approached for a reference. I'm wondering what the gap between clearance and job start is usually like, as it could make for an uncomfortable few weeks/months! I also know that the policy at my current company is to not provide 'references', as such, but to merely confirm dates & positions.

Btw, this thread has been so helpful to read - so thank you! It's very heartening to see people encouraging each other.

Congrats on your placing.

As someone coming from outside the Civil Service they won't contact your HR directly without contacting you first to ask if you wish to proceed. So you will hear from PAS before your employer does.

Same boat here. My score was way down on 2016- however, a pass is a pass.

Now for the AO interview next week- looks like another all-day event.........

Conductor, congratulations ! Are you in the CS? If so what grade are you if you don't mind me asking?

Clearance will also involve Garda Vetting and a more in depth security check if you end up being offered Justice or similar. That higher level clearance can take a few months. I presume they'd do that bit before contacting your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Has anyone from 1.2 been placed or are they still working through 1.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Tristram wrote: »
    Has anyone from 1.2 been placed or are they still working through 1.1?

still on 1.1, apparently they are mid 60s on the Open and according to posters on here it goes up to somewhere in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

Any indication of how far down the Interdepartmental panel on 1.1 they've gone? Will they be starting on the 1.2 Interdepartmental soon?

APcomp wrote: »
    still on 1.1, apparently they are mid 60s on the Open and according to posters on here it goes up to somewhere in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sy Snootles

AP2019 wrote: »
    Any indication of how far down the Interdepartmental panel on 1.1 they've gone? Will they be starting on the 1.2 Interdepartmental soon?

I'm 66 on Open and 49 on Inter-D and they haven't gotten to me yet. Apparently they were on 48 in the Inter-D about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

I'm 66 on Open and 49 on Inter-D and they haven't gotten to me yet. Apparently they were on 48 in the Inter-D about 2 weeks ago.

Sounds like you are literally the next one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

I’m not far behind you so will be glad to hear you’ve got news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Dub Counsel

Did anyone received this knock back decision too? Anyone appealed? Any positive outcome or just PAS rubber stamping initial decision?

''I refer to your application for the above mentioned recruitment competition and I regret to inform you that you are not among the candidates being invited to the next stage of the selection process.

A Shortlisting Board convened to shortlist based on the information contained on the application forms of those candidates who achieved a total score of 100 or higher at stage one - online assessment. Please note this is across all regions.

The Board examined the application forms against pre-determined criteria based on the requirements of the position. The Shortlisting Criteria adopted by the board was:

Candidates must have, at the level required for the Assistant Principal role, sufficient evidence of the following:

- Management / Leadership Experience

- Managing Projects/Operations

- Judgement, Analysis and Decision Making

The board’s comment in relation to your application was:

On their application form, candidate did not demonstrate, at the level required for the Assistant Principal role, sufficient evidence of Management / Leadership Experience, Managing Projects/Operations and Judgement, Analysis and Decision Making.

I would like to thank you for your participation in the selection process and wish you the best for the future.

Yours sincerely

Xxxx Xxxxx

Large Volume Recruitment''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

[

Copying and pasting entire correspondence from PAS into this thread, including peoples names is bad form.

By all means discuss it, but that feels a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

tigger123 wrote: »
    Copying and pasting entire correspondence from PAS into this thread, including peoples names is bad form.

By all means discuss it, but that feels a bit much.

And now you have quoted it so even if they delete or amend it will still be up here for the world to see :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Did anyone received this knock back decision too? Anyone appealed? Any positive outcome or just PAS rubber stamping initial decision?

Yes, at least one person posting here (Dee) appealed the shortlisting decision and was re-admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dub Counsel

Thanks for that. It gives me some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SPHarry

Killer K wrote: »
    Congrats on your placing.

As someone coming from outside the Civil Service they won't contact your HR directly without contacting you first to ask if you wish to proceed. So you will hear from PAS before your employer does.

Thanks! Is the clearance a formality - no criminal records here :), but I lived & worked abroad before my current role, so the reference bit is a bit tricky! How long does it typicaytake from offer to start, assuming a 'normal' dept. - i.e. not one that requires Garda clearance?

Thanks! Is the clearance a formality - no criminal records here :), but I lived & worked abroad before my current role, so the reference bit is a bit tricky! How long does it typicaytake from offer to start, assuming a 'normal' dept. - i.e. not one that requires Garda clearance?

I think all CS roles require Garda Clearance which typically takes around 5 weeks. I'm not sure if they check outside the State for Garda Clearance. They do for security clearance, which is the longer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

''I refer to your application for the above mentioned recruitment competition and I regret to inform you that you are not among the candidates being invited to the next stage of the selection process.

The board’s comment in relation to your application was:

On their application form, candidate did not demonstrate, at the level required for the Assistant Principal role, sufficient evidence of Management / Leadership Experience, Managing Projects/Operations and Judgement, Analysis and Decision Making.

''

Hi Dub Counsel

You can appeal the shortlisting outcome either informally or formally. Informally (when part of interim selection stage) has to be done less than 2 working days from date of notification (I was too late). Formally gives you a 4 working days after you receive the notification. If you look at the Candidate's Information Booklet that came out for the AP Competition it has information about how to appeal. Here is the link from the Booklet (if it works).

http://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/18164707_Review_Procedures_in_relation_to_the_Selection_Process.doc

From what I have learned, appeals are rarely successful - maybe around 5-10% depending on what stage you are appealing.

From the letter you quoted, it appears the shortlisting board have indicated that they found your application didn't qualify for any of the three headings they were considering applications under. That, unfortunately, means you are likely to have an uphill battle with an appeal.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Summer2019 wrote: »
    Conductor, congratulations ! Are you in the CS? If so what grade are you if you don't mind me asking?

Currently an EO- but only interested in promotion if its within certain geographical areas- life is too short to spend 3-4 hours a day in the car. I've already turned down promotions that I felt didn't make sense logistically. Not having a sizeable commute is something I highly value.

I'm familiar with a lot of people turning down offers (even on the regional panels- some counties are very geographically spreadout- look at Kildare for example).

• Advertisement

Currently an EO- but only interested in promotion if its within certain geographical areas- life is too short to spend 3-4 hours a day in the car. I've already turned down promotions that I felt didn't make sense logistically. Not having a sizeable commute is something I highly value.

I'm familiar with a lot of people turning down offers (even on the regional panels- some counties are very geographically spreadout- look at Kildare for example).
    It's great to have that type of resilience and perseverance.
    Good luck with this competition.

Advertisement