Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Hi all, My interview is on the 12th, and I just got the details of all of the board members, and chairperson. I'm struck by the fact that the panel will be all male, the only female will be the chairperson. As it stands, this is the case for every interview date with the exception of the 10th. Don't PAS have some obligation to gender balance on the panels?

The panel is 3 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Hi all, My interview is on the 12th, and I just got the details of all of the board members, and chairperson. I'm struck by the fact that the panel will be all male, the only female will be the chairperson. As it stands, this is the case for every interview date with the exception of the 10th. Don't PAS have some obligation to gender balance on the panels?

The panel is three people, one of whom is female.
    That meets their gender balance obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sarah_keegs

The panel is three people, one of whom is female.
    That meets their gender balance obligation.

So is the chairperson part of the panel? Is the PAS person just there for process?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 knockanroe

So is the chairperson part of the panel? Is the PAS person just there for process?

The PAS person is the note taker.

Just for info, my chairperson is male and the other two board members are female. My interview is on the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sarah_keegs

knockanroe wrote: »

Just for info, my chairperson is male and the other two board members are female. My interview is on the 9th.

Okay, got it. When we have panels where I work now, the chairperson is non voting...guess that isn’t the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

knockanroe wrote: »

Yep PAS rep is there to bring you in and take notes so will not ask any questions.

The chairperson and the two board members will take specific competencies to talk about individually so you will be addressing one person directly and they will not be cutting across each other asking you questions.

Just to note that there is more than one interview panel in operation for this- can only compare to my colleague who is in this batch as well and its completely different board members.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

Yep PAS rep is there to bring you in and take notes so will not ask any questions.

The chairperson and the two board members will take specific competencies to talk about individually so you will be addressing one person directly and they will not be cutting across each other asking you questions.

Just to note that there is more than one interview panel in operation for this- can only compare to my colleague who is in this batch as well and its completely different board members.

It seems that interviews are starting on the 3rd of April and finishing on the 12th of April, is that correct? So that's 8 days of interviews . How many interview boards are there, do we know apart from the 2 mentioned above?
    Maybe we can roughly work out how many people will be interviewed in this batch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Summer2019 wrote: »
    It seems that interviews are starting on the 3rd of April and finishing on the 12th of April, is that correct? So that's 8 days of interviews . How many interview boards are there, do we know apart from the 2 mentioned above?
    Maybe we can roughly work out how many people will be interviewed in this batch!!

Dates for my board are from 3rd to the 15th - weekends excluded so 9 days.
    No idea how many boards though or how many people they are going through in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

No idea how many boards though or how many people they are going through in one day.

Batch 1 had 4 boards doing 8 interviews each per day, so that's potentially 288 interviews over the 9 days, which sounds about right to me.

I can't imagine them going through more than 7 interviews a day. So if there are 3 boards x 7 candidates x 9 days = 189 people interviewed...(maybe I am completely wrong)

• Advertisement

Batch 1 had 4 boards doing 8 interviews each per day, so that's potentially 288 interviews over the 9 days, which sounds about right to me.

Really? That's a lot of interviews!!

Batch 1 was split into two sets of interviews. This batch is the same size as batch 1 but they're doing all the interviews together.

Batch 1 was split into two sets of interviews. This batch is the same size as batch 1 but they're doing all the interviews together.

They're also interviewing all 'Regional only' candidates to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hendrix77

Some one of you knows if they are going to get all the people that passed stage 1 a chance to get to stage 2?

They're also interviewing all 'Regional only' candidates to date.

That's included in my calculations.

The Dublin only group was 750 people. (Batch 1.1 and 1.2)

This group is everyone up to oom 1500 minus those 750, so it's another 750 people.

That's included in my calculations.

The Dublin only group was 750 people. (Batch 1.1 and 1.2)

This group is everyone up to oom 1500 minus those 750, so it's another 750 people.

Actually another poster said they have reached up to 2000 in oom in open and around 1200 in interd.

Actually another poster said they have reached up to 2000 in oom in open and around 1200 in interd.

They shortlisted batch 3 last week which I believe brings them that far.

Batch 2 was up to 1500 and it's that group who are being interviewed now.

They shortlisted batch 3 last week which I believe brings them that far.

Batch 2 was up to 1500 and it's that group who are being interviewed now.

I get what you mean. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HelloPeeps

I got details of my interview board today. I have worked in the same Department as one of them and had would have had dealings with them on a fairly remote basis - should I tell PAS?

I can’t remember any specific interactions but my role would have included assessing/allocating funding requests, reviewing business plans etc of their team.

From these potential 288 candidates being interviewed how many would actually get on a panel? Is. It 50% pass rate?

• Advertisement

Hendrix77 wrote: »
    Some one of you knows if they are going to get all the people that passed stage 1 a chance to get to stage 2?

It would be great if they did but who knows? I am in the same boat, passed all 3 tests in stage 1 but didn't score high enough to be called yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The chairperson, the two board members and the PAS representative for mine- are all female.

From these potential 288 candidates being interviewed how many would actually get on a panel? Is. It 50% pass rate?

It should be if it's consistent with batch 1.

Panel 1.1 is 70+ and panel 1.2 is 50+, so maybe 130 panel positions in total (Dublin).

Batch 2 will also have individual regional panels.

It should be if it's consistent with batch 1.

Panel 1.1 is 70+ and panel 1.2 is 50+, so maybe 130 panel positions in total (Dublin).

Batch 2 will also have individual regional panels.

They might call another batch or more to stage 2 by Christmas if they continue like this...

HelloPeeps wrote: »
    I got details of my interview board today. I have worked in the same Department as one of them and had would have had dealings with them on a fairly remote basis - should I tell PAS?

I can’t remember any specific interactions but my role would have included assessing/allocating funding requests, reviewing business plans etc of their team.

If and when the board member sees your name and feel it’s a conflict of interest they will remove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HelloPeeps

Thanks, that makes sense. It was a good while ago so they mightn't remember me.

They might call another batch or more to stage 2 by Christmas if they continue like this...

I wouldn't rule it out but I'd say they'll have enough in Batch 2 to meet demand for another 6 months or so, which is why I was surprised that they called Batch 3 already.

I wouldn't rule it out but I'd say they'll have enough in Batch 2 to meet demand for another 6 months or so, which is why I was surprised that they called Batch 3 already.

You are right...I shouldn't keep my hopes up.

The panel is open until October next year so I’d be amazed if a 4th wasn’t called.

Not sure what vacancies are like at AP but at AO there is massive demand.

• Advertisement

You are right...I shouldn't keep my hopes up.

Still 19 months to go on this competition, so at this stage based on progress to date it looks like they will get to batch 4 and maybe more at some stage. When that might happen depends on the rate of progress through Batches 2 and 3, so I would watch this space, and I hope your number comes up.

Advertisement