Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

minky123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the notice period I have to give if I resign whilemon probation? Thanks!

On peoplepoint it says you need to give one month's notice in the civil service at Assistant principal grade, but I didnt find anything in relation to what your notice period would be if you were on probation. An email or quick call to your HR section could clarify that.

Any update on where PAS is on Batch 2? Also did anyone from Batch 3 get interviewed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Summer2019 wrote: »
    Any update on where PAS is on Batch 2? Also did anyone from Batch 3 get interviewed yet?

Same as last Friday I believe, hasn’t moved a single place. See my post above

SFC1895 wrote: »
    Same as last Friday I believe, hasn’t moved a single place. See my post above

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭oodles19

So the fabled pay restoration round is from the 1st of September, all things being equal we should be expecting a lot of vacancies arising/movement on panels in the next few weeks as a result of people retiring?

I have to admit, as someone in Batch 3 looking to hear about an interview, the waiting is beginning to get to me!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Not wanting to defend PAS but they do put this standard line into most info booklets

“Regional Recruitment
    While the majority of vacancies arising will be in Dublin some may arise in other regions. On the application form candidates may select up to a maximum of two regions.”

Choosing a regional option without selecting Dublin as the other probably isn’t explained enough in terms of its consequences though

Only being allowed to choose two counties is utterly ridiculous and not being allowed to change your choices is just as bad considering it can take a couple of years from when a competition is announced and you choosing your “counties” until when you get an offer.

There has to be a better way.

Only being allowed to choose two counties is utterly ridiculous and not being allowed to change your choices is just as bad considering it can take a couple of years from when a competition is announced and you choosing your “counties” until when you get an offer.

I completely agree. When you look at the options people have in the CO/EO mobility scheme, both geographical and departmental, and the transparency built into it, the contrast with how competitions are run is quite glaring.

It's pretty obvious that PAS either lack the resources or the motivation to make the competition's they run more fair and less stressful for those of us participating in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It shows there’s absolutely no forward planning in departments when it comes to staffing levels. Based on staff age profile alone, they should have a good idea of how many vacancies will arise, and then advertise where expected vacancies will be, rather than creating pointless panels.
    Also, it doesn’t help that some departments abide by appointment apportionment rules, and others don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I agree. Perhaps instead of choosing counties, candidates could pick provinces and be offered maybe 3 positions to pick 1 from.
    For now if you get a location or role you don’t want the choices aren’t great - reject it or accept and stick it out in the hope a move will come up down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

oodles19 wrote: »
    I completely agree. When you look at the options people have in the CO/EO mobility scheme, both geographical and departmental, and the transparency built into it, the contrast with how competitions are run is quite glaring.

I've heard people complaining about that, too, though. E.g. someone trying to get CSO so they can work in north Dublin, but there's no way to choose location - so they might get Rathmines. And same with Garda civilians - you could end up literally in any garda station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 SPHarry

HelloPeeps wrote: »
    Hello All, I've just reached clearance (open competition) so the first step is getting the Garda vetting. The only issue is that on the phone to PAS today they said that they will want my references before I'm informed of what the assignment is?

Has anyone any experience of getting around this? I'd rather not tell my current employer until I know what the assignment is, just in case.

I had the exact same situation, but didn’t find any way around it. I had to let my employers know I was leaving before the formal offer came through...as that depended on their reference. It’s a tricky one! If you are sure you are leaving (sounds like you are?), then its just a case of letting them know a few weeks before you would have been letting them know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HelloPeeps

SPHarry wrote: »
    I had the exact same situation, but didn’t find any way around it. I had to let my employers know I was leaving before the formal offer came through...as that depended on their reference. It’s a tricky one! If you are sure you are leaving (sounds like you are?), then its just a case of letting them know a few weeks before you would have been letting them know anyway.

Hmmm, I'm not really sure if I am. It depends on the post that I'm offered tbh.

Any further update on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 harmarsuperstar

SFC1895 wrote: »
    Any further update on the panel?

Up to 20 on I/D and 28 on open.

So five posts filled in a week or so, going by the number posted on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marie_C

Any update for the Cork/Kerry open panels? Well done to everyone so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Augme

ParkRunner wrote: »

I agree. Perhaps instead of choosing counties, candidates could pick provinces and be offered maybe 3 positions to pick 1 from.
    For now if you get a location or role you don’t want the choices aren’t great - reject it or accept and stick it out in the hope a move will come up down the line

What of there isn't 3 positions to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jean15963

Any update on Laois / Offaly panels? Congrats to all those appointed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SonicHook

Zero movement on regional panels but that may well change with upcoming retirements.

So five posts filled in a week or so, going by the number posted on the 24th.

Does anyone one know how many are on this panel? 60 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭headtheball14

I haven't checked this for some time .
    I was placed below 28 on open and haven't heard anything to date

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

SonicHook wrote: »
    Zero movement on regional panels but that may well change with upcoming retirements.

Surely they know how many are due to retire by now?

Check your message board in Public jobs and if there is no message maybe ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 harmarsuperstar

I'm basing those numbers on how many people are ahead of me, but I'd check with PAS if I were you.

Great to hear. Hopefully this will pick up now in the coming weeks with the rumoured retirements

I'm in "Batch 3", received my appointment for Stage 4: Interview just there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

I'm in "Batch 3", received my appointment for Stage 4: Interview just there today.

Same here. Best of luck oodles

Same here. Best of luck oodles

Thanks, same to you Max!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Wonder will they invite a 4th batch to assessment stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Remind me wrote: »
    Wonder will they invite a 4th batch to assessment stage

Brexit could impact future recruitment within the Civil Service. I get the feeling Civil Service is recruiting thick and fast now for fear of an embargo, if we get a hard Brexit.

Advertisement