Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Brexit could impact future recruitment within the Civil Service. I get the feeling Civil Service is recruiting thick and fast now for fear of an embargo, if we get a hard Brexit.

I’d have thought it would have the opposite.

Every department has a Brexit section and going forward deal or no deal those sections will remain to negotiate, tidy up, plan etc...

I don’t see Brexit being a reason to slow down recruitment. It has ramped it up recently so depending on current numbers and how it plays out there could certainly be surplus staff Who would be re assigned but I don’t think embargo.

This panel is open for another 13 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Remind me wrote: »
    I don’t see Brexit being a reason to slow down recruitment.

I think the idea is that a no-deal Brexit would impact the economy and there would an impact on the money available to hire people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think the idea is that a no-deal Brexit would impact the economy and there would an impact on the money available to hire people.

Yep it's not the workload, etc.

It is the Exchequer balance sheet & funds available for civil service pay for new recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Summer2019

Yep it's not the workload, etc.

It is the Exchequer balance sheet & funds available for civil service pay for new recruitment.

Could I please just confirm the sequence of the process:

Stage 1 - aptitude tests at home
    Stage 2 - shortlisting of form
    Stage 3 - resit of all the aptitude tests & etray
    Stage 4 - Interview

If this is correct and they are commencing interviews of Batch 3 soon, then Batch 4 people will find out in the near future if they are shortlisted -depending on the form they submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Summer2019 wrote: »
    Could I please just confirm the sequence of the process:

Stage 1 - aptitude tests at home
    Stage 2 - shortlisting of form
    Stage 3 - resit of all the aptitude tests & etray
    Stage 4 - Interview

If this is correct and they are commencing interviews of Batch 3 soon, then Batch 4 people will find out in the near future if they are shortlisted -depending on the form they submitted.

Yes, that's the sequence, and I'd be surprised if they didn't call Batch 4 for etray by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'm in Batch 3 and got called for interview - yikes!

Do the interview panel have any idea of how you scored in the various areas (verbal, numerical, job simulation and e-tray) in State 3?

And do these scores impact your final score after the interview to determine your place on the OOM (assuming you pass the interview)?

Yes, that's the sequence, and I'd be surprised if they didn't call Batch 4 for etray by the end of the year.

Thanks for your quick reply and best of luck in your interview Max Musterman!
    Keep us posted on what you thought of it and how you got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

When are interviews beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SonicHook

Okay, so if' I'm in Batch 3 and I passed all elements of the assessment stage, should I expect to hear from PAS? Nada to date.

*Checks email for 400th time

Remind me wrote: »
    When are interviews beginning?

Mine is the week after next

• Advertisement

SonicHook wrote: »
    Okay, so if' I'm in Batch 3 and I passed all elements of the assessment stage, should I expect to hear from PAS? Nada to date.

*Checks email for 400th time

I'd have thought so. Maybe give them a ring

I'd have thought so. Maybe give them a ring

Rang them. Interviews are for Dublin candidates only.

Rang them. Interviews are for Dublin candidates only.

Can I just ask, did you have Dublin as your second choice or not listed in your choices at all?

Can I just ask, did you have Dublin as your second choice or not listed in your choices at all?

No, I didn't list Dublin. Culchie through and through!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

Hey, question for everyone who has started already. For the guys, I'm assuming it's shirt and tie every day, is it? Starting myself soon, so just getting prepped. Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

AP2019 wrote: »
    Hey, question for everyone who has started already. For the guys, I'm assuming it's shirt and tie every day, is it? Starting myself soon, so just getting prepped. Thanks !

As an AP, yes, in the vast majority of offices. You might get away without the tie on a Friday (but keep one in the office for emergencies).

No, I didn't list Dublin. Culchie through and through!

Fingers crossed you will get called soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,799 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

As an AP, yes, in the vast majority of offices. You might get away without the tie on a Friday (but keep one in the office for emergencies).
    Thanks for this I was literally about to ask the same question....I am starting on Monday.
    I thought I might get away with a pair of trousers and a shirt and shoes...but looks like I am suit shopping at the weekend!

I contacted new place and they have said it is "business casual"...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

@gmisk Same as that, best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

AP2019 wrote: »
    @gmisk Same as that, best of luck with it!
    Ha ha thanks you too.

Its really a call then between a suit on the first day...or fitted chinos, shoes and shirt....im leaning towards the latter...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

gmisk wrote: »
    Ha ha thanks you too.

Its really a call then between a suit on the first day...or fitted chinos, shoes and shirt....im leaning towards the latter...

I’d go with a suit for the first few days at least and see what the environment is like. What’s the Dept if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rugent

I have my interview next week and am going through my application form. Just wondering for those who have already done the interview do they stick to the competencies or do they refer to or question you questions at the end of the form I.e. questions on experience in:
    #leading teams, developing people, managing stakeholders
    #project / opers management, programmer mgt, managing budgets etc
    # policy development/ analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭lucat

Apologies if this has been asked before- is there any news about a new competition? Are they run annually?

Rugent wrote: »
    I have my interview next week and am going through my application form. Just wondering for those who have already done the interview do they stick to the competencies or do they refer to or question you questions at the end of the form I.e. questions on experience in:
    #leading teams, developing people, managing stakeholders
    #project / opers management, programmer mgt, managing budgets etc
    # policy development/ analysis
    Two good examples for each competency, be prepared from some questions at the end that go on a tangent to a degree (I got a lot of questions on AI/machine learning as I had BI on form).

lucat wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before- is there any news about a new competition? Are they run annually?

I don't have that much experience on how these competitions run, (as i only applied once, on the 2018 one) but I think previous one was 2016 and then 2018. So if this trend continues, next one will be October or November 2020, when this panel expires.

I saw that a PO competition is out. Does anyone know if it's open to AOs and HEOs to apply or only to APs?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

I saw that a PO competition is out. Does anyone know if it's open to AOs and HEOs to apply or only to APs?

It's an open competition so anyone of any grade inside or outside of the civil service can apply.

Whether a HEO or AO would be considered to have an appropriate level of experience is another matter. No reason for someone with good experience before joining the civil service not be considered I suppose.

PCX wrote: »
    It's an open competition so anyone of any grade inside or outside of the civil service can apply.

Whether a HEO or AO would be considered to have an appropriate level of experience is another matter. No reason for someone with good experience before joining the civil service not be considered I suppose.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Update on clearance for the current panel: Late last week they were approx at 33 open 26 InterD.

Advertisement