Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop vs Web Application

Options
  • 17-08-2018 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Not quite sure where this one sits so apologies from the off if I have the wrong forum.

I have a desktop application that I use which writes to a database. There is a single write or read operation at any one time. I'd like to alter the application so that a number of users can use it at once. The way I've gone around this is by having the application on a single PC and sharing the drive location on that PC to other users but because there is only a single read/write operation allowed at any one time this slows it down.

Is there a better way around this? Is it possible to create an "offline" web application or do I need to change the DB I'm working with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

Just give each user a copy of the desktop application to install on their own PC

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Tweeter wrote: »
    Just give each user a copy of the desktop application to install on their own PC

They all need to be able to access the same DB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

That's just a matter of changing the connection string to the database which is probably setup currently to be localhost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

A lot depends on what database is being used. Microsoft access doesn't really work well with multiple users.

srsly78 wrote: »
    A lot depends on what database is being used. Microsoft access doesn't really work well with multiple users.

Yeah but it should be able to work with a handful of users?

• Advertisement

Tweeter wrote: »
    That's just a matter of changing the connection string to the database which is probably setup currently to be localhost

If the master database resides on a single machine then the connection string would need to be different for each deployment, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If the master database resides on a single machine then the connection string would need to be different for each deployment, no?

You could put an entry in the hosts file on each machine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah but it should be able to work with a handful of users?

I haven't tried access in a long time. You can just download a proper database for free instead. Then can use access as a gui with linked tables.

Advertisement