Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL Betting Thread 2018

• 17-08-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Any ante-post bets placed yet?

I've the Jets to make playoffs @ 14/1 only one so far.

Always do a few handicap accas each week along with an over/under yardage singles which I try to accumulate each game with the winnings.

Done a random team fiver four-fold before and returned a profit the last two seasons (nothing huge)

American Football is the only sport where I'm usually head above water each year!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Normally just do the over/under total points.
    Has served me well the last few years.

may branch out into the accas though for weekly team picks

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

I'm seriously considering the Buccs for worst team at 12/1

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Dolphins at 20/1 to be worst team could be an interesting one

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I'm seriously considering the Buccs for worst team at 12/1

We are definitely not the worst team, most likely lose first 3 games but id say we will win 5 games minimum,

its good odds but can definitely see someone else winning 3 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

jester1980 wrote: »
    We are definitely not the worst team, most likely lose first 3 games but id say we will win 5 games minimum,

its good odds but can definitely see someone else winning 3 or less.

I've since changed my mind and I'm going to take a punt on the Seahawks, just a gut feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Can't remember the odds but I put a small one on the sea hawks and Cowboys to win their divisions, mainly down to value. It's highly unlikely but so was the jags/rams insane odds bet I never got around to last year and I had a few spare euro in the account(both were 25/1, and when luck went down jags were still 12/1). Rams could be unreal or could implode.

Keep an eye on rookies where vets get injured ahead of them. Some guys guaranteed to start can be on over/under insanely low yards right at the start of the year because of the calculation it is based off of. Levels out fairly quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,480 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A fully fit Andrew Luck and the Colts have a great chance of winning their division and are priced up at 9/2 or thereabouts.

For a serious bet the Packers with what looks like a decent D are great value at 11/8 imo.

I just don't trust the Colts whatsoever, and while I love to watch him play I find Luck has always been quite overrated and becomes moreso the longer he goes without playing (the realisation was dawning just before his injury but seems to have slipped off since). Anything is possible in the NFL but I would imagine they would need the division to struggle as a whole, and to squeak a division win with a 9-7 record or whatnot to do so. That was actually why I wanted to give the Jags a go last year, but I think they've come on so strong and the Texans with a fit Watson and Watt would be too much to have any real faith in that - the Titans also could be a good lot if they're able to get Mariota back to where he was before last year. I've just got a feeling the AFC South could be a really strong division this year, could be completely wrong there though since they've all got question marks.

You might be right on the Packers, though I prefer longer odds for division bets because of how unpredictable the league can be. Though if the Khalil Mack trade actually happens, that would prove amazing value as they would likely see their odds slashed from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Bears over 6.5 @ 5/7
    Texans over 8.5 @ 4/6
    Brady under 4500 Passing Yards @ evens
    Lamar Jackson Offensive Rookie @ 20/1

Iowa under 7.5 @ evens
    Wisconsin over 9.5 @ 5/6
    Oregon over 8.5 @ evens
    Michigan State to make playoffs @ 4/1 (Just like those odds)
    Washington win PAC12 @ 11/8
    Clemson Outright @ 6/1

Jonathan Taylor Heisman @ 7/1
    Bryce Love Heisman @ 8/1
    Will Grier Heisman @ 20/1 (Again don't think it's a winner, just think the odds are out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I've gone for UCF -23.5 and Northwestern +1.5 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I think the Arizona Cardinals are a very long price for what is not the best division. Sure the Rams are good, but I don't get the 9ers hype and the Seahawks look on a downward trajectory.

16/1 is a more than fair price.

I'm on Michigan State -24 tonight.

Have also bought down on Stanford -9.5 and Wisconsin -33.5.

I like two but not the Stanford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Bears still 100/1 on Bet365 to win the SuperBowl...

Bleacher Report saying they're in to 40/1 in places!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

gerryfed wrote: »
    Bears still 100/1 on Bet365 to win the SuperBowl...

Bleacher Report saying they're in to 40/1 in places!

In to 50/1 now on bet365!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I backed the Seahawks to beat the Raiders the other night thinking there is no way they are going to go 0-4 considering how good they've been in the preseason under Carroll - worrying signs there IMO and could be a bet against team in the opening weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

eagle eye wrote: »

For a serious bet the Packers with what looks like a decent D are great value at 11/8 imo.

They're out to 13/8 with Pinnacle, who most bookies copied their prices off originally. Books over here just slow to update. There's some serious holes on their roster imo. Vikings should be 11/10. I personally think the Lions and Bears are both a tad overpriced at 8s and 9s respectively, although I won't be getting involved. Could be the most competitive division in football, if not the strongest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Not convinced the Bears are "back", they're outsiders of 4 for a reason. Stating the obvious I guess, AFC South most competitive division

Steelers to win and under 45 is available at 9/5 on Ladbrokes which I think looks like a decent bet. The weather is supposed to be attrocious there today, so the under looks good (the total is actually at 40, but this is one of those special #GetAPrice bets that someone has requested).

Also a sneaky bet on Jaylen Samuels for first TD scorer at 28/1.

Nothing is jumping out at me at all from the early games so I stuck €7.50 on a combination of three trebles and a quadruple off the following:

- Steelers -3.5 (@CLE)
    - Steelers/Browns over 42pts
    - Titans -1 (@MIA)
    - Jags -2.5 (@NYG)

Maybe not the greatest idea taking three road favourites and week 1 is usually a good time to blanket cover underdogs but I reckon the Giants are going to take a while to bounce back, their run defense was bad last year which Jacksonville could take advantage of, and the Jags defense is still fecking nasty. I think the Titans could really turn some heads this year, Mularkey just wasn't a very good coach and I'm a big Mariota fan - back healthy and hopefully used right he could easily get back to 2016 form and has a better team around him than then. The Steelers love to bottle it against worse teams on the road so I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment there, just think they'll be playing angry after the Bell situation and the Browns are still coached by Hue Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Steelers -3.5.

Until proven otherwise, the Browns are still the Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Weather in Cleveland is horrible, has delayed the golf. Avoiding that game

Titans -1 evens bet of the day

Baltimore -13.5 @ 6/4 and the Patriots -6.5 @ evs is my double for the early games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Bengals +3.5

Morrison J wrote: »
    Bengals +3.5

Did you buy extra points? They're around -1 everywhere else.

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Steelers to win and under 45 is available at 9/5 on Ladbrokes which I think looks like a decent bet. The weather is supposed to be attrocious there today, so the under looks good (the total is actually at 40, but this is one of those special #GetAPrice bets that someone has requested).

Also a sneaky bet on Jaylen Samuels for first TD scorer at 28/1.

Good shout. Weather aside, sh*t show would not even begin to describe both offenses in that first half.

Billy86 wrote: »
    - Steelers/Browns over 42pts

That must have been ridiculously frustrating for you Billy :o

JaMarcus wrote: »
    That must have been ridiculously frustrating for you Billy :o

Actually, it turns out it was 40.5 or 41+ so I'm not dead yet (see attachment). It was, but because of the three trebles I still pull off a small overall profit IF ...and this has been the more frustrating part... the Titans can win by 2 (which isn't looking likely, especially after that non-TD from Henry just now!). The game started six and a half hours ago and there's still 11 minutes on the clock!! :o

But yeah, would already have the small profit otherwise and be looking for €300 if the Titans do it. On the other hand, if I had 42+ on the points I'd be sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Weather in Cleveland is horrible, has delayed the golf. Avoiding that game

Titans -1 evens bet of the day

Well the weather delays took nearly 4 hours, just a mad game. Will avoid Titans for next couple of weeks, seemed very inexperienced... made some bad bad calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Only 2 small accas today,

Seahawks
    Bears -5.5
    Bills +16.5
    Saints +1.5
    Panthers -2.5

Chiefs -6.5
    Fins -2.5
    Eagles -6.5
    Pack -2.5