Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have to be Happy??

• 17-08-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

..well do you?? its that the way of the world?

and if you're not happy no one wants to know you, you're seen as a leper on society you get the mood down?

it just seems nowadays you have to be happy 24/7 esp young people on social media and the like, i don't think its genuine happiness i think its false and just an act half the time, mainly superficial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Happiness is an emotion . Its impossible to feel it 24/7

You can be content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

It's well known that people use social media to present highly selective, curated versions of their lives where they always appear to be doing something exciting and fun.

It's also known that looking at their friends' social media feeds makes people unhappy, because they feel that their own lives are less exciting and fun by comparison.

The only lesson here is that living or evaluating your life through the lens of social media is a bad idea, because social media distorts everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

its just in several workplaces i've had the misfortune of being in, if you weren't constantly up for the "craic" or banter you'd be sneered at and eventually bullied

and come to think of it i've encountered the same scenario in a rented/shared house situation

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

No and fcuk off annoying me about whats wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

No and fcuk off annoying me about whats wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Happiness covers a wide range of emotions from contentment to exuberant joy. And it's all relative. Personally I settle for contentment.
    Nobody expects everybody to be happy all the time but, at the same time, it can be draining to encounter people who appear to never seem to have attained the emotional state of some sort of contentment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

frosty123 wrote: »
    its just in several workplaces i've had the misfortune of being in, if you weren't constantly up for the "craic" or banter you'd be sneered at and eventually bullied

Well if the craic in the workplace means commenting on other people & talking about lotto numbers and the Daily Mail then I'll be the dry shyte. I'm happy... I have my fun elsewhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Short answer, no.

Every person is perfectly entitled to feel every emotion and sometimes all of them all at once, that's what's "normal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

if you're not happy no one wants to know you, you're seen as a leper on society you get the mood down?

You do not have to be happy. In fact, if you share your problems, you can be seen as a more genuine person and people may try to help you. But if you are not grateful for what you have and do not try to solve your problems in a positive way, your complaints would be perceived as a useless moaning which just gets everyone's mood down.

victor8600 wrote: »
    You do not have to be happy. In fact, if you share your problems, you can be seen as a more genuine person and people may try to help you. But if you are not grateful for what you have and do not try to solve your problems in a positive way, your complaints would be perceived as a useless moaning which just gets everyone's mood down.

This is it. Plenty of people post about having issues and about self care etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

at the same time, it can be draining to encounter people who appear to never seem to have attained the emotional state of some sort of contentment.

Very true. But it can also be very tiring being around somebody who is overly happily and chirpy at all times too!

BDJW wrote: »
    Very true. But it can also be very tiring being around somebody who is overly happily and chirpy at all times too!

had a housemate like that, but it was all superficial BS, had to avoid him in the end a real headwrecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

erica74 wrote: »
    Short answer, no.

Every person is perfectly entitled to feel every emotion and sometimes all of them all at once, that's what's "normal".

well how come sadness/melancholy is not socially accepted? esp amongst the younger generation

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Campogna

If someone is genuinely happy all the time then they very well must be one of the most one-dimensional people in existence. How can you call yourself human when you do not display both the ebbs and flows of one's personality and demonstrate the fact that life is not all joy.

If someone expects you to be happy all the time then they may just be too stupid to understand what it means to be a sentient person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Im content in life. Its a blessing. Many people have a lot more than me and are miserable!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

I find weddings in particular to be excruciating. The pressure to feign relentless jollity is so annoying and irritating.
    Please -you be happy your way and I'll be happy mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

its just in several workplaces i've had the misfortune of being in, if you weren't constantly up for the "craic" or banter you'd be sneered at and eventually bullied...

I would just love to work in a place like this for a couple of weeks. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

If everyone was happy and content all the time the world would end, nothing would get done, no one would be motivated or strive for anything.
    Humans are more prone to suffering than happiness, and it wouldn't be healthy for you to be constantly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Im content in life. Its a blessing. Many people have a lot more than me and are miserable!

Me too, I'm happy with my lot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You don't have to be happy, being content is the best emotion as it is the most balanced. One can't look at the news and see something like the bridge collapse in Genoa, or see a school bombed and children dead and feel happy. We need the various emotions to be alive and realistic.
    Being sad for the right reason is good, trying to be happy because you believe you have to be happy is wrong.
    The aim has to be content and find a way to be content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    You don't have to be happy, being content is the best emotion as it is the most balanced. One can't look at the news and see something like the bridge collapse in Genoa, or see a school bombed and children dead and feel happy. We need the various emotions to be alive and realistic.
    Being sad for the right reason is good, trying to be happy because you believe you have to be happy is wrong.
    The aim has to be content and find a way to be content.

Joy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think think lots of people tips away with their emotions mother of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

People need to grow actual real food, potatoes etc like I do and eat whole foods and do more walking, get out in the fresh air, none of this bottled water or tap water, get water from the rain and freeze it and store it away. This is why people are losing the plot and on medication because they eat utter garbage poisoning themselves and not doing near enough exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Taytoland wrote: »
    none of this bottled water or tap water, get water from the rain and freeze it and store it away. This

How about if you have your own well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭looksee

BDJW wrote: »

It can, but contentment is not the same as happy and chirpy. Even then contentment is not the same as apathy, you can be content and still moving forward with plans and finding things to be interested in.

A life of contentment interspersed with extra happiness to counteract the sadness that inevitably comes to us all. That's probably the best experience of human existence you can hope for.

Upbeat personalities or chirpiness isn't the same as happiness, though I'm sure it can look like it to someone who feels down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

No, you don't have to be happy. But as lots have said being content is a blessing. I am content, but I sometimes have to work at it. There have been some terrible times, but I'm glad to be here. For example 3 months ago I had a really bad accident that almost killed me and it looked like it was going to leave me with a life-changing brain injury, but thank God I got better. Things like that make me appreciate being alive and being well. Still here with my family. Plus I get stupidly enthused by nature. It's like my drug.

Malayalam, I've had similar. I was seriously ill and wasn't expected to live and after that I had a new appreciation for just about everything. Instead of taking even the smallest thing for granted, I was consciously grateful and appreciative of things.

The fast track to unhappiness is to compare your life to others, or to be overly critical of yourself. You need to be focused on the good things you have, and to be your own best friend.

Social media doesn't foster any of that, so overuse of it would probably cause or underline issues in those vulnerable.

boardise wrote: »
    I find weddings in particular to be excruciating. The pressure to feign relentless jollity is so annoying and irritating.
    Please -you be happy your way and I'll be happy mine.

This is exactly what I'm getting at, but it's not just weddings it's seeped into broader society as well and I find it grating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

..well do you?? its that the way of the world?

and if you're not happy no one wants to know you, you're seen as a leper on society you get the mood down?

it just seems nowadays you have to be happy 24/7 esp young people on social media and the like, i don't think its genuine happiness i think its false and just an act half the time, mainly superficial

Ever see the film pleasantville? Nothing unpleasant ever happens and it tuns out to be a bit of an asinine hell. Depression is steadily on the rise in the west and is set to continue this trend. Self help book sections of bookshops and libraries have grown to be one of the bigger sections. Life is bleak at the best of times I often think - a painting of varying shades of grey and black. I've personally experienced the wrath that 'positive' people in 'positive' situations can heap upon someone who doesn't meet the mark of the happy image and it isn't pretty. As the social media campaign went, its should be ok not to be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It's why we have the word "grand".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Particularly in Sports Event - ball / athlete / contatct "Happiness" from the fans / spectators is becoming more de riguer and prerequisite.

That why I just shout & rant at the telly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Well if the craic in the workplace means commenting on other people & talking about lotto numbers and the Daily Mail then I'll be the dry shyte. I'm happy... I have my fun elsewhere. :)

Or analysing Jack and Dani's 'bits'!

To thine own self be true

Advertisement