Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning Fuel in Dublin

Options
  • 17-08-2018 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our living room gets quite cold in the Winter, and the heating doesnt do much to warm it up. We are considering asking our LL to get the chimney cleaned so we can light a fire. I didn't think there would be any issues with this, but a few people have told me that burning coal/turf fires in Dublin is illegal, or that you can only burn smokeless fuel. Can someone clarify on this? We are in Dublin 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

biohaiid wrote: »
    Hi,

Our living room gets quite cold in the Winter, and the heating doesnt do much to warm it up. We are considering asking our LL to get the chimney cleaned so we can light a fire. I didn't think there would be any issues with this, but a few people have told me that burning coal/turf fires in Dublin is illegal, or that you can only burn smokeless fuel. Can someone clarify on this? We are in Dublin 7.
    There is a ban on "proper coal" You Can burn turf briquettes or smokeless coal.
    Make sure that you get the best out of your present heating. Check the windows for any gaps and fill in if necessary and also have draught excluder for the gap under the door. Maximise the heat from radiator by fitting tin foil on the wall behind it. If you decide not to use the fireplace get a buffer to stop any heat going up the chimney but remember to remove if lighting a fire. You could always fit a timer to the electric heating with a thermostat for more efficient use

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Edgware wrote: »
    There is a ban on "proper coal" You Can burn turf briquettes or smokeless coal.
    Make sure that you get the best out of your present heating. Check the windows for any gaps and fill in if necessary and also have draught excluder for the gap under the door. Maximise the heat from radiator by fitting tin foil on the wall behind it. If you decide not to use the fireplace get a buffer to stop any heat going up the chimney but remember to remove if lighting a fire. You could always fit a timer to the electric heating with a thermostat for more efficient use

This is really helpful, thank you!

Advertisement