Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In job long time, fed up!

Options
  • 17-08-2018 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my tenth year in my current job, on the face of it I have it pretty good, I worked up from an entry level position to middle management. Reasonably good wage, though underpaid by about 15% at least. I'm kind of left to my own devices, if I want a day off then I just take it, if I need to leave early I just do, if I want to work from home I do, I don't ask anyone's permission and no one seems to have an issue with this, at least they haven't mentioned it to me if they do. The work itself is easy enough, not particularly stressful. Living the dream eh?

The thing is, I'm here so long that I'm just starting to hate it and everything about it. In particular the people I work with, they're just starting to grate on me with every minor interaction, I find myself being unreasonably irritable and often leave the office just feeling angry!

I'm actively pursuing a career change and will be applying for new jobs in the next six months or so, and I think knowing the end is near in this place has exacerbated my dislike of the job /company /staff. But at the same time I'm also concerned I might bring these feelings with me whenever I go.

Not even sure why I'm posting, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

I have experienced this. Worked with a company for nearly nine years, generally in the same role but with regular variety in tasks etc.
    For the most part I enjoyed my job, but as time passed I found myself becoming frustrated with co-workers and impatient with sometimes insignificant and minor things.
    It was due to the fact that I had gotten all I could out of the role, and there was no real prospect of moving up. I knew the company and my job inside out and this led to me being frustrated and looking at everything through a magnifying glass. Anything from a comment made by a colleague, to seeing colleagues being careless or lazy starting making me so angry! A few years earlier and I wouldn't have even noticed the same thing.
    Time for that change methinks....
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don’t mean to be horrible in any way. But do you have enough going on outside work ??
    Remember work to live not live to work. Your job sounds like it affords flexibility which is hard for and easily worth 15% of pay.

I work along side people I’d never ever want to be friendly with, big mouths and small minds the most of them, but I do front of face hello and smile because the job really, really suits my lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You seem to have it so good that you probably do not realise how bad a bad job can be.

The fact that other colleagues and workers in your job are making mistakes or "lazy" would seem to suggest that the top managers or principals are not watching things as closely as would be ideal in order to maintain market share, customer base or future viability.

While it might be a dream to work in a cushy number for a while, the competition will catch up with your company in time and may reduce your companies income so much that people, including you, are blamed and let go.

You are middle management so you should be in a very good position to judge the effectiveness of the company, its future viability and the state of the workforce as opposed to that of the competition. It might be possible that your sector is so buoyant that easy going work is enough to survive. It might also be possible that your flexible working arrangements actually increases effectiveness and productivity and reduces presenteeism and clock watching, so prevalent in many strict time controlled organisations.

Only you are in a position to judge the emotional and non material needs of your work-life. If you are in the happy position to be debt free or have a very low mortgage or have an understanding partner who can pay the mortgage if times go hard, then a radical change may be in order. The ideal thing would be to have an arrangement where you could return to your job if the break out into the alternative career does not work out. I have known people who did just that, going self-employed for a while to try it out and have returned to their previous role after trying and finding that self employment was not for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Stay in the job. Use your time there to study and get further qualifications. View yourself as a student doing a part-time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP, go back and read the first paragraph of your post, in particular "I can take a holiday when I want, if I want to leave early I just go, if I want to work from home I just do it"..

Some people spend their whole lives trying to get and keep a job which has these perks and you are living it every single day. Remember, the grass is definitely not greener anywhere else and after about a week in a new job with high pressure deadlines, long hours and no flexibility you will be crying for your old job. See the bigger picture and fill your outside life with hobbies to distract from the annoying elements of your job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement