Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish sense of humour

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

fryup wrote: »
    are you irish?

No, she isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

If that ****e mrs browns boys counts as Irish humour then I’m out.... about as funny as a kick in the balls....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

timthumbni wrote: »
    If that ****e mrs browns boys counts as Irish humour then I’m out.... about as funny as a kick in the balls....
    No way as funny as a kick in the balls.....especially somebody else balls .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah Mammy! Oh thats hillarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of people enjoy that. Then again a lot of people enjoy eating KFC shyte as if it's gourmet food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Agricola wrote: »
    Agree. The single greatest ingredient with McSavage is he doesn't give a fúck. He mercilessly rips into all the sacred cows in Irish society and you can tell hes doing it, not just to make a few quid, but because a lot of it really does boil his piss. Comedians with an axe to grind are usually a cut above the rest. I'm actually surprised RTE gave him the time of day such is their preference for safe establishment types.

I have the height of respect for how he takes the piss out of Irish authority groups especially come from a strong Fianna Fail family. He has took the absolute piss out of FF.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I have the height of respect for how he takes the piss out of Irish authority groups especially come from a strong Fianna Fail family. He has took the absolute piss out of FF.
    Only fair . As FF having been taking the Piss out of all of us basically forever .

McSavage is hit and miss at times, but still probably one of the better things to come out of RTE.

For all our talking up about our supposed sense of humour, the comedy output from the state broadcaster is mediocre at best. For far too long RTE comedy had been dominated by unfunny panto types.

I suppose when you are from a small country beside a much bigger one that speaks the same language then it it hard to compete .

The BBC and probably ITV back in the day would find some talent and help it develop in a way that RTE / Ireland could not .

Look at Dave Allen in Britain . He would never have reached those heights in Ireland .

Father Ted ( ok a sitcom ) was developed by Channel Four .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

blinding wrote: »
    No way as funny as a kick in the balls.....especially somebody else balls .

On a side note, I would have voted for "Football In The Groin" with Hans Moleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Agreed. It's absurd to suggest that any nationality, as an unit, has no sense of humour. Styles and incidences of humour depend on sociological factors and differ from person to person. Thankfully humour seems to be a basic human instinct that looks set to last.

Correct
    I'm English and quite a lot of Irish just don't get my "dry" wit
    This is evident at family get togethers when English/Irish are mixed and who does/doesn't laugh at particular things
    I believe sense of humour runs in families too
    My Daughters (Irish) insist myself and my brothers have the same "dry,sarcastic"
    sense of humour :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I

Look at Dave Allen in Britain . He would never have reached those heights in Ireland .

the way he took the mickey out of religion not a chance

the way he the mickey out of religion not a chance
    Is he Ireland’s greatest ever Comedian .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is he Ireland’s greatest ever Comedian .

Frank Carson? :D

Hal Roach? :D

Ah no !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ah no !

Too true.

Cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

We probably do have an exaggerated view of how funny we are. A lot of funny stories come from people being pissed and the fall out from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Mrs. Browns Boys is very much Irish humour, very on the nose and slapstick. We certaintly don't have the dry wit of the Brits(I personally prefer American comedy)

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Mrs. Browns Boys is very much Irish humour, very on the nose and slapstick. We certaintly don't have the dry wit of the Brits(I personally prefer American comedy)
    I thought Mrs Brown’s Boys was some sort of therapy for People with Mental Difficulties....Like...... I may be Mental Myself but I am not as bad as that lot ( Mrs brown’s lot ) so I might as well Perk up because I could be so much worse off ( like that lot )

Public Broadcast Television at its best .

good god no, don't think MBB is typical of irish humour..maybe inner city dublin knacker humour..but not irish in the main

Fr Ted i think is typical of irish humour in broader sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Nail on the head there
    Very few "get" me here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

good god no, don't think MBB is typical of irish humour..maybe inner city dublin knacker humour..but not irish in the main

Fr Ted i think is typical of irish humour in broader sense

Yeah but father ted is very on the nose as well, it doesn't seem like a British comedy. It might to Americans because of the accents(they just lump an Irish accent as British) but the humour is very different to Falty Towers, Not the 9 O clock news, only fools even, Father Ted is much more like an American comedy imo. Dougal's character is very American. Ted is a brilliant character and very Irish but more similar to Frank Drebin than Basil Faulty.

A lot in common with British 'saucy seaside postcard' humour, tits and mickies lolz.

Not sophisticated at all.

A lot in common with British 'saucy seaside postcard' humour, tits and mickies lolz.

the likes of Benny Hill & Carry On movies are saucy..but MBB is just plain vulgar for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Were quite funny conversationally but our written/staged/etc comedy is often brutal and little more than "look at the man with the funny voice and the whacky clothes hyuck hyuck!" witless garbage.

Dylan Moran is phenomena though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭divillybit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Disproportionate number of Irish comedians make it onto British panel comedy shows if we don't have a good sense of humour and make ourselves and the Brits laugh

Mock the week
    Have I got news for you
    8 out of 10 cats does countdown
    QI

Most episodes have an Irish comedian on a panel. We're nearly a token gesture at this stage

Irish humour is awesome. If you find a romantic partner that has good sense of humour hold on to them

I once dated a Moldovan girl for nearly a year. She was gorgeous and all my mates were jealous. She was great to be seen with but her complete lack of understanding of what the hell I was saying most of the time when taking the piss made me pine for a nice Irish cailín again.

British women also have great sense of humour unless you get one of the ditzy dopey ones.

I don't compliment Britain that often but their comedy is excellent mostly and as 2 nations that share tv stations and a language (ooh, controversial I know) we get each other's comedy and sense of humour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The best of Myles
    - Myles na gCopaleen,
    - AKA Flann O'Brien
    - AKA Brian O'Nolan

It's a must read. An anthology of a newspaper colum written at a time when it was Neither Profitable Nor Popular. It's a mixed bag. Lots of incomprehensible passages (especially when in German, latin or as gaeilge) with some some of the worst puns ever, but some lovely word-play and when it's good it's excellent.

The long joke was that while he complained about critics and the lip service paid to force fed Irish language literature like Peig and An t-Oileánach, he wrote the parody An Béal Bocht which outsold a lot of "worthy" books in the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Billy86 wrote: »
    Were quite funny conversationally but our written/staged/etc comedy is often brutal and little more than "look at the man with the funny voice and the whacky clothes hyuck hyuck!" witless garbage.

Dylan Moran is phenomena though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was a docu on about Frank a while back.

He saw action while in the Parachute Regiment.

His catch phrase was in response to one member of the audiance he just wasn't getting through to, because yer man said he'd heard all the jokes before. "but it's the way I tell 'em!"

He was also Mayor of Balbriggan, that I did not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

Irish humour is more based on being as mad as a hatter than actual funny quips, anecdotes, observations or however else you can be funny. This thread came up like a month ago basically, all my friends who are funny are gas men but they are just funny because they slag nonstop and have no boundaries, they aren't witty or anything.
    Most people you see having a natter and a laugh ; one of them is slagging somebody else or 'grounding' them in a exaggerated hyperbole way letting their imagination run wild. Or one of them is grounding the other with real or made up/imagined digs. Or one of them is grounding themselfs just to get in before they get the digs. The two may only barely know each other. Otherwise they are gossiping. Saw a YouTube vid by a yank or Canadian resently where he was only in the country 4 days and said the Irish sense of humor/conversation on first meeting and suseqient encounters is to sound you out by taking the unmerciful piss outa you with very few boundaries and see how you take it? Defo goes back to the peasantry where anybody showing notions would be put in there place. Ireland is extreamly conformist. Just look around .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

Steve F wrote: »
    Correct
    I'm English and quite a lot of Irish just don't get my "dry" wit
    This is evident at family get togethers when English/Irish are mixed and who does/doesn't laugh at particular things
    I believe sense of humour runs in families too
    My Daughters (Irish) insist myself and my brothers have the same "dry,sarcastic"
    sense of humour :eek:
    Deffo agree with this, very little place for dry humour in Eire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, not many dry wits; plenty of dry shìts.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement