Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and children's activities in Naas

Options
  • 17-08-2018 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a new home and we have found a house in Naas that we have fallen in love with.

We are doing our research so no better place than here to provide some impartial and honest advice.

The property is in the Dun Na Riogh estate.

A cursory web search shows 2 or 3 primary schools within a 1 km radius.

Is anyone familiar with these schools?

We have two kids (16 month old boy and 11 day old girl) so it's a bit away yet but I know schools can fill up fast.

We want them to attend a mixed school and have no preference for an English or Gael scoil.

In terms of activities, sports and what not, what are the local clubs like?

Any other info or opinions welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hi there,

I'll wager it's number 31 you're interested in. I've just sold and bought in Naas this summer, market is strong cause of a lack of properties. I'd say there's a lot of interest in that house given the size and detached. If that goes for less than €550k I'd be surprised.

Regarding schools, they are all well regarded, in most you can only put down names a year ahead of time.

For sport I think GAA is the best organised, that's where I'll be sending my kids (they're too young at the mo). Naas GAA is very close to that house. I played in the local soccer league until recently. Not sure what it's like for kids but I felt it lacked the same organisation standards as GAA.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yo BC, fancy seeing you here!

From what I've heard, scoil bride is good. They have an after-school itenary that you'd nearly go to yourself. Loads of sports, Lego club, etc. The gaa is beside it, there were over 400 kids at the cul camp last month, they set the record. Hopefully the kids return that favour in 20 years with a few medals? Hey, a man can dream.

I'm only around the corner from that estate. Here 6 years. And we've yet to have a beers. The shame. Congrats on No. 2 btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cerdito wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'll wager it's number 31 you're interested in. I've just sold and bought in Naas this summer, market is strong cause of a lack of properties. I'd say there's a lot of interest in that house given the size and detached. If that goes for less than €550k I'd be surprised.

Regarding schools, they are all well regarded, in most you can only put down names a year ahead of time.

For sport I think GAA is the best organised, that's where I'll be sending my kids (they're too young at the mo). Naas GAA is very close to that house. I played in the local soccer league until recently. Not sure what it's like for kids but I felt it lacked the same organisation standards as GAA.

We were in the mix but had to bow out at €570, a cash buyer was against us. It was a stunning property. We are going to view a few other places over the next few days in or around Naas anyway so the comments are appreciated.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

We were in the mix but had to bow out at €570, a cash buyer was against us. It was a stunning property. We are going to view a few other places over the next few days in or around Naas anyway so the comments are appreciated.

Cheers lads.

That's a pity. We ended up having to pay nearly 10% over the asking for our place so it's common at the moment.

If you need any other advice PM me, we probably looked in every estate in Naas over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

First I’m giving you advice on cars in the other thread and now on Nass :D:D

We’re here 2.5 years and have kids in preschool. Doing primary school research at the moment - we’re aiming for Sallins primary school due to good reports from childminder and other parents and also it’s reasonably close to us. Scoil Bhride is our back up plan as it’s only an extra few hundred meters away. Scoil Bhride leads to St. Mary’s for secondary level (all girls), Sallins leads to the community college (mixed) which is being relocated to the Millenium Park. (Currently down near Pipers Hill)

Clubs and activities are easy. Ours are in dancing and swimming lessons locally and will be in GAA when old enough - Naas GAA is very good. Haven’t wanted any activities for them that aren’t/ weren’t available.

Best of luck with the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

IrishZeus wrote: »
    . Scoil Bhride leads to St. Mary’s for secondary level (all girls), Sallins leads to the community college (mixed) which is being relocated to the Millenium Park. (Currently down near Pipers Hill).
    Just a clarification. The Mercy Convent primary school at the RC church is the feeder school for St Mary’s College. Pupils from Scoil Bhride are admitted but it’s not a direct link between the two. That may change over the years but it’s something to consider.

Advertisement