Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat friendly shared accomodation

Options
  • 17-08-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I am struggling to find somewhere to rent the where I can bring my cat in Dublin (preferably south or city centre). I am a 30 year old professional female working in the city centre and looking for a house/apartment share or studio apartment. If anybody knows of anywhere I would be much obliged!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think you may have a problem A. trying to rent anything at all, and B. trying to rent anything at all with a cat.

That's the reality. Housesharers may not like cats. Landlords in general do not like them because they scratch all the furniture. Not everyone likes a tray of cat litter in their home either.

Maybe FB or a local shop that you can put a card in the window or something (like in the seventies before online).

Hope you get sorted, but it's a jungle out there for those WITHOUT cats for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Facebook have a page for pet friendly accommodation listings, check for it using the search function.
    You could also try Roomigo which is like a match up site for people advertising rooms in sharing/ subletting its new but may be worth a shot.
    Cats tend damage furniture so you could offer a double deposit to try put peopled mind and rest if dealing directly with the landlord
    Good luck its very very hard to find anything reasonable at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Katieo1788 wrote: »
    Hi, I am struggling to find somewhere to rent the where I can bring my cat in Dublin (preferably south or city centre). I am a 30 year old professional female working in the city centre and looking for a house/apartment share or studio apartment. If anybody knows of anywhere I would be much obliged!

Single, female, 30 and owns a cat - how unusual.

We did not see a specific exclusion clause in the ad for the apartment we rented and it was not a prominent clause in the lease meaning, if a dispute arose, we had reasonable grounds to argue that, so long as our cat did not cause any issue we are allowed to have him there.

The approach with pets, irrespective of lease terms, should be that any damage caused is paid for by the owner but there should be no ban on them for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Single, female, 30 and owns a cat - how unusual.

We did not see a specific exclusion clause in the ad for the apartment we rented and it was not a prominent clause in the lease meaning, if a dispute arose, we had reasonable grounds to argue that, so long as our cat did not cause any issue we are allowed to have him there.

The approach with pets, irrespective of lease terms, should be that any damage caused is paid for by the owner but there should be no ban on them for no reason.

Why should the owner of a property they are leasing or renting to a tenant pay for damage done by the tenants pet?

It should be the tenant that pays for the damage there it does if it does do any damage.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There could possibly be someone out there looking for a flat mate who would actually welcome a cat - someone who likes cats but doesn't want the responsibility of ownership.

It will be hard to find this person, but they may exist.

This is why the cat cafés are so popular in Japan - because lots of people just can't have their own cats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement