Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet in Douglas

Options
  • 17-08-2018 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all, I have just moved to cork and have got a place in the oaks in Maryborough ridge. Who is the best internet provider for this area? Looking for something with a good download speed. Is SIRO coming to the area any time soon? Appreciate any help you have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

https://switcher.ie/broadband/

Let me know how you get on I may needs some too soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Don't think SIRO is coming any time soon, I reckon Virgin is probably going to be the fastest available (certainly in terms of listed speed anyway), probably can get up to 360Mbps there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MrHeisenberg

Checked virgin website and it looks like they don’t provide service in Maryborough ridge, at least not to the oaks. Would calling them be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Checked virgin website and it looks like they don’t provide service in Maryborough ridge, at least not to the oaks. Would calling them be any different?
    It's worth trying. My apartment years ago wasn't on the website, but I rang and turned out the cable passed under the window so they added the address and the install went without a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It might be worthwhile - similar to the story above our office in Douglas wasn't listed as being served, but when we got in touch they were able to extend a local line a bit to get it in.

• Advertisement

Update so far: Got in contact with Virgin and their address team are to check it out and get back to me in 2-3 days. Eir can provide broadband up to 5Mbps and Sky up to 6.1Mbps. Vodafone cannot supply broadband to my house. Digiweb would not be able to do better than Eir and I am awaiting feedback from Magnet and Pure Telecoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Update so far: Got in contact with Virgin and their address team are to check it out and get back to me in 2-3 days. Eir can provide broadband up to 5Mbps and Sky up to 6.1Mbps. Vodafone cannot supply broadband to my house. Digiweb would not be able to do better than Eir and I am awaiting feedback from Magnet and Pure Telecoms.
    Strange as they all use the exact same connection!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Strange as they all use the exact same connection!

I was thinking that they would all be through the eir phoneline but wasn't too sure. I really hope Virgin can hook me up but I'm not too optimistic. What is 5Mb like and is it likely to be really 5Mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Did they clarify if it's 5 megabits per second (Mbps) or 5 megabytes per second (MBs)? As there is quite a difference.

5 megabits is very slow for this day and age, 5 megabytes on the other hand would be grand really

siblers wrote: »
    Did they clarify if it's 5 megabits per second (Mbps) or 5 megabytes per second (MBs)? As there is quite a difference.

5 megabits is very slow for this day and age, 5 megabytes on the other hand would be grand really

No they didn't I just assumed it was megabytes

• Advertisement

Ok this is weird I checked the address of the apartment right next to me and they can get speed up to 90 Mbps from eir. Eir sales team can only offer me 5Mbps and "When you become eir customer, you will get preference in broadband speed upgrade". Has anyone any idea how long it would take to upgrade or who can I contact that could upgrade it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That's pretty weird. Sounds like you're in a development with extremely poor connectivity!
    Virgin Media's widely available throughout Douglas and Eir FTTC should be available, with speeds at present of up to 100mbit/s. Parts of Mount Oval even have FTTH too with 1Gbit/s

If the connection's THAT bad, maybe look at something like NovaNetworks or Imagine LTE or something like that. They aren't usually something you'd be considering in an urban area though.

You can find areas that are within cities that still have abysmal broadband though. It can be pot luck and issue of legacy decisions on how telephone wiring was run i.e. no cabinets - all underground.

Advertisement