Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooperating teacher wont give me a reference

Options
  • 18-08-2018 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi im an NQT and ive been filling out application forms for jobs. Theyre asking for references and the only people who have for this are the staff that I worked closely with during my teaching practice. I contacted one of my cooperating teachers but he wont allow me to include him as a reference. I worked closely with him all year, he was nice and helpful but there were some issues. My placement had no materials, before I started the principle told me I could get some but they kept putting this off, it got to the point were I had to fund materials myself, I wasnt in a good financial situation to begin with but I bought materials throughout the year as no work could get done otherwise, over the year I must have spent 250+ on my placement. Eventually the principal told me to send a list and she'd get my cooperating teacher to order what was needed so I did but the materials never came. She asked me about them and if I got them but I said I didnt. It turned out that my cooperating teacher did order materials but he didnt tell me, he locked them away and kept them for his own classes.
    I was only in his class for roughly 2 hours spread out over the week, I worked well with the learners, I had a great relationship with them and was always friendly with my cooperating teacher but towards the end he seemed to get a bit agitated at me being there and questioned when I was finishing up placement, when I told him he made a comment about how his classes can go back to normal.
    Otherwise he was friendly and we often had conversations and seemed to get on well but I noticed his attitude would change towards me when other members of staff came into the room, ignoring me, becoming a bit cold and telling me to finish up my class. It was odd but I didnt think about it too much. He wrote me a reference but it was awful, he did say some nice things but the spelling and grammar were disgraceful and, in parts he made it sound like he mentored me and that all my progress was a direct result off his input. He also wouldnt put any contact information on the reference and when I asked him too he reluctantly agreed.
    My other cooperating teacher gave me a great reference and really built up my strengths.

I messaged him to ask if I could put his name down as a reference, they most likely wont contact him anyway but despite the message being seen he hasnt replied. Is it a case that he didnt like me? I dont understand, I worked so hard all year and put so much into that placement to walk away without even a reference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Reference from the other cooperating teacher + reference from the principal of the idiot you had the misfortune to have in your life for too long.
    With principa you might need to make out singe Bullitt points of things you did/achieved before he writes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I messaged him to ask if I could put his name down as a reference, they most likely wont contact him anyway but despite the message being seen he hasnt replied. Is it a case that he didnt like me? I dont understand, I worked so hard all year and put so much into that placement to walk away without even a reference.
    You don't seem to quite get the reference idea. He could say he'll be your reference, and ensure any job you apply for that rings him will never offer you a job.

He has said no, so further pestering may be a bad idea in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

the_syco wrote: »
    You don't seem to quite get the reference idea. He could say he'll be your reference, and ensure any job you apply for that rings him will never offer you a job.

He has said no, so further pestering may be a bad idea in the long run.

To echo the_syco don't use him as a reference
    It turned out that my cooperating teacher did order materials but he didnt tell me, he locked them away and kept them for his own classes.
    ....He wrote me a reference but it was awful, ..
    He was dishonest with you and gave you an awful written reference, don't offer to let him speak to anyone on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Two references out of three is not bad. Just move on and hope you never have the misfortune of working with him ever again.

More importantly
    before I started the principle told me I could get some but they kept putting this off and if

Principle?

That’s a school boy error.

Detention for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

written references aren't worth the paper they are written on. Its always a phone call and I would never chat to a teacher about a teacher to be honest as you always get a grand reference. Its always school management that you ring, whether they put them down as referee or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ve never been asked for a reference from a PME student. They always go to management and the college

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I’ve never been asked for a reference from a PME student. They always go to management and the college

Same and I would never give one of my PME students a reference, it’s not my job to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Written References need to come from principal or deputy principal. And they don't have to give you a written reference , most just say use my name and number. It doesn't stop some schools from asking for written references unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Thanks everyone, we were told to get references from cooperating teachers when in college and we had to include the references with our teaching practice reports, I also didnt have much interaction with the principals of the schools so thats why I asked the teachers when job searching. Thanks for your responses, I contacted the principal and she said it was fine to put her name down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Principals and a head lecturer from college - one that would know you better than just a number. That's what I have always used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

The best ref you can have is from your main TP inspector. He/She knows your teaching strengths and will highlight these in any ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Yeah but schools only want principals referees.

Advertisement